Senton Be careful when tightening your wheel nuts!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cbl522

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
  2. 4x4-Mega
I had my rear axle snap on the threads after landing a jump. The truck only got a couple feet in the air. The axle snapped right behind the wheel nut on the threads. I was told I may have over tightened the wheel nut. I manage to T.I.G weld the threads back on and file it down to fit the bearings. This fix worked great. I have new parts on the way.
I concluded that the axle metal is not very strong. If you over tighten the wheel nut it will cause a stress fracture or weak spot in the axle on the threads. Hopefully somebody who is new to rc (like me) will see this and avoid the same mistake I made. This truck is a blast to drive.

I snapped an axle on 3S just running around my sketchy yard. I hit a small divot & the wheel went flying. You have to love sintered garbage. But heat treating that garbage works wonders. 1800 degrees, quench in oil, 1200 degrees, quench in oil, done. Use conventional 10W-30. Then you can wrench on the nut to your heart's content :D

i'll definitely do that Megasty, I picked up a castle brushless system tonight. I have a acetelyne torch?? I'll Google it before I try it . Thanks for the tip! What other parts can benefit from heat treating other than the axles?

i'll definitely do that Megasty, I picked up a castle brushless system tonight. I have a acetelyne torch?? I'll Google it before I try it . Thanks for the tip! What other parts can benefit from heat treating other than the axles?

Acetylene will heat the parts up too fast. I simple propane torch will work. The only problem is temperature. I have a infrared temp gun that's good up to 2200~ but they don't come cheap. Most can only do 1000~. It's vital to keep the part right at those temps to ensure maximum effectiveness w/o destroying the part. The outdrives also benefit greatly but the gears in the diff are fine.

Same issue here with my Granite. I am struggling to remove the axle from driveshaft as well, how did you guys manage it?

There is a screw inside axel to hold it all together but it doesn't show up in exploded veiw

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back