Building a "Sports Crawler Trailer" chapter 2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Fireteam
  3. Granite
  4. Infraction
  5. Kraton EXB
  6. Notorious
On to the second chapter of my small scale crawler project. After finishing “building a small scale crawler hauler” (link: Building a small scale crawler hauler | ARRMA RC Forum (arrmaforum.com)) it is now time to take things a bit further. In this new episode I will design and build a gooseneck trailer to be towed around by the Eazy RC Glacier.

Eazy RC Glacier

000_Glacier.png

This trailer will have a place for the crawler on the backend and a small living space on the front part of the trailer. Below a nice picture of what I am sort of aiming for, this is a “sports crawler trailer” by Logan coach.

000_Logan Coach.jpg

Initially I planned on making a modular system so that I could adapt the flatbed trailer of my previous build to be transformed in a gooseneck trailer. I thought if I changed out the front of the trailer (triangle) I could easily change it in a gooseneck. But now that I started thinking about the layout of the gooseneck trailer I realized weight distribution will not be where I want it when sticking to the original plan.

So the gooseneck trailer will be a complete new design and build. Dimensions will be quite different. Of course the trailer will be longer, but I also decided that I want it to be a bit more narrow. I will make the design modular again to be able to change out parts of the construction if I don’t like them or if they not function as expected.

As there is more to this trailer then the simple flatbed I will probably need to paint (part of) it, dress it up with some scale sauce and perhaps weather it a bit. Also the towing vehicle will be dressed up with scale parts, at the moment I do not know for sure if I want to paint the blue body, or just only weather it. Time enough to finalize the plan on that aspect …

Upcoming week I will make a start with the basic design of the gooseneck trailer… to be continued !

Last edited:
On to the second chapter of my small scale crawler project. After finishing “building a small scale crawler hauler” (link: Building a small scale crawler hauler | ARRMA RC Forum (arrmaforum.com)) it is now time to take things a bit further. In this new episode I will design and build a gooseneck trailer to be towed around by the Eazy RC Glacier.

Eazy RC Glacier

View attachment 354945

This tailer will have a place for the crawler on the backend of the trailer and a small living space on the front part of the trailer. Below a nice picture of what I am sort of aiming for, this is a “sports crawler trailer” by Logan coach.

View attachment 354947

Initially I planned on making a modular system so that I could adapt the flatbed trailer of my previous build to be transformed in a gooseneck trailer. I thought if I changed out the front of the trailer (triangle) I could easily change it in a gooseneck. But now that I started thinking about the layout of the gooseneck trailer I realized weight distribution will not be where I want it when sticking to the original plan.

So the gooseneck trailer will be a complete new design and build. Dimensions will be quite different. Of course the trailer will be longer, but I also decided that I want it to be a bit more narrow. I will make the design modular again to be able to change out parts of the construction if I don’t like them or if they not function as expected.

As there is more to this trailer then the simple flatbed I will probably need to paint (part of) it, dress it up with some scale sauce and perhaps weather it a bit. Also the towing vehicle will be dressed up with scale parts, at the moment I do not know for sure if I want to paint the blue body, or just only weather it. Time enough to finalize the plan on that aspect …

Upcoming week I will make a start with the basic design of the gooseneck trailer… to be continued !

I'll be honest..
I've Never seen or even thought of a camper/trailer Like that!
It's ingenious!!

Can't wait to see what you come up with in your custom ideas.. 🍺🍺

I “borrowed” the dimensions of the flatbed trailer as a starting point. I will re-use the treadway design for the FCX24 to stand on. In order to narrow down the trailer the treadways are elevated above the wheels of the trailer. I started out by modifying the sideview of the flatbed trailer and incorporate some dimensions I think are right for the sports crawler hauler.

001_sideview.png

Because of the increased size there are many more modules, the total construction is a lot more complicated as the flatbed trailer. However due to this being the second time applying the same build concept I tackled the process step by step without issues until done.

I worked out the complete 2D design in a couple of hours spread over two evenings. Working out how to secure all parts together, without showing non scale hardware and keeping all screws accesable was a challenge. I think it worked out pretty good, the experience of the first build really helped. Below some pics of the modular parts with some basic dimensions and the position of all screws. Total length of the trailer will be around 646mm, around 11.6 m in 1:1 scale.

