BashingBrian's X Maxx questions and experiences ( from a Traxxas noob )

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BashingBrian

#ArrmaAddict #RCwhore
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Outcast 8s
  4. Outcast EXB
  5. Talion EXB
  6. Typhon 6s
Just got new X Maxx today, first run will be tomorrow.. ;)

My questions for all the X Maxx owners out there...
Will be running totally stock for now, just using adapters for the batteries ( no way was I buying Traxxass batteries :ROFLMAO: )

Do I need to, is it best to vent the tyres ?
Is there anything I should do before first run ?

Mmmmm new RC smell .. :cool:

IMG_8451.jpeg

Last edited:
Definitely a fun truck to drive. I bought mine used from here so never tried stock tires but I've heard and seen nothing but bad things about them. Get you some arrma 8s backflips =D

I’d vent the tires and tape up the inside holes. I like my stock tires, but it does seem a lot of people have trouble with them. The trouble with running backflips is they rub or you need a wide kit.

Just got new X Maxx today, first run will be tomorrow.. ;)

My questions for all the X Maxx owners out there...
Will be running totally stock for now, just using adapters for the batteries ( no way was I buying Traxxass batteries :ROFLMAO: )

Do I need to, is it best to vent the tyres ?
Is there anything I should do before first run ?

Mmmmm new RC smell .. :cool:

View attachment 319164
Personally I would just have the connectors changed to what I'm using in my batteries. Adapters are a failure point.

Personally I would just have the connectors changed to what I'm using in my batteries. Adapters are a failure point.
Will only be running adaptors for it's first run, it will then probably get a Max6 fitted in it. Will sell off the Traxxass ESC.

Will only be running adaptors for it's first run, it will then probably get a Max6 fitted in it. Will sell off the Traxxass ESC.
Dammit.. here I was hoping you will need one in the near future. Lol a buddy bought an Xmaxx and put the xlx2 in it and gave me the VXL 8s for science sh1ts and giggles. Almost a year later haven't found a use for it. Yet.

I’d vent the tires and tape up the inside holes. I like my stock tires, but it does seem a lot of people have trouble with them. The trouble with running backflips is they rub or you need a wide kit.
I always forget this part! I do have the m2c wide kit on my xmaxx :eek:

It seems like most people change out for a Max6 on the stock X-Maxx. YMMV on the stock ESC but I see plenty of older ones around still going!

I have heard to make sure the pinion is tight and thread lock on the grub screw. Plenty of threads on losing the pinion and possibly destroying the spur on the first couple runs.

I like to tape the holes inside the wheels and not vent.

Congrats!! It's a blast of a truck I think. I had issues with the foams giving up rather quickly on mine, but I did get it during winter so maybe the snow is to blame,IDK. I vented the outside, taped the insides but still lost the foams. Stock gears have held up just fine for me. I did drop a Max6 in it, seems to have more punch, the higher BEC volts really woke the stock servo up.
I have been running O8s BF's for over a year, +10mm hubs. They still rub, really need +15mm to clear the wheels. I now have 1 BF where the foam has gone away unfortunately. Snow I guess? Many run 20/50 gearing with stock motor, I can't. The motor is hitting 200f on 70 degree days..18/50 seems good. Aside from hub extensions,tires and Max6 all stock. It's been a great truck for me, heck I'm still rocking original non HD arms!! Enjoy brother 👍😎🍻

Congrats!! It's a blast of a truck I think. I had issues with the foams giving up rather quickly on mine, but I did get it during winter so maybe the snow is to blame,IDK. I vented the outside, taped the insides but still lost the foams. Stock gears have held up just fine for me. I did drop a Max6 in it, seems to have more punch, the higher BEC volts really woke the stock servo up.
I have been running O8s BF's for over a year, +10mm hubs. They still rub, really need +15mm to clear the wheels. I now have 1 BF where the foam has gone away unfortunately. Snow I guess? Many run 20/50 gearing with stock motor, I can't. The motor is hitting 200f on 70 degree days..18/50 seems good. Aside from hub extensions,tires and Max6 all stock. It's been a great truck for me, heck I'm still rocking original non HD arms!! Enjoy brother 👍😎🍻

@KnowAir ... Does the stock servo take 7.4v from the Max6.??

