Register and gain access to Discussions, Reviews, Tech Tips, How to Articles, and much more - on the largest Arrma RC community for RC enthusiasts that covers all aspects of the Arrma-RC brand!

Register Today It's free! This box will disappear once registered!

ball joint fix

Discussion in 'Nero, Big Rock & Fazon' started by tunepoet, Jun 26, 2018.

1. tunepoet

tunepoet Member

Arrma RC's:
    Nero
    Hello;

This may be old hat for the experienced, but are their any tricks to getting a ball joint to twist onto a turnbuckle? Hot water? Something to stretch the nylon? etc. Your advice is highly regarded.

Blessings,
    Damon †

2. olds97_lss

olds97_lss Premium Member!
    Premium Member

Use a spare turnbuckle to thread it using a drill. You have to flip the turnbuckle for threaded ends as they are threaded in opposing directions. Hold the ball end in pliers, then use the drill to let you thread the turnbuckle in straight. Gives you more control and isn't as annoying.

slick2500 likes this.
  3. slick2500

slick2500 Well-Known Member

Arrma RC's:
    Outcast
    A little lube on the thread helps from my understanding.

4. olds97_lss

Premium Member

Yeah, a little bar soap or wax works too. Then it doesn't collect dirt when out bashing.

slick2500 likes this.
  5. slick2500

Arrma RC's:
    Outcast
    I swear I saw a guy use chapstick once.

6. 2fast4u

2fast4u Well-Known Member

Arrma RC's:
    Kraton
    I use silicone spray with good results. It may not apply here threading into plastic but I had an experience once when I maintained a fleet of class 8 trucks where heavy lube (gear oil) on the threads of a new pinion with a new nut hydraulicly locked before the nut was even clear on the shaft using a 1350 ft.lb. air impact. Cleaned the pinion and nut with brake cleaner applied the proper thin lube (which I just didn't feel like going over and getting in the first place) and then spun it on by hand to the nylon ring and finished just fine with the impact.

7. tunepoet

tunepoet Member

Arrma RC's:
    Nero
    Thanks... Ok, some sort of lubricant. The drill is a good idea but the turnbuckle is already connected on the wheel side, and I don't have a spare turnbuckle to experiment with. appreciated! †

8. slick2500

Arrma RC's:
    Outcast
    If you are careful you can stick the rod end in the drill.

9. tunepoet

tunepoet Member

Arrma RC's:
    Nero
    thanks, I will think about it but not sure I have the confidence to give that a shot, but I will have a look at the drill...

10. olds97_lss

Premium Member

Well, you could chuck the turnbuckle in the drill and remove it from the rodend on the truck, then flip the turnbuckle, thread the rod end that hasn't been threaded yet, then thread the other end while still on the truck.

2fast4u likes this.
  11. tunepoet

tunepoet Member

Arrma RC's:
    Nero
    Got it done thanks (kind of relieved). Used some soap combined with excessive force. my palms have new creases in them.

blessings †

• Welcome to Arrma Forum

Arrma Forum is a Arrma RC fan site that was started to give Arrma RC enthusiasts a place to come together and discuss and share their experiences with the entire Arrma-RC product line, such as the Arrma Kraton, Arrma Talion, and Arrma Granite.

We welcome all Arrma RC enthusiasts, both new and old, racers and bashers that share a common goal - a willingness to help and learn.
  • Disclaimer