Mojave Arrma Mojave dead rear shocks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You should be halfway down the adjustment threads on shock body with preload or more depending on battery/motor combo weight. Mojave springs are soft linear k-value for plush ride during high speed rough terrain, but you still need enough rebound to naturally keep the arm’s angle split between full droop and chassis squat.
Would it be better to run slightly stiffer springs?

Looks like arrma has a range of them.

Hi,
So i am quite new to the hobby and straight away bought my dream car .. The Arrma Mojave EBX.
So i built it up and took it for a ride and during the fist pack i noticed it was riding really really low on the back.
Being a noob I thought it was supposed to be that way, maybe some mud or whatever weighing it down making it ride low.

After the first pack i took it inn for a cleaning and I noticed the back right was slightly leaning. And then after further inspecting notice it dosent actuallt rebound as it should.
Is this normal??
I see you already inspected the shocks. Apart from checking for binding and oil level did you check if the shocks are properly sealed? Without good sealing they will (slowly) start leaking, but also the rebound won't be working properly. Even a small flaw in the o-rings that won't be visible can cause this. Here's how I check for o-ring sealing:

a. Take the shock cap (with bladder still in the cap) off and make sure the oil is at the desired level. Slowly push the shock shaft up and down a couple of times in order for any visible air bubbles getting out. Now repeat, but (try to) wiggle the shock shaft when pushing up and down the shock shaft. In case the sealing is not working properly you will see new air bubbles arising at the seal retainer where the o-rings are.

b. If the shocks are properly sealed you may want to use the spring retainer to set for more pre-load. At the picture of your Mojave I see the not much pre-load. The Mojave has pretty soft stock springs. I run mine with quite bit more pre-load (also runnig with big heavy lipo's).

c. If you did both and still are not satisfied about the rebound, you can also buy stiffer springs. But mine are still in the spare parts box;). You want to find that sweetspot for JUST enough rebound, but still keeping that soft suspension the Mojave is known for soaking up little bumps.

1680523518004.png

Unless the shaft is bent or the piston is oversized and binding its a preload problem. Put the preload halfway and the car ground clearence will increase. Idk how this is an issue. Its a working shock with no spring tension and thats why its sitting very low. I can unthread all my spring tension on my kraton and its going to look like the mojave on the original post

I see you already inspected the shocks. Apart from checking for binding and oil level did you check if the shocks are properly sealed? Without good sealing they will (slowly) start leaking, but also the rebound won't be working properly. Even a small flaw in the o-rings that won't be visible can cause this. Here's how I check for o-ring sealing:

a. Take the shock cap (with bladder still in the cap) off and make sure the oil is at the desired level. Slowly push the shock shaft up and down a couple of times in order for any visible air bubbles getting out. Now repeat, but (try to) wiggle the shock shaft when pushing up and down the shock shaft. In case the sealing is not working properly you will see new air bubbles arising at the seal retainer where the o-rings are.

b. If the shocks are properly sealed you may want to use the spring retainer to set for more pre-load. At the picture of your Mojave I see the not much pre-load. The Mojave has pretty soft stock springs. I run mine with quite bit more pre-load (also runnig with big heavy lipo's).

c. If you did both and still are not satisfied about the rebound, you can also buy stiffer springs. But mine are still in the spare parts box;). You want to find that sweetspot for JUST enough rebound, but still keeping that soft suspension the Mojave is known for soaking up little bumps.

View attachment 290241
Excellent tips thanks! I have an order inn for some new shocks parts and oil. I took them apart and i do notice some leaking on the back right shock.
But for now I have increased pre-load from like 3mm to 13-14mm wich has helped a bunch.
Some further tuning needed I am sure.
not sure if it was mentioned here already but is there a chance you could have swapped the front/rear springs? looks like they are different lengths from the parts diagram. rear is 110mm front is 70mm?
No chance :) Came like this out of the box.
Unless the shaft is bent or the piston is oversized and binding its a preload problem. Put the preload halfway and the car ground clearence will increase. Idk how this is an issue. Its a working shock with no spring tension and thats why its sitting very low. I can unthread all my spring tension on my kraton and its going to look like the mojave on the original post
Yea being a noob i was just under the assumption that the pre-load was sett closer to what its supposed to be.
A 6S pack, reinforced body and mud/snow/wett grass really exacerbated the issue of low riding the back.

A learning experience for sure :)

Thanks for all the tips and tricks guys.

I was mistaken, I’m only 1/4-1/3 of the way down on my Mojave in first image and run 1/6 scale bead locks.
~2nd pic is a wide-armed Mojave with fireteam springs
~notorious in background has much softer spring rate and about halfway with preload

452B7705-7C15-4214-A998-143B83F4FD18.jpeg

79C02AED-8494-470E-8535-A8BB7643D2E5.jpeg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back