Notorious Battery Storage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gotta disagree. Store in a LiPo bag at the least. They’re cheap insurance. And yes, they are theoretically stable at 3.8v per cell, but things happen. Stay safe. You never know, man…

Gotta disagree. Store in a LiPo bag at the least. They’re cheap insurance. And yes, they are theoretically stable at 3.8v per cell, but things happen. Stay safe. You never know, man…
You don’t wear a mask and helmet driving alone in your car do ya Dan 😉

Just kidding, we’re just brainstorming here so use all information available and make a conscious decision.

I keep mine in a nice dry cedar closet but only if they’re puffed and overcharged since I don’t pay monthly insurance for my health!

IMG_1845.jpeg

Odds are nothing will happen to a battery at 3.8v sitting around, they sit in hobby shops in cardboard boxes all day every day waiting to be sold without incident. Doesn't matter to me, lol. I keep mine in lipo bags inside ammo boxes. Never know when unseen damage may have happened while bashing. I want insurance for that tiny chance that I will be unlucky one day. :ROFLMAO:

Voltage wise, 3.75 to 3.85v per cell is okay.

How you want to store them is up to you. If you feel at risk, there are precautionary measures you can take to mitigate some of that risk. A lipo bag is a simple, cheap way, but you get what you pay for as they don't offer a ton of protection. Ammo cans are another way people have chosen, take out all or part of the seal so it doesn't become an explosive. Batt safes are expensive but there are plenty videos out there showing that they are very capable.

I use lipo bags lining my ammo can. Realistically, if one goes off, the ammo can is not stopping the whole kit and kaboodle from going up as well. But I'm not planning for an ultimate worst case scenario, just one of the lipos flaring up, and hopefully it can redirect the flames.

Storage charge and put them somewhere safe that is not combustible. I have lipo bags, but I still put them in a semi-safe corner of our brick basement regardless of storage state.

If you want to go hard you can in a variety of ways, but the storage may cost more than your batteries....

This was a not so fun watch today......

How many days between battery usage should I consider 3.8v storage mode. I usually bash within a week (max 8 days) and keep them fully charged. Is this too long a period?

How many days between battery usage should I consider 3.8v storage mode. I usually bash within a week (max 8 days) and keep them fully charged. Is this too long a period?
If you charge a battery you should run and/or discharge it the same day if possible. i.e. Don't charge a battery if you aren't going to run it in 24 hours....

The safest way to store a battery is to not store a questionable battery to begin with. It's a snotty answer, but it is true.

Store charge the battery, store it someplace that doesn't get hot and in something not flammable. Re-store charge your batteries every 6 months. These are the directions that came with my batteries.

Back