Floorplan

002_dimensions.png

Treadways

003_treadways.png

Sideview

004_crossection.png

As said all M3 hardware to connect the modules are hidden from view, visible hardware for attaching the treadways and other miscellaneous parts will be M1.4. I will give the 2D plan another thorough look over tonight and will then proceed with making the 3D models and exporting some STL files.

I will update when the first 3D models are done and printed … catch you later!

@Doom!: I will do my best to log all steps as detailed as possible and get some nice pics for you to look at (y);)

Today I worked on making the 3D models based on the 2D plans and I started printing the parts today. First I focused on the "flatbed" part of the trailer, in total there are 10 modules involved in this part. Four center parts and three left and right side parts. Below the 3D models of the four center parts.

005_centerparts.png

006_centerparts.png

007_centerparts.png

008_centerparts.png

These parts are the “backbone” of the trailer, the big square part will have the cabin placed on top. I did not incorporate any screw holes for attachment as I do not have this part designed yet at this stage. I will need to drill holes to secure the cabin or glue on some screw-tabs later. Currently thinking about using the second option.

I will also make the 3D model of the actual gooseneck part later when I work out the exact dimensions based on the height of the truck bed and I figured out a way to make the connection between the gooseneck and the ball-stud in the truck bed. All work involved for installation of the ball-stud in the truck bed also needs to be worked out. More on that later …

Luckily the six side pieces are in reality only three models. Left to right are mirrored parts. I incorporated the wheel wells of the original flatbed trailer in the design as I will use the remaining five stock FCX24 wheels I got for this trailer. This means I can also re-use the axle-bracket and stub-axles I made for the flatbed trailer.

009_sideparts.png

010_sideparts.png

011_sideparts.png

012_sideparts.png

Below some pictures of all 3D models together to get and idea of where this is going.

013_all parts.png

014_all parts.png

The upcoming days I will finish printing the remaining parts for the frame of the trailer and hopefully have it assembled in the next update.

Cheers …

So my printer has been working overtime to get all modules printed. I decided to print the side pieces and center pieces in Polymaker Steel Grey. The wheel wells I printed in Polymaker Black. I am a big fan of the Polymaker filament, real good quality.

Center parts printed …

20240309_104043.jpg

20240309_104110.jpg

20240309_104327.jpg

20240309_104017.jpg

Side parts printed …

20240309_104651.jpg

20240309_104729.jpg

20240309_104802.jpg

20240309_104856.jpg

Printing all parts took more time as expected so unfortunately I did not get around to putting all parts together. I am really curious on how the structural integrity will feel when all assembled. Below some pics of all printed parts together, it I starting to look like the picture I have in my head.

20240309_124838.jpg

20240309_124956.jpg

20240309_125045.jpg

While printing I did manage to make the 3D models of the elongated treadways and the new shorter treadways. I got them printing right now. In the next update I will have the trailer assembled, meanwhile I will look in to designing and making the floorplates for the center section.

See you on the next update …

So my printer has been working overtime to get all modules printed. I decided to print the side pieces and center pieces in Polymaker Steel Grey. The wheel wells I printed in Polymaker Black. I am a big fan of the Polymaker filament, real good quality.

Center parts printed …

View attachment 356290

View attachment 356291

View attachment 356292

View attachment 356289

Side parts printed …

View attachment 356293

View attachment 356294

View attachment 356295

View attachment 356296

Printing all parts took more time as expected so unfortunately I did not get around to putting all parts together. I am really curious on how the structural integrity will feel when all assembled. Below some pics of all printed parts together, it I starting to look like the picture I have in my head.

View attachment 356297

View attachment 356298

View attachment 356299

While printing I did manage to make the 3D models of the elongated treadways and the new shorter treadways. I got them printing right now. In the next update I will have the trailer assembled, meanwhile I will look in to designing and making the floorplates for the center section.

See you on the next update …
That looks amazing. Can't wait to see what you build next!

Thanks guys ! I plan on this being my last trailer build, I aready am running in to trouble with storing all trucks and trailers on my dedicated small scale shelf.

I made some progress as I worked on assembly of the trailer this afternoon. I started out with connecting all side parts together with M3x14mm screws, each side needs two screws. As second I attached the long treadways with eight of the small M1.4 screws, this makes the whole assembly rigid.

