Big Rock Big Rock, Can I go this Big? Please help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lipp85

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Just got new Black Big Rock for daughter. She wants it custom and BIGGER! Will be upgrading wheels and tires. Please tell me if below plan/idea possible for being able to turn and not hit body, or if just a bad idea due to braking stuff constantly due to added size and mass.

Hot Racing 17mm hubs with +10mm (or convert with 3s Typhon 17mm parts and not get extra offset, thinking might be more durable)
3.8 Proline Trencher LOW PROFILE tires. Been doing research and compared sizes in person at store. Similar size to Maxx factory wheels and a bit bigger than MX28 2.8 Badlands that I know many people do run. Would run wheels with wide offset hub to help stretch width for frame clearance.
3.8 LP Trencher
Height: 5.60" (142mm)
Width: 2.96" (75mm)

MX28 Badlands 2.8
Height: 5.05" (128mm)
Width: 2.70" (69mm)

Proline Trencher 2.8
Height: 4.87" (124mm)
Width: 2.86" (73mm)​

@Lipp85
I'm not the best at answering this so only $0.02 :) I have read here the 3.8 are not good for our Big Rock and Granite and creates issues....2.8 are best like the Proline Badlands MX are great. You can even get them in 14mm hex without changing anything.
Just got new Black Big Rock for daughter. She wants it custom and BIGGER! Will be upgrading wheels and tires. Please tell me if below plan/idea possible for being able to turn and not hit body, or if just a bad idea due to braking stuff constantly due to added size and mass.

Hot Racing 17mm hubs with +10mm (or convert with 3s Typhon 17mm parts and not get extra offset, thinking might be more durable)
3.8 Proline Trencher LOW PROFILE tires. Been doing research and compared sizes in person at store. Similar size to Maxx factory wheels and a bit bigger than MX28 2.8 Badlands that I know many people do run. Would run wheels with wide offset hub to help stretch width for frame clearance.
3.8 LP Trencher
Height: 5.60" (142mm)
Width: 2.96" (75mm)

MX28 Badlands 2.8
Height: 5.05" (128mm)
Width: 2.70" (69mm)

Proline Trencher 2.8
Height: 4.87" (124mm)
Width: 2.86" (73mm)​

Good post on 3.8 from a trusted person here... Granite is in the same class as the Big Rock

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/biggest-tires-i-can-put-on-a-granite-4x4-blx.15139/post-191011

Last edited:
Badlands 2.8 with 1/2 inch backspaced wheels,widen truck 1/2 on each corner. On my v2 anything bigger would just destroy axles an rear diffs.v3 supposedly stronger diffs thou.bigger tires on 2s would probably be okay.noones nows what the v3z can take yet.

20200717_182915.jpg

Screenshot_20200719-022234_Photos.jpg

Thank you everyone for feedback, should I look at getting the belted version of the MX28? Was concerned with the extra weight and not sure if needed on 3s line but see above K-Bash has them wrapped.

Thank you everyone for feedback, should I look at getting the belted version of the MX28? Was concerned with the extra weight and not sure if needed on 3s line but see above K-Bash has them wrapped.
I’ve only owned the Belted Trenchers and didn’t care for them. My Badlands are not belted and love them. You can infer what you want from those two statements.

I strapped them cause 4 an 6s dinner plated them.i also run them on my notorious.not sure of weight diff.between belted an not belted.they grip so good they are hard on rear diffs.blown out 4 diffs extra weight would be even harder.if I was running only 3s I would go none belted,nb are already Heavy

Badlands 2.8 with 1/2 inch backspaced wheels,widen truck 1/2 on each corner. On my v2 anything bigger would just destroy axles an rear diffs.v3 supposedly stronger diffs thou.bigger tires on 2s would probably be okay.noones nows what the v3z can take yet.

View attachment 100827

View attachment 100828
I'm running 2.8 trenchers and badlands on my Granite and BR. Both upgraded to 4s. I was destroying the stock driveshafts! Changed to the Arrma CVD's and haven't had many issues. The CVD's are pricey, but worth every penny if you want to haul @ss on 4s with the Prolines

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back