Motor/ESC Combo For Traxxas Maxx

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dizzle

Reaction score
Hobbywing Max8 ESC and 2200kV Motor combo NIB (Gen 1 sensorless) Is this Gen1 trash?

Is the Castle Cobra 8 2200KV combo a good option? Can’t find a mount for it though.

Last edited:
Hobbywing Max8 ESC and 2200kV Motor combo NIB (Gen 1 sensorless) Is this Gen1 trash?

Is the Castle Cobra 8 2200KV combo a good option? Can’t find a mount for it though.
Legit question. I've never had a Max 8 of any generation, but I wouldn't call it trash at all. The newer gen quickrun 150a 2000kv combo has been said to be comparable to it, and I've seen nothing but praise for that. At $125, maybe cheaper than a gen 1 Max 8, not sure. I think it (gen 1 Max 8) sounds just fine for a Maxx truck. WAY better than what they come with. Castle is considered top tier, but for bashing the HW is usually preferred.

Edit: Oh, and personally I wouldn't get Castle's new Cobra. Not for a Maxx. They have some bugs in the software. Poor performance when running sensorless. They're working on it, but the price for that ESC isn't worth it in that truck. Not at all imo. Their Mamba Monster X and MM2 with slightly smaller footprint could easily handle a Maxx, but even that is relatively pricey. The Cobra is beyond ridiculous money imho.

Last edited:
G1 HW trash? I don't think so.. actually given some of the headaches I've heard about some of the G2 stuff, I might rather have G1 myself. As to the suitability of the Max8 for the Maxx, oh, definitely. My bro is running a G2 Max8/2500kv in his Maxx. Loves it, hasn't gone past 4s in it yet, no need, bonkers on 4s. His is actually the short can 4268, which is considered a buggy motor.. his G2 system has been great so far too.

I run a Max8 V3 (gen 1) in my Maxx V1 with a Traxxas 2200kv motor (from an UDR) and 23T pinion. I found the Max8 with Traxxas connectors installed at the factory. It's a great combo: I run it both on 4s and 6s, but mostly on 4s.

Sounds like the Max8 and 2200KV might be the best option.

Would I be able to use the current pin system (gear mesh) with this combo?

Would you recommend motor fans or anything if I’m just running it on 4S?

Arrma V5 KRATON EXB Spektrum Firma 150A Smart ESC 2050kv Brushless Motor​

Or

Spektrum Firma 120Amp Brushless Smart ESC 2400Kv Motor Arrma 4s Outcast Kraton​

Which one for the Maxx v2? What gearing? Just looking for backflips and good air control on 4S…

Arrma V5 KRATON EXB Spektrum Firma 150A Smart ESC 2050kv Brushless Motor​

Or

Spektrum Firma 120Amp Brushless Smart ESC 2400Kv Motor Arrma 4s Outcast Kraton​

Which one for the Maxx v2? What gearing? Just looking for backflips and good air control on 4S…
IMO, I'd go with the 6s combo. Even if you have no intentions of running 6s, worth it to have the overhead capacity for long term use. Where the 4s combo may be enough, and a tad lighter, it will be pushed to it's limits pretty routinely I think. The v2 Maxx is relatively heavy for a 4s system I think.

IMO, I'd go with the 6s combo. Even if you have no intentions of running 6s, worth it to have the overhead capacity for long term use. Where the 4s combo may be enough, and a tad lighter, it will be pushed to it's limits pretty routinely I think. The v2 Maxx is relatively heavy for a 4s system I think.

I would have to gear it pretty high though? Especially just running it on 4S because the stock Traxxas motor is 2400KV. Is the stock Traxxas motor better then the Spektrum?

Back