20240309_221239.jpg

20240309_221258.jpg

20240309_221316.jpg

All screw positions are only reachable under an angle when the parts are lined up for assembly. So in order to make screwing the parts together more easy I run a screw through each hole before the assembly, basically cutting a thread.

The center parts are connected to each other by four M3x16mm screws. For connection to the side modules I used five screws per side, two M3x12mm and three M3x16mm because of different thickness of the side parts. In order to save some weight I slimmed down from 8 to 4 mm where possible and logical.

20240309_223044.jpg

20240309_223100.jpg

20240309_224853.jpg

20240309_224938.jpg

The sloped end of the trailer has thicker walls to hopefully balance out some of the weight of the cabin on the front of the trailer. I ended the assembly with connection of the left side module and both the shorter treadways on the sloped backend

20240309_233146.jpg

Unfortunately the short treadway parts have warped slightly on one side, I will probably reprint them. Added the FCX24 to see how it will look when done.

20240309_233340.jpg

20240309_233354.jpg

20240309_233406.jpg

Next I will finalize my idea for the flooring of the center section. I will also look in to how I want or can make the connection to the truck bed. After that I can work on the gooseneck itself and start work on the cabin.

To be continued …

@Luke66: Man, I wish it was that simple ;) It is getting so cramped up inside my hobby room I am already in the process of making some CAD drawings of a complete overhaul of the room to make RC car storage more efficient. I am a bit apprehensive to pulling through though, because it will mean I will have to get rid of all the boxes of the RC’s I got. I always want to keep the box for some reason … Also the dart oche will have to go, another steep hurdle to take. I am defintely dragging my feet on this issue :confused:

Anyhow on to the build …

The half assembled backend of the trailer already has quite a bit of weight to it, so I came up with a lightweight solution for the flooring of the center section. I made some simple 2mm thick floor panels with grid infill and printed them with no top and bottom layers. They came out great, I really like them!

20240310_141315.jpg

20240310_142656.jpg

I made the floor panels 0.5mm smaller at each side to prevent fitment issues. Length wise I only made the floor panel smaller at the front side at the cabin. I disassembled the trailer to get good access to the screw points and make it a bit easier to align the floor panels and hold them in place while securing the tiny hardware.

20240310_152832.jpg

20240310_152913.jpg

All back together, really happy with this look.

20240310_154203.jpg

20240310_154210.jpg

20240310_154217.jpg

The total weight of the trailer when fully build has me bit concerned, I am not sure if the Glacier motor will be able to pull everything without issues. Therefore I decided to add a little side trail to the build. I am going to make two different front modules and thus create two versions of the gooseneck trailer. One short version without the cabin and the second version as the original plan with the cabin.

As the design is modular I only have to make one new part to make the short version. So I shortened the original square front part. Made the 3D model for the actual gooseneck and worked out a way to connect the trailer to the truck bed.

20240311_103718.jpg

20240311_103741.jpg

20240311_103809.jpg

20240311_103902.jpg

That is it for now, next task will be full assembly, add wheels and connect to the truck bed.

Catch you later !

Past two days I did not have a lot of time to work on the project, here and there a moment. But I managed to make some good progress anyway. I assembled the gooseneck and printed the stub axles needed to attach the wheels to the trailer. I had to correct the length of the stub axles and while waiting for the correct ones to finish I mocked up the combination.

20240311_110100.jpg

20240311_135523.jpg

20240311_135802.jpg

I think the gooseneck part looks a bit bulky. I will let it be for now, but I might make a slightly more slender version in the future.

Next I turned to the Glacier to see what is needed to attach the ball link in the truck bed. The ball link needs to be above the axle in the middle of the bed between both fender wells. There is a chassis brace located underneath the bed at this location. Unfortunately it has no substantial meat to screw in to.

20240311_194228.jpg

20240311_205109.jpg

As the brace was in the perfect place I could easily make a beefier version that would fit my needs. I also added a thicker centerpiece that supports the truck bed around the screw hole. After installation on the chassis I used it as drillguide to drill the hole in the floor of the truck bed from the underside.

015_chassibrace.png

20240311_210719.jpg

Installed the ball link and job done … Way less difficult as anticipated, I am really happy with the solution I came up with of the gooseneck connection.

