Kraton Kraton EXB OG - HobbyStar 4092/1730

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BendORBasher

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Senton 6s
  4. Typhon 6s
I installed a HobbyStar 4092 1730 in my Kraton over the weekend and have a question for you guys. It seems there is a lot of resistance or drag in the motor. I tested with the pinion/spur (17/50) pulled apart and there is almost zero drag in the drivetrain so I know it’s in the motor. It barely rolls a few feet when pushed on the garage floor. I took the motor back out and hand turn tested it against the stock motor and although it’s harder to turn, it’s not THAT much harder and feels similar overall. Does this sound normal and expected for these motors? Thanks for any help you all can offer.

IMG_7071.jpeg

I installed a HobbyStar 4092 1730 in my Kraton over the weekend and have a question for you guys. It seems there is a lot of resistance or drag in the motor. I tested with the pinion/spur (17/50) pulled apart and there is almost zero drag in the drivetrain so I know it’s in the motor. It barely rolls a few feet when pushed on the garage floor. I took the motor back out and hand turn tested it against the stock motor and although it’s harder to turn, it’s not THAT much harder and feels similar overall. Does this sound normal and expected for these motors? Thanks for any help you all can offer.

View attachment 343901
I'm not sure, I'm still learning. Was considering the 4092/4282 HS for my Kraton & the Hobbywing ESC. Could you post a pic from straight over the top? Like at the motor / rear. I'm tinkering with some ideas with the chassis, I'm wondering about clearances of the motor to the brace & driveshaft. And did you de-anodize the red parts? Nice looking rig!!

Last edited:
Yup, they are "clicky" if you would say... what size pinion?
Edit, just caught the 17/50.... but it will loosen up a little over time. I have quite a few of the hobbystar 4076-4092's wide range of kv's...Mike

Last edited:
Most likely just the resistance of the magnets in the motor. My Rocket 4092 does the same. Acts like a drag brake, LOL. I believe it's normal. Mine is 2 years old now, no issues.
Thank you. I appreciate the help.

Assume you are running 6s packs.
If the performance is not to your liking, play with the pinion size . This motor has much Torque due to its Strong Magnetic Flux. You might be under geared a slight bit?? IDK. Trial and error.

I'm not sure, I'm still learning. Was considering the 4092/4282 HS for my Kraton & the Hobbywing ESC. Could you post a pic from straight over the top? Like at the motor / rear. I'm tinkering with some ideas with the chassis, I'm wondering about clearances of the motor to the brace & driveshaft. And did you de-anodize the red parts? Nice looking rig!!
Its the same diameter as the stock 4074 I believe, so no clearance issues to the brace or driveshaft. Yes, I did de-anodize some parts. I'm not too crazy about the red everything. I like the way it looks also. Thanks!

Assume you are running 6s packs.
If the performance is not to your liking, play with the pinion size . This motor has much Torque due to its Strong Magnetic Flux. You might be under geared a slight bit?? IDK. Trial and error.
Yes. 6s packs. The largest RRP pinion I had on hand was 17 so that is where I started. I think I had a 15 in it before? Not 100% sure. I need the snow to melt before it can really be tested!

How did the 15T feel by comparison to 17T.
Your observations?
You might be under geared, and over revving that motor. IDK? I run a 17T Pin. with my 2050KV stocker motor on 6s.
Try a 2T increase next ??? :unsure:

Its the same diameter as the stock 4074 I believe, so no clearance issues to the brace or driveshaft. Yes, I did de-anodize some parts. I'm not too crazy about the red everything. I like the way it looks also. Thanks!
👍How'd you de-anodize them? Currently I have a mix of red & silver aluminum parts. Thinking all silver is the route

Your observations?
You might be under geared, and over revving that motor. IDK? I run a 17T Pin. with my 2050KV stocker motor on 6s.
Yeah you’re going to want some more tire speed with 150mm backflips, 18-20T.

Yeah, Tire Rollout must also be considered along with Gearing.(y)
But 2050kv/6s does have its limits IMHO.

Last edited:
Yeah, Tire Rollout must also be considered along with Gearing.(y)
But 2050kv/6s does have its limits IMHO.
Maybe a stupid question, but explain tire rollout & gear selection?

Rollout is the measured distance of one full tire rotation. So wheel diameter is part of this. The bigger it is, gearing plays into this, because the final drive ratio is always factored by both Pinion and Tire size.
It gets more technical than this. An RC speed gear calculator does the math for you. Rollout being measure in MM. Find one to play with, and it should make more sense.

Rollout is the measured distance of one full tire rotation. So wheel diameter is part of this. The bigger it is, gearing plays into this, because the final drive ratio is always factored by both Pinion and Tre size.
It gets more technical than this. An RC speed gear calculator does the math for you. Rollout being measure in MM. Find one to play with, and it should make more sense.
Makes perfect sense. Just like in drag racing & launching off the tree, changing ring & pinion & tire diameter is like a science. Thanks man. I'll check out a RC calculator. I've used them in drag racing.

Longer motor cans despite the having same diameter will give more torque.

Your observations?
15T was with the stock 2050kv. There is snow everywhere so I haven’t been able to run the 17T on my 1730kv HobbyStar so no comparison yet. I’ll have to try it out soon and pick up a 19T to compare. Thanks.
👍How'd you de-anodize them? Currently I have a mix of red & silver aluminum parts. Thinking all silver is the route
Easy Off oven cleaner. Yellow can. There’s some vidoes out there. Don’t freak if it tarnishes the aluminum. It cleans up easy with a scotch bright pad.

Easy Off oven cleaner. Yellow can. There’s some vidoes out there. Don’t freak if it tarnishes the aluminum. It cleans up easy with a scotch bright pad.
Thanks man. Screenshot this. 👍I got tons scotch brite.

I use a strong degreaser in a container to soak, watch it when the color strips off. And it wont tarnish and turn Black. I polish them up well like chrome afterwards. I like the look of bare alloys best. Just there is no Anodizing protection left. So it discolors over time. Nothing an additional polish can't solve.

Back