Battery Plug Options - Looking for Opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The concern is not voltage, but amperage. The correlation here is that 8s and 4s systems are generally used for higher power systems. For an example, this would be the difference between an Arrma Senton running on 4s on street tires with stock gearing, and a MT410, Kaiju, or Maxx running on the same 4s with meaty/knobby MT tires and running in sand.

For an xmaxx on 8s, you could certainly gear it high enough or swap to a power hungry enough motor to overdue the connectors. Or if you're a "balls to the wall" kind of driver and don't let off the throttle until the ESC hits LVC, then you might have an issue. Its hard to tell without knowing all the variables and how the truck is driven etc.

The worst case scenario I see here would be pulling too many amps through a connector, it heats up too much due to connector contact resistance, and the solder joints desolder themselves. You could use your imagination from there. However, I'm more of a pragmatist than a worst case scenario guy, so I wouldn't necessarily subscribe to "total destruction" ;)

Couldn't hurt to try, monitor connector temps, and see how it runs.
yup..... those are the technical aspects..... if we were afraid of everything that could possibly happen in a day, we'd hide in the closet sucking our thumb and whimpering ..... I prefer not to be that way..... just feel bad for the guy to put that much $$$$$$$$$$$$ in proprietary stuff..... but hopefully he can use it, not have any real problems, and enjoy it. Plus keep the Mrs happy....

I used my Traxxas batteries in my X-Maxx with a max6 with QS8 to Traxxas adapters for right around 18 months. Never had an issue, started to get too many batteries and I just recently gave the Traxxas set away to a buddy.

I like the Traxxas batteries and the charger set up where you can watch progress from my phone. But this is Arrmaforum so YEAh Trixxuss suuuuuuxxxxxx!!!

Us Newfs do come across as simple minded fisher folk yet we are smart enough to steer clear of Traxxas related crap lol.
But... We are also competent and capable enough that if it's all that on hand, McGyvering that crap to actually be useful shouldn't be too hard .
I think it would be pretty difficult, if not impossible. I *think* the TRX batteries have a chip in them that effectively distributes balanced power near the end of the charge cycle. I’ve never dissected a Traxxas battery before, but maybe I will… If I do, I’ll post pix.
Plus, I’ve followed some of your builds and work. I’d say you MacGyver stuff pretty damn well! Especially for being one of those “simple minded fisher folk!”

I think @Dan B. Is right, the balance "board or circuitry" is incorporated into the TRX battery itself, well TRX "id" batteries anyways. If I'm not mistaken, all TRX's newer "id" lipo chargers have a balance port on the charger itself. They're hidden behind a removable cover on the outside of the charger itself.. so a TRX id charger can be used to charge other batteries by using the appropriate adapter and balance port.
As to using "other" batteries and connectors via adapters..oh yeah, it can surely be done. Perhaps not the best case scenario but definitely can be done. I call my brother "Adapter Max", LOL. Guy has more adapters than Radio Shack!! They do create a challenge with cable management though for sure. 2x3s plus adapters equals one big mess!!🤪😬🤣🤣

Last edited:
My two cents is go Traxxas. There ez to solder and when the Trax batteries die there ez to unsolder. Put the plug tab in a vice, press the soldering iron down on the wire, and pull. If it takes you longer than a minute to remove the Trax plugs when you're done with them I'll be surprised.

I run XT150 connectors on all my go fast RC, and on dual battery like X-Maxx it eliminates an extra plug, because the batteries plug directly to each other and then the other two ends to the ESC. You won't need the Y harness bit that adds resistance and more plugs in the setup, plus 150 amps is good for almost any RC. :)

You've got a great wife, she meant well but didn't know/understand about the electronics. Sell all the Traxxas charger and lipos for what you can get.

Edit: IME Hobbywing Max6 is way better than any Traxxas ESC, that's for sure! It will have better acceleration and throttle control in general and they burn up much less often lol.

Last edited:
Back