20240311_213923.jpg

Well I slightly messed things up with attaching the ramp brackets, I thought I could use the same design as on the flatbed trailer. I had a pair of brackets in black left over from that build, so I drilled holes and attached them. I did not realize they would misalign with the treadway on the trailer.

20240311_222340.jpg

Had to make a new bracket to adjust the misalignment of the ramps and utilize or cover up the already drilled holes.

20240311_224627.jpg

20240311_224635.jpg

20240311_224644.jpg

That is it for now, not much physical progress but I had anticipated the gooseneck connection to be way more difficult in design and installation, so in regards to that I made very good progress. I have not really planned any next steps yet, so I will be contemplating about that the upcoming days and will get back when I know what I want to do next.

To be continued …

@Luke66: Man, I wish it was that simple ;) It is getting so cramped up inside my hobby room I am already in the process of making some CAD drawings of a complete overhaul of the room to make RC car storage more efficient. I am a bit apprehensive to pulling through though, because it will mean I will have to get rid of all the boxes of the RC’s I got. I always want to keep the box for some reason … Also the dart oche will have to go, another steep hurdle to take. I am defintely dragging my feet on this issue :confused:

I know Exactly what you're talking about..
I have the same problems.

I'm Working on it.
🍺🍺

Anyhow on to the build …

The half assembled backend of the trailer already has quite a bit of weight to it, so I came up with a lightweight solution for the flooring of the center section. I made some simple 2mm thick floor panels with grid infill and printed them with no top and bottom layers. They came out great, I really like them!

View attachment 357080

View attachment 357081

I made the floor panels 0.5mm smaller at each side to prevent fitment issues. Length wise I only made the floor panel smaller at the front side at the cabin. I disassembled the trailer to get good access to the screw points and make it a bit easier to align the floor panels and hold them in place while securing the tiny hardware.

View attachment 357082

View attachment 357083

All back together, really happy with this look.

View attachment 357084

View attachment 357085

View attachment 357086

The total weight of the trailer when fully build has me bit concerned, I am not sure if the Glacier motor will be able to pull everything without issues. Therefore I decided to add a little side trail to the build. I am going to make two different front modules and thus create two versions of the gooseneck trailer. One short version without the cabin and the second version as the original plan with the cabin.

As the design is modular I only have to make one new part to make the short version. So I shortened the original square front part. Made the 3D model for the actual gooseneck and worked out a way to connect the trailer to the truck bed.

View attachment 357087

View attachment 357088

View attachment 357089

View attachment 357090

That is it for now, next task will be full assembly, add wheels and connect to the truck bed.

Catch you later !

Great job!!

After looking at the combination today thinking about what next to do, I noticed how the Glacier tires do not have any sidewall support what so ever. The tires have no foams in them and are really soft. Below a pic of the stock wheel, you can clearly see the lack of sidewall support.

20240312_202840.jpg

When I bought my Axial Ryft the remote came in a separate bag filled with some odd foam cylinders, I kept them thinking one day they will come to use. And what do you know … today is that day! The foams measure 60mm in diameter, same as the tires. So I sliced a pair up in about 20mm thick discs, then made the center hole for the rim with small scissors and stuffed them in to the wheels.

20240312_200239.jpg

20240312_202215.jpg

20240312_211828.jpg

As I was already working on the wheels I decide to also tackle my second point of annoyance with the axles. The stock axles look a bit to narrow to me, the wheels are tucked in too far from the outside of the chassis. To adress this I designed and printed some wider wheel hexes and changed the trackwidth from 110 to 115mm. Small difference, but for me a big change in the looks department.

20240312_210442.jpg

20240312_210626_001.jpg

20240312_214223_001.jpg

And some pics of the new wheel setup. Much more sidewall support, way better!

20240312_214609.jpg

20240312_214617.jpg

Next I will finetune the gooseneck connection. I made the vertical “stem” that connects to the ball link a bit too long. When looking from the side you can see the "stem" is not completely vertical. Also the topside of the gooseneck arm is not parallel to the ground. I measured a difference in ride height of about 3-4mm front to back of the trailer. I will design and print a shorter “stem” and finetune the stance to my liking.

As focus is back on the trailer I will also look in to adding storage for the ramps and positioning of the spare tire.

All in the next update. Cheers …

Back