Limitless Cramming the Rocket 4092/Hobbystar 4092 in V1 limitless -stock motor location

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nathanlow

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
Anyone tried cramming the 4092 length motors in the V1 Limitless stock motor location?
Stock motor mounts.

Any tips /tricks on mods to the motor plate or the steering posts?

Thanks a bunch.

I did this with my infraction. I fit a tp 5660 motor which is 92 mm long. I had to grind A LOT of the steering post off and even then it still touched ever so slightly and made my motor move ever so slightly. I put a zip tie around the motor and center brace to stop it from moving and called it a day. It actually worked perfectly fine the whole time I kept it that way.

I think to completely avoid having the post touch the motor you might need to raise the motor 5mm or so. Might work, if I was going to do it again, I'd probably do it the exact same way though as it wasn't pretty, but it worked great.

I did this with my infraction. I fit a tp 5660 motor which is 92 mm long. I had to grind A LOT of the steering post off and even then it still touched ever so slightly and made my motor move ever so slightly. I put a zip tie around the motor and center brace to stop it from moving and called it a day. It actually worked perfectly fine the whole time I kept it that way.

I think to completely avoid having the post touch the motor you might need to raise the motor 5mm or so. Might work, if I was going to do it again, I'd probably do it the exact same way though as it wasn't pretty, but it worked great.

@Moirae thanks for sharing ! few questions
1- After grinding the plastic posts, did it go through? As in, did you grind pass the hollow section? do u happen to have any photos?
2-raising the motor is required because it interferes with the bump in the chassis? or to clear the posts? doesn't seem like raising the motor 5mm will ever clear the posts! :LOL:Maybe i misunderstood your meaning..

I think the thing that kept my post touching the motor was the bottom part of the post, I couldn't grind it down enough. I probably could have if I had removed the post and done it but I was lazy tbh. I think if the motor was raised above that bottom part it would not touch after grinding the rest of the post down is what I meant.

I did grind a lot off, I don't think I grinded past the hollow section, but it seemed like there was almost nothing left, and I was 1 or 2 seconds from erasing all of it with the Dremel lol.

20220823_192633.jpg

Thats a picture I have saved but I can try and get a pic of the actual post tomorrow.

Last edited:
I think the thing that kept my post touching the motor was the bottom part of the post, I couldn't grind it down enough. I probably could have if I had removed the post and done it but I was lazy tbh. I think if the motor was raised above that bottom part it would not touch after grinding the rest of the post down is what I meant.

I did grind a lot off, I don't think I grinded pass the hollow section, but it seemed like there was almost nothing left, and I was 1 or 2 seconds from erasing all of it with the Dremel lol.

View attachment 253412

Thats a picture I have saved but I can try and get a pic of the actual post tomorrow.
Awesome you have done plenty. Thank you

I would recommend just buying a 4985 motor. The 4092 is better than a 4074, but you might want a stronger motor. If you want to buy a 4985 motor, you should wait until black Friday or cyber Monday.

I was wondering if the diameter or length of the armature makes more difference in terms of power. I just bought the 4092 earlier today..no black Fridays where I'm from..

I was wondering if the diameter or length of the armature makes more difference in terms of power. I just bought the 4092 earlier today..no black Fridays where I'm from..
I’ve read that motor weight is the biggest indicator of power. And total surface area matters most for cooling.

RCexplained has some good YouTube videos on the topic.

Anyone tried cramming the 4092 length motors in the V1 Limitless stock motor location?
Stock motor mounts.

Any tips /tricks on mods to the motor plate or the steering posts?

Thanks a bunch.
92 mm motor length is too close for comfort. IMHO. Doable like @Moirae stated.
I think you are better off swapping the motor to the other side. Chassis flex alone may still be an issue with that Steering post. And there is inherent Flex there.
I guess you didn't consider motor size when you bought it?:unsure:
This nice motor would absolutley fit the V2 Lim chassis in stock config. however. Arrma made more room for longer motor cans. Pushing the V2 motor mount back more so.
Just me.

92 mm motor length is too close for comfort. IMHO. Doable like @Moirae stated.
I think you are better off swapping the motor to the other side. Chassis flex alone may still be an issue with that Steering post. And there is inherent Flex there.
I guess you didn't consider motor size when you bought it?:unsure:
This nice motor would absolutley fit the V2 Lim chassis in stock config. however. Arrma made more room for longer motor cans. Pushing the V2 motor mount back more so.
Just me.
I bought it after Moirae showed me that it's doable 🤣.plus there seems to be quite a good review on the 4092 here. The other choice would have been 4585 or 4985, but was worried bout hitting the driveshafts or the bump in the chassis and also the additional weight and also fitment on stock motor mount. Am trying to keep the stock motor location to have 2 batteries at each side. Am running the limitless body and no plans to go gt anytime soon.

Regarding torque difference, was wondering difference between 4985(larger can, shorter armature) vs 4092(smaller can but longer armature). Not against the 4074

I would look over many of Raz Shifrin's builds. He has modded many different size motors into the Lim chassis. Both in stock motor config. and right hand side mounted.
He has great ideas.

Thanks guys for the input. So glad to be part of this awesome forums. U guys have helped me out many times here. And also, so much info from all the threads here. Will give this 4092 a try and keep u guys updated on the progress.
Will print out a slimmer bellcrank tomorrow( minus the 6*10*3bearings) and see if it can clear the motor.
Yeah I watched most of Raz's videos. Let me check if he has one with 4092

wow awesome. hook us up with that 3d file!

*I don't even have a 3d printer but I'd totally pay someone to make me one or two of those

wow awesome. hook us up with that 3d file!

*I don't even have a 3d printer but I'd totally pay someone to make me one or two of those
Sure thing! Here is the stl file (zipped). Will put it up in Thingiverse later.

The 4092 is so torquey, started stripping my input gear upon 1st start up from standstill. And I wasn't even gunning it. Just 5% throttle on 30pinion 37spur.

Kraaaaakkk sound at the front diff.

Nice work! The filament looks shiny. PC? Nylon? PETG?
Thanks! I printed it in PLA Plus, 100% infill. Seems plenty strong.

Attachments

• Limitless bellcrank.zip
    12.9 KB · Views: 43
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back