Bick's Kraton 8s build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got a chance to give the new Castle ESC and motor a little test. I am really impressed so far. For anyone that doesn't know, these are the combos I've tested so far:

Stock motor, Max5 ESC, 23t pinion

Dynamite Fuze 56114 800kv motor, Max5 ESC, 44t pinion.

Hobbywing 5687 1100kv motor, Max5 ESC, 31t pinion.

After a short 15 minute run I'd say this combo has the most raw power. I could feel the difference in the air as it rotates the best out of all the setups. I definitely like it better than the Hobbywing setup. I didn't run it long enough to get a good read on the temps but the motor wasn't that hot at all. I can pull the logs to check the ESC temps later.

By far the best thing about this combo is the sensored operation. You can go crawler speed with it and while I'd be never crawl with a K8S, it made turning around in tight spaces and overall maneuverability fantastic. There wasn't the slightest bit of cogging whether I was going slow or whether I hammered it from a dead stop.

More to come...
Seems like a winner of a combo so far. One of my friends just picked up 2 of those combos, one he has in his Losi DBXLE and the other for his K8S that he hasn't even run yet.

I just checked the ESC logs. The ESC hit a max temp of 169 degrees. Again, this was after maybe 12-15 minutes of me jumping the truck in my yard. Outside temps were around 80 degrees with high humidity. I'm not sure what the temp will hit with prolonged running on grass or the type of bashing I was doing in NC. More testing needed.

Edit: Forgot to add that the motor reached a max of 136 degrees with the average being 101. That's nice ?

$Sensored$ motors make a difference, especially with taller gearing. Torque is controllable at low rpm. Little if any Cogging effect. Hybrid sensor mode is best. Goes full unsensored at a predetermined TH point and runs more efficiently. Full Sensored mode is used mostly in Racing on confined tracks.

Last edited:
I just checked the ESC logs. The ESC hit a max temp of 169 degrees. Again, this was after maybe 12-15 minutes of me jumping the truck in my yard. Outside temps were around 80 degrees with high humidity. I'm not sure what the temp will hit with prolonged running on grass or the type of bashing I was doing in NC. More testing needed.

Edit: Forgot to add that the motor reached a max of 136 degrees with the average being 101. That's nice ?
Hope you get a chance to put up a video on this setup at your channel. Really torn between this and the max5 combo. It would be a good bit more as I no longer have a pc, and castle doesn’t seem to support MAC. I would need to by the $50 blue tooth connector for my phone bring the price way up there. I’ve seen a few videos but would like to hear what you think of it compared to your max5 setup.

Hope you get a chance to put up a video on this setup at your channel. Really torn between this and the max5 combo. It would be a good bit more as I no longer have a pc, and castle doesn’t seem to support MAC. I would need to by the $50 blue tooth connector for my phone bring the price way up there. I’ve seen a few videos but would like to hear what you think of it compared to your max5 setup.
I'll do my best, Jim. I'm down dealing with my mom's estate this week and I left the RC's in CT. When I get back I'll get a video up.... hopefully before the 4th.

I'll do my best, Jim. I'm down dealing with my mom's estate this week and I left the RC's in CT. When I get back I'll get a video up.... hopefully before the 4th.
By all means take your time. Estate matters can be a huge hassle. I hope it goes as smooth as possible for you.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back