Kraton Controller options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hulka

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
My controller took a crap the other day after 6 uses. I got the truck, Kraton, on Friday. Goes out of range around 50 feet away and stops. (Luckily) I have to walk up to about 12 feet away for it to start working. Steering is weird to as it does not want to reset straight after a turn. So not to thrilled with this controller and reading it is a pos. So I have had a futaba when I was a kid with a Blackfoot in the 80’s. No issues, but I see a lot of people like the Specktrum DX5 series. I was thinking about the Spektrum DX5C with SRS6000, or the Futaba 4PV with the R304SB. I know the Futaba is more but I am looking for something to last. I also like the idea of watching the temp on motor and stuff. (live in Phoenix).

Any feeedback will be great fully appreciated.

Kevin

I bought a $60 radiolink rc4gs and couldnt be happier. More features than i know what to do with, extra recievers are $16. My dad has that futaba and it didn't feel exponentially better for how much more it costs. Plus extra recievers are much more $$. Leaps and bounds ahead of the stock remote, which made my car commut suicide, highly recommend. Put the other $ towards chassis braces, better servo and other worthy upgrades

Spektrum dx5 are nice. Just got one for the 4s kraton
I had two complaints with my Dx5C. First was the power button. If you pressed it the wrong way, i.e. not dead center, it would get stuck and it wouldn't return to the normal position. I would have to get an x-acto knife and pry it up. My LHS tool it apart and cleaned up the button and it was better. But that was a major project.

The second issue was the scroll button. When scrolling it was really easy to press in on it which is how you make a selection. You just had to be careful. In retrospect, after using my DX5 Rugged's touchpad, the scoll button was fine ? The 5 series is a decent radio and they're a lot of things you can do with it. I lost my 5C which is how I ended up with the Rugged. I would definitely buy it again.

El cheapo flysky gt3c. 47.99 to my door. Not super for range, but as far as I can see works for me. Response is awesome, comes with rechargeable batt. Easy to use. 10 vehicle memory. Anti lock braking is pretty awesome for on road. Futaba is too proud. I have a hard time giving spectrum money after getting introduced to the rtr controller. But I'm sure I'll give in eventually.

Futaba 4PV on sale on Amain right now for 276.99. Use coupon code MAY219 for an additional $25 off! Not bad.
I almost bought the 4PV from RPP Monday for the same $276.99 + 15% off and no tax ($235.44 total) but decided on the 4PM for a couple bucks more. I wasn't sure what the difference is between them really but I know that the 4PM is the newest one. I love my 4PLS but was looking for a newer one so that my 4PLS could be my extra transmitter.

I have no issues in my limited time with the stock Tactic on both my Arrma. The new Spektrum was crap.

Is there really any / enough benefit to upgrade and if so what is it. Yea the stocker has a light cheap feel, but that is easily manipulated and not a tangible feature.

I sort of feel the same way when I read all these threads about other motors. I haven't found any reason the stock motors suck yet.

I have no issues in my limited time with the stock Tactic on both my Arrma. The new Spektrum was crap.

Is there really any / enough benefit to upgrade and if so what is it. Yea the stocker has a light cheap feel, but that is easily manipulated and not a tangible feature.

I sort of feel the same way when I read all these threads about other motors. I haven't found any reason the stock motors suck yet.
Really I don't mind the Tactic radios and have never had a problem with them. This last winter I didn't touch my bashers and only drove my crawlers, which are all on my Futaba 4PLS. After that I went back to my bashers and really noticed that the Tactics do feel cheap and light. But other than that I haven't had any issues with the 4 Tactics that I have. For a RTR radio, I think that they are very good.

That's my point. We are not flying helicopters. I glanced at better controllers, and can certainly see where more advanced vehicles may benefit.

For me driving short distances in short bursts? In a non-competitive non-crucial environment? I get tactile feel, but actual functionality?

