Mojave Did someone already dye mojave wheels ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sebcbien

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Mojave EXB
  3. Outcast 8s
  4. Outcast 6s
  5. Typhon 6s
Hello,

I want to change the color of my red/yellow mojave rims and make them darker (Grey/black).
Is it possible ?
Did you try ? what are the results ?
Can I use a clothe dye ?
Do I have to remove the tire before ?

Thanks ! :)

It's always possible to go darker but not lighter.
Just watch the temp so the wheels don't melt.
Yes RIT dye.
Yes you will have to remove the tires.

Hello,

I want to change the color of my red/yellow mojave rims and make them darker (Grey/black).
Is it possible ?
Did you try ? what are the results ?
Can I use a clothe dye ?
Do I have to remove the tire before ?

Thanks ! :)
I took a red t-bone bumper and made it black using RIT dye

I don’t thing gray will work unless it’s the yellow to gray

Thanks everyone ! :)
Why do I have to remove the tires ? they will melt ?

The way you use RIT is you add it to water and heat it on the stove then submerge what ever you want to dye

It is hot like really hot I don’t think it would be good no the tires

If you dye them with the tires on there is a possibility that they can unglue from the wheels.
sooooo i have chrome wheels with red (beadlock ) rims
am i skrewed?
Some chrome can take dye iirc but I can't guarantee that it will work.

Yes, tires have to be dismounted. Honestly, you will be boiling the Wheel in a clothes dye and water for like 25 minutes or until desired color is achieved.. The rubber tires will separate anyway if you leave the whole wheel together. No good if you leave the tires and foams on. Will be a total mess. Foams will be compromised also. The Mojave wheels and tires are NOT available separately. Would be the best way to go if you could. Just buy a set of the Grey wheels if color really matters to you. We use Rit Brand clothes dye here. Done this many times. Can take a while for the color to take. Depends on the plastics. Pure nylon is quicker than composite plastics. Sometimes the color is hard to achieve. You can only make plastic darker than it is with a darker dye. Black is best. Not into lighter or a brighter color unless the wheel is white plastic or nylon.. Wheels need to be perfectly clean of any grease or dirt. Or spotting will happen. Uneven coloring. Grease will block color saturation. Even the slightest amount. Been there.:cool:
Slightest amount of old CA residue on the wheels will prevent color saturation. Blocks it. Why its best to use a new fresh unused wheel.

Edit.
Boiling wheels/tires in water alone is one way or method to separate the CA, rubber and plastic wheels from each other. FWIW.

Last edited:
Yes, tires have to be dismounted. Honestly, you will be boiling the Wheel in a clothes dye and water for like 25 minutes or until desired color is achieved.. The rubber tires will separate anyway if you leave the whole wheel together. No good if you leave the tires and foams on. Will be a total mess. Foams will be compromised also. The Mojave wheels and tires are NOT available separately. Would be the best way to go if you could. Just buy a set of the Grey wheels if color really matters to you. We use Rit Brand clothes dye here. Done this many times. Can take a while for the color to take. Depends on the plastics. Pure nylon is quicker than composite plastics. Sometimes the color is hard to achieve. You can only make plastic darker than it is with a darker dye. Black is best. Not into lighter or a brighter color unless the wheel is white plastic or nylon.. Wheels need to be perfectly clean of any grease or dirt. Or spotting will happen. Uneven coloring. Grease will block color saturation. Even the slightest amount. Been there.:cool:
Slightest amount of old CA residue on the wheels will prevent color saturation. Blocks it. Why its best to use a new fresh unused wheel.

Edit.
Boiling wheels/tires in water alone is one way or method to separate the CA, rubber and plastic wheels from each other. FWIW.
I find boiling tires to be rather tedious. I tried to boil off my Backflips from the wheels and gave up after nearly 45 minutes.

Will admit boiling is not the best way. Some like the oven method better. Many have the best results with the acetone vapor method. A method I despise.:LOL:
Would rather buy new wheels than use acetone any more. Tried it just one time. A Long process dealing with acetone. Not for me.
Just me.:cool:

Edit:
I boiled 5 Crawler wheel/tires. Wanted the stocker tires for a set of alloy beadlocks. Worked only well enough for mounting on Beadlocks. The tires would not have been good enough to re-CA them onto another set of plastic wheels.
I tried acetone with a set of PL Badlands 3.8's trying to save the wheels. Got poor results also.

Last edited:
^^^ Yeah thats what I said. Boiling is the least hazardous. Little stinking going on.:ROFLMAO:. Still can burn yourself though. Careful when working to get out the foams. Boiled water splatters. Gloves......

I personally use the heatgun method with quite good results.
Use good gloves and heat not too fast. After 10 minutes they usualy start to ask divorce to the wheel.

Thanks for all your advices, I will probably buy new rims, the one i have are not clean enough and already re-glued :rolleyes: !

Last edited:
I couldn’t deal with the funk and hazards of separating wheels and tires… I know they get expensive, but I would rather save up for a new set, than go through all the work of trying to save a wheel or a tire….and then have it all FAIL anyways!!! Ask me how I know??? LMAO

To each their own! But for me, I’ll buy tires and then pick the wheels “I want” and glue them up. :)

I personally use the heatgun method with quite good results.
Use good gloves and heat not too fast. After 10 minutes they usualy start to ask divorce tho the wheel.

Thanks for all your advices, I will probably buy new rims, the one i have are not clean enough and already re-glued :rolleyes: !
I melted a wheel bead using a commercial heat gun before. Even on it's low setting. Tedious also.
I rather use the oven method for heat. More even and controlled heat.

I did not dye my wheels. I painted them. FWIW. :)

res20211112_180218.jpg

I also painted them. IMO, stock EXB wheels are a bit too light gray. Painted the wheels gunmetal with a few drops of charcoal.
The paint on the wheels hold up good (still going strong), the painting on the tires not so much, so took that off. The shiny tires come from the clearcoat to protect the tire painting. Doesn’t hold up in sand and dirt though😂.
1636793457605.jpeg

Oh yeah, love the white letter tires. :love:

I bought some Louise brand white letter tires for another truck and even though factory, the letters deteriorated pretty quickly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back