Audiofiles/Home Audio/Theater/New Electronics/New Monitors/New TV's ETC..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gotnitro

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
I searched and didn't find anything, if there is an existing thread like this (other than what's your other money pit) my apologies. I wanted a dedicated Audio/electronics thread. I've been seeing lots of cool home audio set up's in here and I figured I'd make a thread where it all can be seen. Please feel free to add pics and explain your madness and what you got going on. If you see anything brand new come out in these category's please post it! I was at my local electronics dealer (ABT) this morning looking for something new. Same story as RC, covid has slowed down all new releases. Here are a few shots of mine. Excuse the wife's need to put her foofoo decorations around Nitro's electronics. I'm an SVS fanboi as you will see... Hard to get 1 shot with all the heights and surround's. I replaced all my Klipsch with SVS about 4 years ago. First shot are SVS ultra bookshelf's I run on my computer desk. Last shot I run the fronts off 3 Outlaw mono blocks, the surround all comes from the Marantz in the rest of the satellite/heights and SS pics. If the wife would let me, I'd have a AV rack in the corner and run each speaker mono blocked. That ain't happening... :rolleyes::ROFLMAO:

6.JPG
5.JPG
4.JPG
3.JPG
2.JPG
1.JPG

I was big into audio when I was younger and got out of it for a while...
Now that our new home has a pre-wired theater room I am in the market for a setup. I am debating on in wall speakers for a clean look + a sub in the corner somewhere if someone has a recommendation?

My dad had a pair of interesting speakers that were very old, and at the time he purchased them, were quite expensive. What made them interesting was the 15" down firing sub, 3-way setup, and large marble slabs on the tops of them. After 30+ years of life the woofers were damaged and everything needed a rebuild. Knowing how to do automotive paint, I went with a PPG black with clear coat that complimented the white marble top. I didn't go with the most expensive components, but built them to be well powered with a typical 100 watt per channel receiver output. (as usual it is about matching components). With these 2 each having 15" woofers and a separate 600 watt amplified 12" long travel sub, they would rattle the AC vents and pictures hanging on the walls.

Capture.JPG

FinishedCapture.JPG

Now that our new home has a pre-wired theater room I am in the market for a setup. I am debating on in wall speakers for a clean look + a sub in the corner somewhere if someone has a recommendation?

Man.. I have a buddy that has dual S7201's from PSA. They literally shake your cloths off of you... Another friend of ours has a single TV18 and it makes my SVS-16 ultra look foolish and it's not at all. I didn't post a pic of the 16 yet. https://www.powersoundaudio.com/pages/subwoofers If I were to get another sub, it would be from PSA.

Is that set up in front or did you do the famous sub crawl first before landing it home? That's incredible looking! It must pound!
It's near the front right corner of the room, I did take measurements to find the best spot. Was originally going to put it in the ceiling but the slope of the roof was too steep.
Who needs roof trusses, subs are more important! lol. LOVE IT!! I bet your whole house shakes when you crank that up.
Thank you, yes there are usually some pictures and dishes moved around after a movie. You don't need bass shakers with an IB setup.

Love this thread. Ive been into two channel audio since I was a boy. Most of what I own is old but extremely well built and good sounding. No Japanese receivers here (they can sound good but not what I’m into) All golden age of hi fi made in USA. I have some “modern” tube gear from the early eighties to a heavy hitting McIntosh system from the early nineties.

Infinity speakers from the late 70’s to the early ‘90’s are my passion. I’ve rescued many pairs from curbside to driving 800miles in one day to Cleveland and back for an extremely rare pair of QLS1. All in all I’ve own and restored to original condition maybe 20 or so pairs of huge Infinity speakers. Today infinity makes decent consumer speakers but were cutting edge hi end gear and made some of the finest sounding speakers in there earlier years.

I’ve post pics of my stuff before in other threads so I won’t bore you with those. Just a couple that I don’t think I shared. The ones next to my wife are the mighty Infinity Quantum Line Source 1. They are 185lbs apiece, will eat amplifiers for lunch and have a fairly flat response to 19hertz. There’s no need for a sub with those. The silver amplifier is an Audio Research d115 stereo tube amp. It is the finest tube amp I’ve owned and highly regarded. That amp weighs 85lbs and has a power supply that could kill you even if it’s not plugged in. I love that Audio Research trade marked “high definition” in 1972. They were hd before hd...The pic with my fire place is an Odyssey amp and Infinity RSII speakers, there’s also a pic of my McIntosh MC7200 driving the huge QLS1. That amp is stable to 1ohm and is amazing, just a sonic marvel, I found it at a consignment shop...the speaker on its back is the Infinity RSIIb that I rebuilt. The last pic is an Audio Research sp6b tube preamp.