Sure something like max-speed would be great to look down at- but I'm not looking down while I am driving, and not for that price. Peak motor temp display, maybe...but unlikely as if and when I ever cook a stock motor- I can buy replacement motors much cheaper than the controller price. I see people mention monitoring motor temps, eh- I'll know when it dies. ...and I haven't seen any posts about them dying yet.

If your talking about the Tactic it's fine. A lot of people upgrade to have one radio for multiple RC's not just for the sake of upgrading. The Spektrum STX2 is cheap crap and if it functions fine than alright but if it glitches and maybe has control range loss among other problems other than cheap feel than a change would be better.

Other motors well it's all part of customizing and making it perform the way you want it to perform or think it should JMHO.

I run on a big field to avoid hitting sh@t?. Estimate it’s 300x200 yards. Fairly flat. Never had an issue with it going out of range so far. Just keep fresh batteries in it (Tactic).
The high priced controllers have my interest but for the price of some of them, I’m 2/3 of the way to a new car

I had two complaints with my Dx5C. First was the power button. If you pressed it the wrong way, i.e. not dead center, it would get stuck and it wouldn't return to the normal position. I would have to get an x-acto knife and pry it up. My LHS tool it apart and cleaned up the button and it was better. But that was a major project.

The second issue was the scroll button. When scrolling it was really easy to press in on it which is how you make a selection. You just had to be careful. In retrospect, after using my DX5 Rugged's touchpad, the scoll button was fine ? The 5 series is a decent radio and they're a lot of things you can do with it. I lost my 5C which is how I ended up with the Rugged. I would definitely buy it again.
This is my same experience with the DX5C, power button sticks and the scroll wheel is too easy to accidentally press.
That's my point. We are not flying helicopters. I glanced at better controllers, and can certainly see where more advanced vehicles may benefit.

For me driving short distances in short bursts? In a non-competitive non-crucial environment? I get tactile feel, but actual functionality?

Sure something like max-speed would be great to look down at- but I'm not looking down while I am driving, and not for that price. Peak motor temp display, maybe...but unlikely as if and when I ever cook a stock motor- I can buy replacement motors much cheaper than the controller price. I see people mention monitoring motor temps, eh- I'll know when it dies. ...and I haven't seen any posts about them dying yet.

For bashing the Tactic radio is great, I really like the way it feels in the hand, it's not bulky or heavy the trigger and wheel are perfectly tentioned for theses vehicles, this is always my first suggestion for a replacement for the STX2 radio followed by the Radiolink RC4GS.

I've had a stock motor eat some bearings one time, but that's about it.
Every now and then you get someone with a broken shaft and I think over the years I have seen like 2 or 3 that had the magnets explode. But they don't fail that often that's for sure.

Last edited:
I need a good radio besides the stockers because I currently have 12 models. It sucks to leave the house with 3 or 4 cars and grab multiple radios and charge up the batteries. A few cars maby not but it becomes a PITA lugging around labled radios.

In retrospect, after using my DX5 Rugged's touchpad, the scoll button was fine ? The 5 series is a decent radio and they're a lot of things you can do with it. I lost my 5C which is how I ended up with the Rugged. I would definitely buy it again.

How do you like the rugged? Thought about that one too.

Great point. Personally I've never had a problem with the tactic, I'm going to upgrade to the dx5r really because I'd like it to be able to control all my cars with 1 remote. When you live in an apartment space is at a premium, having six transmitters is just silly.

I also own the dx5c. I really like it. For the price you get a lot of features. I too have had power button issues but I glued a screw to it! Works great and McGyver would be proud of me. I run 6 vehicles on it and have not had control problems. The range seems to be great too.

I need a good radio besides the stockers because I currently have 12 models. It sucks to leave the house with 3 or 4 cars and grab multiple radios and charge up the batteries. A few cars maby not but it becomes a PITA lugging around labled radios.
Radiolink RC4GS is a good option. Cheap receivers too.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back