Batteries for a Raider and Senton

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt74

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Raider
So I installed a Hobbywing EZRUN 3652 G2 3300KV Motor MAX10 60A Combo in my Raider Mega today...
I am also saving up for a new Senton 6S V3 because it looks like more fun than a clown on fire.. I can’t stop drooling over footage of the truck I’ve found on YouTube etc..

The thing absolutely hammers and I want one..... and I have a couple of questions regarding batteries for the Raider and a new Senton 6S...

For my raider I have two 7 cell 4200 8.4v nimh’s and the original 6 cell 2000 7.2v nimh that came with the vehicle. The new hobbywing esc is set to factory settings and I put a 12V fan on it because that’s what the manual recommends if using 7 cell nimh’s.
Anyway, first question, the raider runs great on the 6 cell 7.2v nimh but if I put one of the 7 cell 8.4v batteries in it it runs for about 10 seconds and then cuts the motor.. does anyone know what I could be overlooking here?.. does it sound like the esc LVC function is being triggered by the 7 cell nimh?.. all 3 batteries are fully charged.. thoughts and any possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

Second question surrounds Lipo’s... so I obviously intend to get some Lipo’s when I get the new Senton.. as I am pretty new to RC I am thinking of starting with a 4S in the Senton instead of going straight to 6S... I would also like to get a 2S for the Raider.. my question is, and sorry if it’s a really dumb one, if I get one 4S 5200mah 90C LiPo and one 2S 5200mah 90C battery can I use both in the Senton to add up to 6S?.. or can you only combine 2 x 3S’s to make 6S?...

Anyway, first question, the raider runs great on the 6 cell 7.2v nimh but if I put one of the 7 cell 8.4v batteries in it it runs for about 10 seconds and then cuts the motor.. does anyone know what I could be overlooking here?.. does it sound like the esc LVC function is being triggered by the 7 cell nimh?.. all 3 batteries are fully charged.. thoughts and any possible solutions would be greatly appreciated.

The esc will only run with 6 or 9 cell Nimh. It thinks the 7 is a lv 9 cell. Here's a pic of the specs. Note - the right side is the max 10.

@2fast4u is right.

Brain fart, too much whiskey last night... Option 3, turn off and you'll be good to go.

Cheers to both of you for your responses...

Can I ask both of you if you have a possible answer to my second question in my original post about Lipo’s?..

J

Yup, and obviously make sure you turn it back on when you switch to Lipos.
Running NiMh you need to disable the cut off voltage feature in the ESC programing.

Can I ask both of you if you have a possible answer to my second question in my original post about Lipo’s?..
Unfortunately I don't have any 6s stuff, so I don't want to chime in and end up being wrong.

To answer your second question. Yes you can do that. The mAh and the c ratings are the same. I should add this though, It is not ideal to use two batteries in series that have mismatched charge/discharge cycles or that have been used in varying discharge scenarios. With use and cycling the capacity (mAh) degrades. So when using them in different applications, the possibility of a mis match raises.

Last edited:
To answer your second question. Yes you can do that. The mAh and the c ratings are the same. I should add this though, It is not ideal to use two batteries in series that have mismatched charge/discharge cycles or that have been used in varying discharge scenarios. With use and cycling the capacity (mAh) degrades. So when using them in different applications, the possibility of a mis match raises.
Yeah, i figured that this may be the case.. but i guess the same goes for using 2 3s batteries... both batteries, whilst being exactly the same battery, will have had different “lives” so to speak.. so one may not be as strong as the other..

I think i might get a 2s for the raider and a 4s for the senton and then, if i want to go 6s with the senton in the future, just buy a 6s..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back