Battery Plug Options - Looking for Opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiamiRC

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Typhon 3s
  3. Vorteks
So, I'm looking for opinions on what to do here. Wife bought me an Xmaxx earlier this year to complement my Arrma rigs and it is a lot of fun but kinda slow compared to the Arrmas. So the standard path I'm looking to follow initially is get a Max6 to replace the Traxxas ESC which seems to wake it up quite a bit, but here is my challenge. Wife bought the Traxxas completer pack with the two 6700s and a couple more Traxxas batteries. Obviously she isn't an RC fanatic and wanted to be helpful. So thing is now I've got maybe $600 or so invested in batteries and Traxxas charger. Everything else I have is EC5. So options I see are:

1. Put an EC5 on the Max6 and run adapters. Migrate over time to EC5 batteries as replacements/upgrades. I don't like adapters although I've never actually had one fail but I'm not too keen on this approach. Maybe I'm just being an RC snob though.
2. Sell all the Traxxas battery stuff and buy new EC5 batteries, but I don't think used batteries resell for much so I'd probably take a bath on this. More importantly, I'd feel bad.
3. Just solder a TRX plug on the Max6. This really wouldn't impact battery interchangeability for me between cars because everything else is either 3S or 6S so I never use 4S batteries in my Arrma stuff. So I'm kinda leaning in this direction, but long term it's not ideal because I'd prefer to have everything as one plug type.

What would you do?

Is there any reason why the connector on the charger itself can't be changed? Knowing Traxxas there likely is but it's worth finding out if you can do that and use the charger as an extra for all your batteries. To me, that would be the most idea and simplest solution. But let others chime in on that first.
Edit: and of course this means changing connectors on the batteries too.

Good question but unfortunately no. Unlike other chargers where the plug is on a lead, with the Trx charger the plug is baked into the charger itself. So it's Trx plugs only in the charger.

TRX plugs would be the worst route IMO. EC5s or XT90s are preferred. I would consider putting those on the batteries and selling the charger. Brand new the charger will still sell pretty fast for about 75% of original cost on ebay, I got about 50% of the original price back on a year old Traxxas charger on ebay and might have gotten a little more if I had put the "Buy it Now" price higher. The batteries are fine with a connector swap and grab a new charger from Amazon, lots of good options, I run this one:

HTRC C240 Dual LiPo Battery Charger

Last edited:
Dilemma

I am not sure but I am next to positive that soldering EC5 plugs on Traxxas batteries causes problems. Maybe I am wrong. If others have done it successfully, please chime in. I have used adapters on two cell batteries and a crawler that uses a three cell. however, more current can lead to problems you don’t want. The topic of adapters came up in my radio control life a couple of years ago and as a result, I try to stay away from them.

least expensive? Use adapters for your Traxxas batteries

safest? Solder EC5 on the Traxxas battery if it works (I have no experience with XT 90….. same concept

No matter what you do, make sure the wife knows she is appreciated for her efforts

good question but unfortunately no. Unlike other chargers where the plug is on a lead, with the Trx charger the plug is baked into the charger itself. So it's Trx plugs only in the charger.

Ugh…… gotta love Traxxas… I do onwn one, it’s the TRX 4 crawler….. I just use an adapter because of the low current, 3S, no problems with that…… I did not buy a Traxxas charger

Last edited:
Dilemma

I am not sure but I am next to positive that soldering EC5 plugs on Traxxas batteries causes problems. Maybe I am wrong. If others have done it successfully, please chime in. I have used adapters on two cell batteries and a crawler that uses a three cell. however, more current can lead to problems you don’t want. The topic of adapters came up in my radio control life a couple of years ago and as a result, I try to stay away from them.
You are right, the balance leads are built in to the TRX connector, been a couple of years since I had one and totally forgot that issue.

If the stuff is new, any chance you could return it? Even if they charge a "restocking fee" it would be the easiest way to get the most money back and move on to a better charger/batteries.

TRX plugs would be the worst route IMO. EC5s or XT90s are preferred. I would consider putting those on the batteries and selling the charger. Brand new the charger will still sell pretty fast for about 75% of original cost on ebay, I got about 50% of the original price back on a year old Traxxas charger on ebay and might have gotten a little more if I had put the "Buy it Now" price higher. The batteries are fine with a connector swap and grab a new charger from Amazon, lots of good options, I run this one:

HTRC C240 Dual LiPo Battery Charger
Thanks for your response. I have two other chargers including the exact one you posted! Agree it's good. The Traxxas one just gets used for the Traxxas batteries. I'm interested though you said you didn't like the Trx plug and wanted to know why specifically you don't like them. I get not liking the Traxxas batteries which are overpriced and not real powerful but just the plug itself. To me it works near as makes no difference as well as my EC5 plugs it's just annoying to be different, but have you had failure issues with the plugs or what is it about the plugs themselves you don't like? Thanks
Keep the wife and buy her a pair of expensive shoes. Sell all related RC stuff and leave the hobby forever. Your welcome.
Sounds like someone's got a case of the Mondays!

I know adapters are "taboo" around here, but what do you have to lose from trying them out? That's a low risk option that doesn't cost you much money. At least you'd know whether they worked or no. Either buy a quality pair from a reputable company or make them yourself. Yes, more connection points increases resistance. But overall I see people have more issues with high currents through crappy solder jobs than the actual connector themselves. If you bought or made quality connectors, i'd personally run them until I had issues.

Just my 2 cents.

I’d go option one.
Ditto, I have run adapters with single 3s and 4s packs on Traxxas and Spektrum receivers without issue. I have not used them on an 8s rig with dual 4s batteries, but I would imagine it should be fine for regular bashing.

