Kraton Castle 1520-1650kv motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

332_RC

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Gorgon
  2. Infraction
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Notorious
  5. Senton 3s
  6. Infraction 4x4
Anyone have any experience with this motor? Castle 1520-1650kv.

Screenshot_20240121_092944_eBay.jpg

I have read that the 1520 1650 runs hotter than the 1717 1650. I have the 1717 1650 in my Kraton 6s: it's a beast, and the motor runs cool.
Either has to be better than the pic below. I was considering it because of price & kv but now I'm looking at the Castle & its in stock at LHS. What pinion you run?

Screenshot_20240121_104639_eBay.jpg

Good power, runs cool, what pinion?

Run it in my notorious, mostly on 6S. It’s a little overkill on 8S, comparable to most 4092s on 6S in terms of heat and power.

20/50 👌 i’d start at 18 until you get used to throttle control

IMG_1287.jpeg

Last edited:
Run it in my notorious, mostly on 6S. It’s a little overkill on 8S, comparable to most 4092s on 6S in terms of heat and power.

20/50 👌 i’d start at 18 until you get used to throttle control

View attachment 343702
Thank you. I have a stock Notorious except for all the steering components & EXB shock towers & few small items here & there. Building a K6. I think the Castle will be the way I go. It's in stock at LHS, the 1520.
I usually run 4S backflips however with that gearing.

Awesome! I bought 4s BF for the K6, could always try the 6S BF & change pinions. 👍

Either has to be better than the pic below. I was considering it because of price & kv but now I'm looking at the Castle & its in stock at LHS. What pinion you run?

View attachment 343675
I run a Tekno 20T hardened steel pinion. I might be able to run a 22T or 23T pinion without temp issues, but as it is I quickly run out of room running in my half-acre dirt and grass backyard.
If you go with the 1520, I recommend you put a good quality 40mm aluminum-framed fan on it. No heatsink, just a clamp-on fan mount. You might not need the fan on most days, but when the temps get up in the mid-eighties and higher it might save you from overheating the motor.

Here's my Kraton 6s with MMX 8s with 1717 1650kv motor. Since this pic was taken, I have replaced the stock motor mount with a PPS motor mount.

Kraton motor and ESC.jpg

Last edited:
You’ll have to share a lot more details my friend. What car is this? What tires? What are your speed goals? Which ESC?
Kraton on 6s. 4s backflips. No speed goal, I'm sure 60+ would be easy & plenty but a goal nonetheless. Max6 G2 ESC. Work in progress, rebuilt a used V3 K6 roller. Motor & ESC is all that is left to aquire for it.

Kraton on 6s. 4s backflips. No speed goal, I'm sure 60+ would be easy & plenty but a goal nonetheless. Max6 G2 ESC. Work in progress, rebuilt a used V3 K6 roller. Motor & ESC is all that is left to aquire for it.
My favorite part of a sensored setup is the automated temp cutoff, but the Max6 G2 sensor adapter cable (for non-HW motors) does not support temperature information. Additionally, one of the best things about a Castle motor is the “cryodrive” feature that Castle ESCs include. It makes a big difference in motor temps, but you wouldn’t experience that benefit with your Max6.

If I was in your position, I’d save the cash and buy that cheap Hobbystar 4092 you posted above. Power output is probably very similar to the 1520.

Last edited:
My favorite part of a sensored setup is the automated temp cutoff, but the Max6 G2 sensor adapter cable (for non-HW motors) does not support temperature information. Additionally, one of the best things about a Castle motor is the “cryodrive” feature that Castle ESCs include. It makes a big difference in motor temps, but you wouldn’t experience that benefit with your Max6.

If I was in your position, I’d save the cash and buy that cheap Hobbystar motor you posted above. Power output is probably very similar to the 1520.
Good to know. Thanks! The Castle has the port & the HW adapter & plug will fit it but doesn't support the Castle, ? If I read that right? And the Hobbystar is much cheaper.

Good to know. Thanks! The Castle has the port & the HW adapter & plug will fit it but doesn't support the Castle, ? If I read that right? And the Hobbystar is much cheaper.
The HW adapter supports sensored throttle delivery. Smooth with no cogging.

But it does not support temperature functions.

Hobbystar motors are legit, especially for the price. They’re my first choice in a non-sensored system.

With max 6 G2 esc, wouldn’t run any other motor with it than the 4990. It’s leaps and bounds more dynamic than any castle setup. The low speed control alone is true crawler vs castle’s still cogs crawling. It does slower speeds better than a non-sensored, but laughable in comparison. That’s why their ESCs are recommended for on-road setups, they’re one trick pony controllers with max power delivery.

With a 60mph setup even fanless, you couldn’t purposely try and overheat that motor on a hot day IMO on 6S.

The HW adapter supports sensored throttle delivery. Smooth with no cogging.

But it does not support temperature functions.

Hobbystar motors are legit, especially for the price. They’re my first choice in a non-sensored system.
I appreciate it! Can't beat the Hobbystar price. I've gone back n forth on a motor to get & had 2nd thoughts about the Hobbystar but that is great info.
With max 6 G2 esc, wouldn’t run any other motor with it than the 4990. It’s leaps and bounds more dynamic than any castle setup. The low speed control alone is true crawler vs castle’s still cogs crawling. It does slower speeds better than a non-sensored, but laughable in comparison. That’s why their ESCs are recommended for on-road setups, they’re one trick pony controllers with max power delivery.

With a 60mph setup even fanless, you couldn’t purposely try and overheat that motor on a hot day IMO on 6S.
That's good to know too. That's why I targeted the Max6.

Last edited:
One more question. Will the 4990 HW motor clear the chassis & bolt to a V5 motor mount? I found a email from Amain for 20 bucks off 200 & up & I can get the HW max6 g2 4990 combo for $219.

One more question. Will the 4990 HW motor clear the chassis & bolt to a V5 motor mount? I found a email from Amain for 20 bucks off 200 & up & I can get the HW max6 g2 4990 combo for $219.
Yes the 4990 combo will fit fine with the stock motor mount.
The low speed control alone is true crawler vs castle’s still cogs crawling. It does slower speeds better than a non-sensored, but laughable in comparison. That’s why their ESCs are recommended for on-road setups, they’re one trick pony controllers with max power delivery.
I don’t have a Max6 G2 yet. I do want one though. Great price for what you get.

But I will say my ~10 Castle systems have very good low speed throttle delivery. I can crawl along at near-zero throttle with zero cogging.

I would think there’s something wrong with your Castle system if it’s cogging at low speeds.
That’s a great price by the way. And that 4990 is definitely more powerful than the smaller 1520.

I would think there’s something wrong with your Castle system if it’s cogging at low speeds.
It’s not your typical non-sensored overgeared cog, it’s that the motor just vibrates internally at crawling speeds with no Pinion-output rotation.

The G2 will rotate 90 degrees intermittently on the output, instead of vibrating internally.

That 1520 is fine. Not as powerful as the 1717 or 4985, due to size.
It is a lot more powerful than the stock 6S motors.
The heavier Arrma 6S rigs are close to the weight limit specified for the 1520. So i never got why on earth Arrma put such small motors and ESC's in them. In my case the 1520 didn't do it either. I opted for the 4985.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back