Typhon Deep Cleaning - 6S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpinRush_C1

Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
After my very 1st Bash, my Typhon 6S was a chocolate cake on wheels. I listened to a lot of people here and tried to follow their instructions as best as I could. I made a YouTube video which is absolutely boring if you are not into RC. It’s so boring, that I fell asleep twice while trying to edit it.

However, to someone here who is interested in RC, it might be interesting. I hope somebody watches this video so they can critique me. Here’s a link to Deep Cleaning video. I really tried to clean this thing the best I could.

Nice video. (y)
Did you really just watch that video? I was so pessimistic uploading that video. I fell asleep editing my own video. Thank you, though. I appreciate it. Not sure if I did anything wrong while cleaning it. I sprayed the whole thing down. I checked Arrma’s website and here trying to find out if the ESC was waterproof or not. I couldn’t get a true answer so I just washed it anyway.

It's fair to say that a cleaning video may not be the most riveting thing to create/edit/watch. But it is always cool to see how people go about it and see if there are any tips to pick up.

A few things to consider:

I'd be inclined to remove the ESC/receiver for future washings. (assuming you are spraying simple green/other directly onto the ESC)
Be mindful of oil as too much oil attracts dirt/dust. An oiler bottle uses less oil than a spray pack.
Electrical Contact Cleaner is handy to use as it "generally" does not harm plastics.
Be careful with compressed air. too much pressure can push dirt/crud into places you don't want i.e bearings.

Also good to see people who take pride in their work. (y)

After my very 1st Bash, my Typhon 6S was a chocolate cake on wheels. I listened to a lot of people here and tried to follow their instructions as best as I could. I made a YouTube video which is absolutely boring if you are not into RC. It’s so boring, that I fell asleep twice while trying to edit it.

However, to someone here who is interested in RC, it might be interesting. I hope somebody watches this video so they can critique me. Here’s a link to Deep Cleaning video. I really tried to clean this thing the best I could.

Good lord man! Where do you bash, the bottom of a pond? So much mud inside the wheels!

I didn’t see anything wrong with what you did there. Take that with a grain of salt though, because I’m certainly not the authority on this subject.

It's fair to say that a cleaning video may not be the most riveting thing to create/edit/watch. But it is always cool to see how people go about it and see if there are any tips to pick up.

A few things to consider:

I'd be inclined to remove the ESC/receiver for future washings. (assuming you are spraying simple green/other directly onto the ESC)
Be mindful of oil as too much oil attracts dirt/dust. An oiler bottle uses less oil than a spray pack.
Electrical Contact Cleaner is handy to use as it "generally" does not harm plastics.
Be careful with compressed air. too much pressure can push dirt/crud into places you don't want i.e bearings.

Also good to see people who take pride in their work. (y)
No Simple Green sprayed directly towards any open parts. I didn't super soak the vehicle. Instead, I used a paintbrush to gently clean certain areas where my finger could not get to. However, when I sprayed the vehicle down with water, I can't say that water did not get into the ESC or the transmitter. AGAIN, before doing this project I could not for the life of me find proof that those parts are waterproof or not.

I was also careful with the compressed air. The oil you are absolutely right about. I will try to find an oiler bottle. One thing though, when I used that oil on the bearings, I definitely flushed out dirt and debris. I had to put paper towels under that area as it was dripping out crude oil.

Thanks for taking the time to talk about the whole cleaning process. It will be helpful in the future.
Good lord man! Where do you bash, the bottom of a pond? So much mud inside the wheels!

I didn’t see anything wrong with what you did there. Take that with a grain of salt though, because I’m certainly not the authority on this subject.
When I was out bashing that day, I swear I thought the ground was dry. I was out there kicking up plenty of dust. YouTube is acting hella funny these days. Videos are just disappearing. No notice or anything.

Last edited:

Alright, I won't lie. I fast forwarded through it so I could get a glimpse of all the things you did. First off, very nice job. You may want to talk to @Porschetech about a job as a detailer. On that note, this was after just one bash in a mostly dry dirt field. There is no way you can keep up this level of perfection once you start getting it really dirty. Also, be aware that oil and protectants will also attract dirt, so as time goes on with the regimen you are using, you will have a harder and harder time getting it as clean as this first time. The only real place you need oil, is just a drop on a "clean" bearing. Anywhere else and you will have dirt piling up and unnecessarily wearing away at parts. The best scenario is having clean parts without the added oils or protectants. In most cases, brushing or blowing off the dirt and a good wipe with a damp cloth, will be all you need to do. The Simple Green is a great idea as it will leave no residue once you've wiped and dried things. Quick evaporating electrical parts cleaner is much gentler than break cleaner and comes in handy when blasting the hard to get areas as well as getting a lot of the crud out of bearings. I love the intensity though, and remember the beginning for me, when I thought I would never let my truck be dirty. Nothing compares to a new car look and feel, but once you get comfortable bashing it harder and harder, you'll have to give in to the used car blues.

Why me? ? I’m not a detailer by trade, but I know how to detail.
I've seen your work sparky, and if that's not detailing, then it's time to rewrite the definition.

I've seen your work sparky, and if that's not detailing, then it's time to rewrite the definition.
I know how to do it as I have the right tools and materials. I’m self taught......first car was a lil scary though. I guess I’m a lil anal and too meticulous

You did good @SpinRush_C1. Nice video too.

Just some quick points.

Just use the brake cleaner on the metal diff parts (I use it for this) or like other said us some electrical contact cleaner.

Good job using the brush and just a little degreaser, no need to soak it.

Don’t directly pray the ESC. It is waterproof or splashoroof but use caution when spraying anything on it. The motor I wouldn’t worry too much about.

Oil on the bearings is good but just a drop will do. Dust sticks too it and can make it worse the next time you bash. Don’t stress over it though, still enjoy it and don’t think it’s going to blow the next time you go out.

Interior dressing is good, it should help shed water and protect to some degree. I use the same thing but a different kind. Just wipe and buff away the excess because it too will attract dirt. Spray wax works well too.

You can spray some oil on a toothbrush and coat each screw to halt the rusting.

When cleaning the arms, take out the bottom pin of the shocks and swing them up and out of the way to access the arms better. Loosen the screw at 10:00 from your finger, remove the pin and rotate the shocks 180.

932D46BB-E891-4250-8821-AC58F54E6935.png

Did you really just watch that video? I was so pessimistic uploading that video. I fell asleep editing my own video. Thank you, though. I appreciate it. Not sure if I did anything wrong while cleaning it. I sprayed the whole thing down. I checked Arrma’s website and here trying to find out if the ESC was waterproof or not. I couldn’t get a true answer so I just washed it anyway.
Once in a while I will find myself at a bash spot that is muddy/wet. I try to avoid that but sometimes I'll just run it anyway.(rare).
@SpinRush_C1, yes great video. Your editing is spot on. (y) The only thing I would recommend is that you disassemble your hubs to examine your 8 axel bearings. Clean and lube them off the hubs. Especially the stock metal shielded bearings. BTW, the inner larger diameter hub bearings are the first to fail. Disassemble the rig more after you initially clean it. I would not use an Exacto Knife but use old tooth brushes and even a paint brush and microfiber towels as I do. Spraying oil or anything else near the bearings doesn't do much except maybe push dirt into the bearings and also some cleaners have water in them that will cause rust within them. But overall, you have a meticulously "clean" rig there. I am sure you don't want to get it that muddy again after all that cleaning effort.:) But we all been there once or twice. Thanks for the video. It is very helpful to many on AF(y)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back