Was going to upgrade the servo but my LHS said the best bang for buck upgrade to the steering is not fit a high powered 1/10 servo but just put the upgraded metal gears (TRX2087X) into the stock servo 🙄

I am going to get the roof skid TRX7817 and the heavy-duty servo saver spring TRX7746X

I don't plan on upgrading the rig with giant motors etc only a Max6, suspension pin conversion to bolts, steel spur 50T and a choice of pinions 18-20T.

Any other bits I should look at ???

@KnowAir ... Does the stock servo take 7.4v from the Max6.??

Was going to upgrade the servo but my LHS said the best bang for buck upgrade to the steering is not fit a high powered 1/10 servo but just put the upgraded metal gears (TRX2087X) into the stock servo 🙄

I am going to get the roof skid TRX7817 and the heavy-duty servo saver spring TRX7746X

I don't plan on upgrading the rig with giant motors etc only a Max6, suspension pin conversion to bolts, steel spur 50T and a choice of pinions 18-20T.

Any other bits I should look at ???
I've been giving my stock electronics 7.4v for at least 6 months now..receiver too. No problems yet. I figured if they can't take 7.4v, no loss. IDK about "upgrading" stock with metal gears. I suppose if you're satisfied with it's performance then sure, most are not satisfied however, I mean the thing only puts up 26kg on 6.0v.. kinda pathetic yet I'm still rocking it soo..🤷‍♂️🤣🤣🍻

I don’t think it’s designed to handle 7.4 since the traxxas esc only outputs 6.0 and the traxxas receiver is also only rated at 6.0. But who knows maybe it’ll take the extra 1.4.

Make sure when you do eventually demolish the stock gears that you get all the old small pieces of teeth out.

I don’t think it’s designed to handle 7.4 since the traxxas esc only outputs 6.0 and the traxxas receiver is also only rated at 6.0. But who knows maybe it’ll take the extra 1.4.

Make sure when you do eventually demolish the stock gears that you get all the old small pieces of teeth out.
Nothing to loose with stock TRX electronics IMO. They'll either take it or not..if not, no loss.

First off congrats !!! Second , my Xmaxx is one I will never sell if that’s saying anything! Mine is 7 years old now , although I don’t use it like most would , it still has its original tires and motor !! ESC took a 💩, but still worked , just had a stumbling problem . Last year finally went through entire truck , shocks / bearings / servo / Max6 ESC / Futaba radio / diffs . Btw , still original diffs too . Even my original Traxxas batteries are still in working order. When stock , dam thing would run nearly 45 minutes!!!
Lol , I still haven’t tried it yet since the rebuild !!!
The original radio had a glitch to it also I noticed, hence the Futaba install .

IMG_3095.jpeg

First off congrats !!! Second , my Xmaxx is one I will never sell if that’s saying anything! Mine is 7 years old now , although I don’t use it like most would , it still has its original tires and motor !! ESC took a 💩, but still worked , just had a stumbling problem . Last year finally went through entire truck , shocks / bearings / servo / Max6 ESC / Futaba radio / diffs . Btw , still original diffs too . Even my original Traxxas batteries are still in working order. When stock , dam thing would run nearly 45 minutes!!!
The original radio had a glitch to it also I noticed, hence the Futaba install .

View attachment 319294
@3x9rtse .. Oh man that green is soooooo nice 🥹 (y)

That was my “show “ body , Candy Green , but then started using it ! Lol
Can’t wait to hear your first drive experience ! And / or video !

+1
Adapters= fail.
It just increases Resistance, when being lazy about changing connectors out. A liability.
Trx connectors suck anyway. Well known.
And Especially with higher voltage setups.
Its not a thing..... adapters only used for charging purposes at the charger.

@3x9rtse .. Oh man that green is soooooo nice 🥹 (y)
I agree, that's a sweet color er I mean colour😉🍻

View attachment 319294
I swear TRX changed up the foams or something in the tires.. too many have had success with them in the past. Mine and my brothers both went "flat" in short order. Shame cuz the treads are like new. Weird. If 50'ish mph will do, stock motor and even esc are on point. I only swapped to a Max6 to see how it felt.. good enough to leave it in. The BEC boost is nice too. The vxl8s ended up in my Kraton XL feeding a 4092. It does fine in that on 6s.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back