Yup, agree with above. Solder an EC5 on the Max 6 and just use an adapter when running the Traxxas batteries. I know there are haters, but the TRX batteries are very, very good.
But there is no way to mix and match chargers as the TRX batteries don’t have external balance leads. If you soldered an EC5 on a Traxxas battery there would be no way to balance charge it and best case scenario, you’d slowly ruin the batteries. Worst case, individual cells could overcharge and ignite.
It’s a basher, dude. Use a battery adapter and go have fun.

Yup, agree with above. Solder an EC5 on the Max 6 and just use an adapter when running the Traxxas batteries. I know there are haters, but the TRX batteries are very, very good.
But there is no way to mix and match chargers as the TRX batteries don’t have external balance leads. If you soldered an EC5 on a Traxxas battery there would be no way to balance charge it and best case scenario, you’d slowly ruin the batteries. Worst case, individual cells could overcharge and ignite.
It’s a basher, dude. Use a battery adapter and go have fun.
Out of curiosity, has anyone disassembled a lead wire? I assume Traxxas still follows the basics of a balance board, meaning the separate wires should be within it and can be soldered to a proper balance board.
Overly complicated, yes. Just want to file the answer away for future reference.

Thanks for your response. I have two other chargers including the exact one you posted! Agree it's good. The Traxxas one just gets used for the Traxxas batteries. I'm interested though you said you didn't like the Trx plug and wanted to know why specifically you don't like them. I get not liking the Traxxas batteries which are overpriced and not real powerful but just the plug itself. To me it works near as makes no difference as well as my EC5 plugs it's just annoying to be different, but have you had failure issues with the plugs or what is it about the plugs themselves you don't like? Thanks
I never ran them above 3s so didnt have any current issues. I just found them to be very finnicky to solder compared to EC5 connectors.

I agree with others I would either keep the Traxxas batteries and charger, but solder EC5’s to the Max6 and use adapters. Or just sell the Traxxas charger and batteries. You hound get decent return for them I find Traxxas stuff on eBay sells well and for higher dollar amounts then other rc stuff and I’ve sold quite a bit of gear on there over the years.

I have a similar situation except they are 3S Traxxas batteries and the ez peak live dual just for a Erevo 2.0 and Rustler 4x4. I’ll use those batteries I ntil it goes then I’ll sell the charger one day 😂

Out of curiosity, has anyone disassembled a lead wire? I assume Traxxas still follows the basics of a balance board, meaning the separate wires should be within it and can be soldered to a proper balance board.
Overly complicated, yes. Just want to file the answer away for future reference.
Nope. Never. So since you brought it up it’s all on you, man. Dissect a TRX battery connector and let me know if you find the appropriate number of super small gauge balance leads connected to that super small wire that goes to the connector. Then let us know how it went sorting them out and soldering them into a standard balance lead. Subbed. 😊

Nope. Never. So since you brought it up it’s all on you, man. Dissect a TRX battery connector and let me know if you find the appropriate number of super small gauge balance leads connected to that super small wire that goes to the connector. Then let us know how it went sorting them out and soldering them into a standard balance lead. Subbed. 😊
Us Newfs do come across as simple minded fisher folk yet we are smart enough to steer clear of Traxxas related crap lol.
But... We are also competent and capable enough that if it's all that on hand, McGyvering that crap to actually be useful shouldn't be too hard .

I know adapters are "taboo" around here, but what do you have to lose from trying them out? That's a low risk option that doesn't cost you much money. At least you'd know whether they worked or no. Either buy a quality pair from a reputable company or make them yourself. Yes, more connection points increases resistance. But overall I see people have more issues with high currents through crappy solder jobs than the actual connector themselves. If you bought or made quality connectors, i'd personally run them until I had issues.

Just my 2 cents.
I agree.... My long term memory is not very sharp, so the conversation I had about adapters a couple years back isn't crystal clear. I just remember a few pics of fires, melted wires, etc, that some attributed to adapters. Of course, it could have been caused by a list of things, but the consensus was that it gets iffy when doing 4s (8s) applications using adapters. I thought maybe some of those people would jump in this conversation. Maybe they will.... maybe not.

Have I done it? with 3S yes. Am I worried? no

A part of me just says get a beefy adapter and do it..... but when getting new batteries.....

I agree.... My long term memory is not very sharp, so the conversation I had about adapters a couple years back isn't crystal clear. I just remember a few pics of fires, melted wires, etc, that some attributed to adapters. Of course, it could have been caused by a list of things, but the consensus was that it gets iffy when doing 4s (8s) applications using adapters. I thought maybe some of those people would jump in this conversation. Maybe they will.... maybe not.

Have I done it? with 3S yes. Am I worried? no

A part of me just says get a beefy adapter and do it..... but when getting new batteries.....
The concern is not voltage, but amperage. The correlation here is that 8s and 4s systems are generally used for higher power systems. For an example, this would be the difference between an Arrma Senton running on 4s on street tires with stock gearing, and a MT410, Kaiju, or Maxx running on the same 4s with meaty/knobby MT tires and running in sand.

For an xmaxx on 8s, you could certainly gear it high enough or swap to a power hungry enough motor to overdue the connectors. Or if you're a "balls to the wall" kind of driver and don't let off the throttle until the ESC hits LVC, then you might have an issue. Its hard to tell without knowing all the variables and how the truck is driven etc.

The worst case scenario I see here would be pulling too many amps through a connector, it heats up too much due to connector contact resistance, and the solder joints desolder themselves. You could use your imagination from there. However, I'm more of a pragmatist than a worst case scenario guy, so I wouldn't necessarily subscribe to "total destruction" ;)

Couldn't hurt to try, monitor connector temps, and see how it runs.

Back