Notorious 1515 2200kv vs 1650kv 1717 Notorious

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lil Dylan

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Notorious
I'm currently running the 2200kv in my notorious and it has a ton of power. Can willy instantly if my punch is turned up and doesn't seem to be lacking in any area. I'm curious why people choose to run the larger 1650kv in this application? Are people really looking for extra power or is there something I'm missing? Thanks.

Both motors work if they are geared specifically to each.(y)
1650kv will get you way more torque. How much more torque you need in a SWB Notorious is subjective. 1650-1750kv, give or take, seems to be the sweetspot as many say for most of the 6s platforms, for serious hard bashing. SWB chassis' Noto wants to wheelie if you just sneeze at it in Stock trim (2050kv)
2200kv, in theory will run hotter. A proper fan solution is a given no matter the motor IMHO.

Less heat issues with the 1650KV and you can gear higher to make up for the loss of RPM (speed) with the lower KV. The larger can 1650KV (1717 Castle or 4985 Hobbywing) might give you more torque too. I had the better experience with the Hobbywing motor. I used to run the 2200KV motor too but I like to gear high for maximum speed and the 2200KVs get hot fast with anything over a 19T pinion. With the 1650KV I use a 21T or 22T pinion minimum (I've gone as high as 25T) and get the same speed with far less heat.

I run a 2200kv motor in my K6. Had to turn the punch down, or else it'll do standing backflips. My Kraton absolutely flies with the 2200kv, but I must admit it does get preeetty toasty. I have a dual fan setup on it to help keep temps in check. I'm not outside bashing pack after pack, I'm usually a one run & done guy. I've been running that motor for over a year now and it's been nothing but reliable. Maybe one of these days I'll go to a lower KV motor...or maybe not.

I ran the Hobbywing Max8 with the 2200kv motor in my Outcast for a little bit but even on the stock 12t pinion it got so hot the magnet literally exploded inside the can. Now with the Max6 1650kv motor I have it geared up to 20t and it has a lot more power.

Not sure what esc you have now but to run the 1717 Castle motor you either need the MMX 8S or Max6 esc, the 1717 is probably going to be too much for MMX 6s.

Depends on what you're doing with your Outcast/Noto.

Even with the stock Spektrum 2050kv, I can easily do stunts as I'm taking this out in the fields with a lot of full throttle action. I have it geared with a 14T pinion with the stock electronics.

A 1650kv keeps the temps down but it's significantly heavier as well, which will affect how bad your crashes will be as it's also carrying more inertia due to the weight and torque.

The 1717 1650 in my Kraton runs very cool - I don't even need a fan unless the outside temps get into the upper eighties or nineties. And the torque is awesome: my Kraton can do a 360-degree backflip from a standing start on grass, land on the wheels, and take off like a bat out of hell.

The 1717 1650 in my Kraton runs very cool - I don't even need a fan unless the outside temps get into the upper eighties or nineties. And the torque is awesome: my Kraton can do a 360-degree backflip from a standing start on grass, land on the wheels, and take off like a bat out of hell.
Yup, even on a 90* day I would only see temps in the upper 150s lower 160s.

I've never had issues with my 2200kv so it never occurred to me to need a cooler motor. Perhaps my driving style? Thanks for the responses.
it's mostly driving style as most people here pin their throttle most of the time.

it's mostly driving style as most people here pin their throttle most of the time.
Or enjoy gearing high! I'm not a WOT type of person but I like to gear high. I'm not happy unless my kraton can do 75 :ROFLMAO:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back