Can you mix diff oils?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danny1202

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
  2. Outcast 4s
Hi guys,

I was wondering if mixing diff oils was an acceptable practice?

First of all do you have to completely drain and clean out the old oil before putting in new..?

Secondly if I was to put 1million in the centre diff and thought it was a bit too much could I water it down with a bit of 10k?

Obviously I know you probably shouldn’t but it probably won’t hurt at the same time, the oils I’ve ordered are the same brands so probably similar ingredients.

This is me thinking out loud a bit and was keen to hear what the pro’s and vets would comment on the matter.

Cheers lads.

Yes you can. But what are you trying to achieve?

Some people may mix oils of close viscosity to fine tune. e.g. 50/50 4k and 5k to get 4.5k. You need to use scales to get the weight perfect.

Yes, clean out all the the old oil. Weigh the oil if you can so it is consistent and easy to repeat for next time.

Yes you can. But what are you trying to achieve?

Some people may mix oils of close viscosity to fine tune. e.g. 50/50 4k and 5k to get 4.5k. You need to use scales to get the weight perfect.

Yes, clean out all the the old oil. Weigh the oil if you can so it is consistent and easy to repeat for next time.
So I’m trying to stop the front wheels from ballooning so I’ve ordered 1million cst for the centre and 10k for the front and rear just to top them up if needed. If I like the characteristics of the million in the centre then happy days but if it’s too back wheel happy I thought rather then ordering more fluid could I tame it down with a bit of the 10k

I’m only bashing and having a laugh with it so I’m not after a fine tune or anything too sophisticated lol.

Cheers.

Hi guys,

I was wondering if mixing diff oils was an acceptable practice?

First of all do you have to completely drain and clean out the old oil before putting in new..?

Secondly if I was to put 1million in the centre diff and thought it was a bit too much could I water it down with a bit of 10k?

Obviously I know you probably shouldn’t but it probably won’t hurt at the same time, the oils I’ve ordered are the same brands so probably similar ingredients.

This is me thinking out loud a bit and was keen to hear what the pro’s and vets would comment on the matter.

Cheers lads.
Yes. I mixed 500 w 200 in the center diff for my Notorious. Call it 350k-375k, and it works great.

500 plus 200=700/2=350. I put more 500 than 200, call it 350-375. Linear as I can get.
That's not right. You can't divide by 2, it's not a linear scale! 50% 500k + 50% 200k = 320k, not 350k.
That was my whole point... please use the calculator in the link I posted

Yes you can mix diff oils.
That's not right. You can't divide by 2, it's not a linear scale! 50% 500k + 50% 200k = 320k, not 350k.
That was my whole point... please use the calculator in the link I posted
Got it. Point taken
Yes you can mix diff oils.

Got it. Point taken
I didn't know there was a calculator for that. Thank you.

Last edited:
Hi guy,

Just a little update on what I did with my diffs.

First of all for a newb is quite a job from start to finish but so satisfying to get it all rebuilt with only 1 or 2 screws left over 😂 only joking.

So I topped up the front and rear with standard 10k fluid, after a bit of research into the centre diff I chose to leave the 500k in and top up with 1million, using the handy calculator from @icephase i recon I got about 650,000 cst in there.

The reason I did this was because I dint want it to be too wheelie happy because I like to race it about a bit so didn’t want to stray to far from the original set up… to combat this dilemma I’ve ordered an outcast blx which will get the full 1million treatment. Don’t tell the wife 😂😂😂

Back