I’m sure most of you guys are into more modern equipment but if you are ever in a thrift shop and you see a large piece of old looking Audio gear with very few controls or lights and it weighs far more than you think it should you buy it. You may get be surprised...
AD702A20-EEFA-45FE-8F27-8CA697FC461B.jpeg
4BBAD47B-A2C2-48BE-8B7A-421717BD4055.jpeg
5DEA4927-E427-4F8E-9D7E-4AEE77AF6A56.jpeg
5713CC29-A830-48D0-94E8-352326FBCE6A.jpeg
993A9531-53F3-4F84-B5D2-D3D251DFE0C4.jpeg
6AFA3D77-F4F3-4E51-815F-1C9817F2C5A3.jpeg

57D77ED0-A4EF-4734-B95C-D897EEF76CF0.jpeg

3AB1DD31-8C8F-40DF-A686-C448C32172D2.jpeg

6926BFE9-0773-49FF-8E41-44DC41BDA678.jpeg

95A58A39-545C-426C-9C9D-10350BA9EDA5.jpeg

41946BD0-BDFC-41F6-B629-E3B81FC1FB9A.jpeg

Got a few things I've been rebuilding sloooowly. I'm about 90% finished with a complete tear-down and rebuild of a Heathkit AR-15, Heath's first "Bad Boy" receiver. ALL new capacitors, rebuilt output transistor heatsinks, cleaned all the controls and switches with DeoxIT 5, new 3-wire power cord, and a full alignment with my *calibrated* test equipment, including a rebuilt Heathkit IG-37 stereo generator. Getting the tuner aligned was a snap, but I couldn't align the Multiplex assembly (well, I could have used over-the-air stations) until I had a "proper" signal generator, so I spent a few months rebuilding one I found.

The next unit I'll run through the shop is a Heathkit AA-1640, another Heath "Big Bruiser" design. Rated at 200W RMS per channel into 8 Ohms. The thing's built like a battleship, and weighs in at 60 lbs.

Still not sure what I'm going to do for speakers. I built some "Near Field Monitors" last summer, but this amp would turn them into a pile of smoldering components!

Love this thread. Ive been into two channel audio since I was a boy. Most of what I own is old but extremely well built and good sounding. No Japanese receivers here (they can sound good but not what I’m into) All golden age of hi fi made in USA. I have some “modern” tube gear from the early eighties to a heavy hitting McIntosh system from the early nineties.

Infinity speakers from the late 70’s to the early ‘90’s are my passion. I’ve rescued many pairs from curbside to driving 800miles in one day to Cleveland and back for an extremely rare pair of QLS1. All in all I’ve own and restored to original condition maybe 20 or so pairs of huge Infinity speakers. Today infinity makes decent consumer speakers but were cutting edge hi end gear and made some of the finest sounding speakers in there earlier years.

I’ve post pics of my stuff before in other threads so I won’t bore you with those. Just a couple that I don’t think I shared. The ones next to my wife are the mighty Infinity Quantum Line Source 1. They are 185lbs apiece, will eat amplifiers for lunch and have a fairly flat response to 19hertz. There’s no need for a sub with those. The silver amplifier is an Audio Research d115 stereo tube amp. It is the finest tube amp I’ve owned and highly regarded. That amp weighs 85lbs and has a power supply that could kill you even if it’s not plugged in. I love that Audio Research trade marked “high definition” in 1972. They were hd before hd...The pic with my fire place is an Odyssey amp and Infinity RSII speakers, there’s also a pic of my McIntosh MC7200 driving the huge QLS1. That amp is stable to 1ohm and is amazing, just a sonic marvel, I found it at a consignment shop...the speaker on its back is the Infinity RSIIb that I rebuilt. The last pic is an Audio Research sp6b tube preamp.

I’m sure most of you guys are into more modern equipment but if you are ever in a thrift shop and you see a large piece of old looking Audio gear with very few controls or lights and it weighs far more than you think it should you buy it. You may get be surprised... View attachment 100900View attachment 100901View attachment 100902View attachment 100903View attachment 100904View attachment 100905

View attachment 100895

View attachment 100896

View attachment 100897

View attachment 100898

View attachment 100899

That's cool as FUG!! ^^^ My father in law has a set of mint Patrician 700's he bought new in the mid 60's. I hope he's got us in his will for them lol.

Some of the vintage marantz gear is $$$
Yes it does, collectors call it the Marantz tax. I owned some early marantz gear. These two pieces were made in California before Marantz moved manufacturing to Japan. Regrettably I sold these very clean pieces.
97493774-1B2A-498B-A821-E2978224D7AD.jpeg
A9DF8F49-5BEA-4A8D-8485-22F2337D65FA.jpeg

Outlaw is nice but once I got into rotel and anthem power amps. I never looked back.
Rotel is great gear, very reasonable prices. They've been around since the early '60's and are owned by the UK company Bowers and Wilkins (known for fine speakers). Their 1080 amp is a real sleeper in the used market.
https://outlawaudio.com/shop/index.php?id_product=28&rewrite=model-7900&controller=product

I'm a Outlaw fan due to their underrating in power. That ^^ thing requires 2 dedicated 15AMP breaker lines. 300Wx7 at an ungodly 145lbs would ROCK anyone's home theater! ..
That amp is a bruiser. Dust the ceiling with that guy., better stock up on joint compound.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back