Battery Wrap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Guys run their cars in the cold all the time. Check out ThomasP videos, snow in many of them and I can tell you right now he is only running 6s lipos and running them hard...

Take a look on my youtube: CANTSiR

I tried the lowest, the middle, and the highest power(punch) setting. The vehicle performs like it has 16.8v. That is the only way to describe it. It is very fast. The batteries lasted about 15-20 mins or so before losing some of the power then they would die 5 mins later.

I'm in contact with Venom asking about the internal impedance rating of the batteries waiting for a response atm. They offered me a 30$ coupon towards LiPos lmao...They straightforward said the batteries aren't intended for a Kraton. I am still convinced otherwise.

I think either:
a. The batteries short circuited a small amount due to moisture and exposed wiring
b. The wires are too low of quality connecting the batteries
c. I pushed them too hard when they were very low power

I am leaning towards the wire issue. I saw an amazon review saying the experienced the low quality wrapping and heating issue, and said it was due to the wiring.

I am too lazy to rewire them atm. I will run them until they die. I am not too concerned with damaging anything. I have a 6s 100c 5000mah sitting around waiting to be thrown in. I might rewire later but for now I decided to just wrap in electrical tape. Probably will cause additional heating but meh least the batteries will remain in formation and keep moisture out better. I'll post my 5th run at my sand plant soon.

I may decide to lower my punch setting to lower the draw. I will start taking mid run temperatures and low power temperatures to further analyze what's going on.

after looking at my sand plant video i see my battery only lasted 8 mins of full throttle. Was 30 degrees (feels like 17) weather channel reported.

I’ve run my Kraton on 4S and it seems a lot faster than that ? Edit: I was running the 15t pinion.

is that the standard or the speed? i haven't paid much attention to the pinion tooth counts.

Venom NiMH 8.4V 5000mah:
The internal impedance at 1000Hz is 5 mΩ(Max). Max discharge is 30A.

Venom NiMH 8.4V 5000mah:
That is what Venom came back with for the specs? If so, you are pulling too many amps from the batteries and that's why they are getting really hot. That would have been bad if it was a lipo with those specs lol.

Wow the Kraton is supposed to be run 35c 5000mah = 175 max amp draw

I am running it on Max 30 amp draw...No wonder the batteries get hot...

Man my hobby shop guy gave me quite a bit of misinformation...I don't think it was intentional. I guess he just didn't know much about internal impedance.

called the hobby shop dude. he says venom probably doesn't know what they are talking about. he told me to look over my rc for damage and tight pinions....wouldn't u know it...i have a broken part lol...I flipped my rc pretty rough at the sand plant. I broke off my front left linkage. Ill post a quick video soon.

he also said he has tested these venom batteries and pulled 130 amps from them

I would never use venom nimhs. back a few yrs ago i ran promatch racing nimhs with matched cells.

Attachments

• IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 47
Venom NiMH 8.4V 5000mah:
Yeah you are just going to kill those batteries if you keep running them in the Kraton. That missing bolt isn't going to make the batteries run hot. As I said before, batteries get hot when they are under powered for the application, ie they cannot provide enough amperage to power the vehicle. There is no way to magically fix this, even if the hobby shop guy got 130a out of them these escs can still pull 400+ amps in bursts and that 130a doesn't even touch the nominal load of the esc which is 150a.

TLDR - Stop running those batteries in your Kraton.

/end thread.

And if you do want to re wrap them use this. https://www.ebay.com/itm/BULK-20-ft...HRINK-TUBING-for-NICAD-NiMH-LIPO/223233580399

Last edited:
Venom says yes 30A max discharge was an accurate figure. That's pretty nuts. I don't really peg my hobby shop guy as a liar. I know that batteries can pull amps at dangerous levels but to see a 30A battery pull 130A? That doesn't really seem legit.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back