Infraction Castle 1717 1650Kv Gearing Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RCaDDict666

Non-Recovering RC Addict
Premium Member
ArrmaForum Fan
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Typhon TLR
As my project Infraction 8S GT-ЯR now has all the parts needed for assembly, I'm in need of gearing recommendations. Castle 1717 1650kv MMX 8S combo is the power plant. I know there’s other posts similar to this one but I can never really get a clear answer. This is a street basher so heat will become a problem. I have the stock gearing in it now (46T, 16T) but I want to get some Saga gears and need a baseline to start. Any help or references would be a huge help. Thanks in advance to this badass forum!

The higher the pinion, the more top speed but also heat and battery sag (rpm will go down as you increase pinionsize)
With your current gearing/motor/batteries it's set to max out at ~60mph
20T will put you up to 76mph
27-28T will put you around the 100mph

MMX8S is a good esc, but doesn't handle heat as good as the XLX2. Therefor i would not go beyond 100mph top speed for all out street bashing.

With the stock motormount and 46T you will also run into the (TTS) total teeth count quickly (i don't have it on top of mind, someone will pitch in i hope) My guess 24T is the largest pinion that will fit.

21T would be a good baseline pinion. Set for 80mph and a TTS of 67T

Best way is to get a bunch of cheap pinions from Amazon and test em out.

4pcs Mod 1 Pinion Gear 5mm Set Hardened 19T 20T 21T 22T M1 Pitch Gears RC Upgrade Part with Screwdriver https://a.co/d/0KMumcZ

Bash the way you bash and monitor heat with your temp gun.

Then when you find the “right one” that your grandmas always been telling you about, get that teeth count from Saga.

The higher the pinion, the more top speed but also heat and battery sag (rpm will go down as you increase pinionsize)
With your current gearing/motor/batteries it's set to max out at ~60mph
20T will put you up to 76mph
27-28T will put you around the 100mph

MMX8S is a good esc, but doesn't handle heat as good as the XLX2. Therefor i would not go beyond 100mph top speed for all out street bashing.

With the stock motormount and 46T you will also run into the (TTS) total teeth count quickly (i don't have it on top of mind, someone will pitch in i hope) My guess 24T is the largest pinion that will fit.

21T would be a good baseline pinion. Set for 80mph and a TTS of 67T
I run 24/46 on most of my trucks and there is definitely room to go up a tooth or 2 but that's about it.

1:2 gearing, is this on the 1650? I've been having heat soak issues with a 17t I must be doing something wrong 😂😭
I run that on my off road trucks with the 4985 and the hobbystar 4092’s but I’m also running 12v fans

I run that on my off road trucks with the 4985 and the hobbystar 4092’s but I’m also running 12v fans
Do you run 12v fans off an external BEC? Not much room left in the Vendetta after a 1520 and an MMX and from what I've experienced the BEC of MMX and MMX8s has no real interest in sharing power evenly(fan/led volt drop when steering)

Do you run 12v fans off an external BEC? Not much room left in the Vendetta after a 1520 and an MMX and from what I've experienced the BEC of MMX and MMX8s has no real interest in sharing power evenly(fan/led volt drop when steering)
Yeah castle bec2.0 waterproof off the esc main leads

IMG_8928.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back