Looking for inexpensive smaller rc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Talion
I'm looking for a recommendation for an RV for my 7 year old. He like driving my talion, but wants something smaller and easier to deal with. I'm thinking less than 1:10 scale. He does want 4x4, and I'm thinking 20mph is as fast as he will ever want it to go. That might even be too fast. He would be happy with 15mph.

He wants something that he can also drive around the kitchen but to me that means good variable speed control with ability to make it controllably go as slow as 3 or 4 mph.

I'm hoping to spend less than $100 all in with remote and battery. Obviously Im not going to get arrma quality, but that's fine for now. I just want something better than what $50 at target can get me. I tried that and it lasted just a couple weeks.

Any recommendations?

A little more then the 100 but sounds like the new Arrma Grom is right up your ally.

Screenshot_20240107_192900_Samsung Internet.jpg

I'm looking for a recommendation for an RV for my 7 year old. He like driving my talion, but wants something smaller and easier to deal with. I'm thinking less than 1:10 scale. He does want 4x4, and I'm thinking 20mph is as fast as he will ever want it to go. That might even be too fast. He would be happy with 15mph.

He wants something that he can also drive around the kitchen but to me that means good variable speed control with ability to make it controllably go as slow as 3 or 4 mph.

I'm hoping to spend less than $100 all in with remote and battery. Obviously Im not going to get arrma quality, but that's fine for now. I just want something better than what $50 at target can get me. I tried that and it lasted just a couple weeks.

Any recommendations?
Another vote for grom, the parts availability will mean less down time and it checks all your boxes except the price one.

Another vote for grom, the parts availability will mean less down time and it checks all your boxes except the price one.

Plus there are tons of things you can do to them already. Even Treal is putting out some awesome parts.
If it gets to being too slow there's always brushless upgrades as well. Great to grow into.
Much better parts support/ warranty then the Chinese brands that can be had for less. Paying a little more for the insurance of parts availability is OK by me.

Valid points brought up above. The Grom is about as hobby grade cheap as it gets. You can spend $50-100 at a big box store and have to trash it when a part breaks. With the Grom, not only can you get parts, he can upgrade it to faster if he still has it when he's 10-11. It's also a simple design for him to learn maintenance of an rc.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back