Granite Diff outdrives no longer alive

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Billy p

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
This happened yesterday. I ordered a new set but I was wondering, is there any brand that makes upgraded ones? I did some research but I didn't find any. Stock work good it is first time to break them after 21 months. But I was just wondering...

IMG_20220727_000536.jpg

AR310775.jpg

This happened yesterday. I ordered a new set but I was wondering, is there any brand that makes upgraded ones? I did some research but I didn't find any. Stock work good it is first time to break them after 21 months. But I was just wondering...

View attachment 232242

View attachment 232243

Hello

You should not need an upgrade. Speaking for me, when this happened, it was due to me. Had belted tires on, just too much on the drivetrain and diffs. Maybe the slipper is too tight, adding too much stress. It has been said as well when jumping and landing under power on the throttle, you can kill gears. Also, check your bearings the one between the power module and the diff is famous for going bad. On my Granite/Big Rock, I must change that bearing often.

I have seen this also when changing the diff when there was too much fluid or fluid in the hole which that gear drops in, so make sure when you place the gear in the cup it s dry and fill around the gears. No fluid in any of the holes the gear goes in or the pin holes else things will float around inside the cup and this could happen.

Last edited:
Interesting. I don't think i often see internal diff gears getting destroyed. Too much diff action (like diffing out to one wheel) or sudden torques to one wheel? How much fluid was in the diff case where the internal gears were?

Interesting. I don't think i often see internal diff gears getting destroyed. Too much diff action (like diffing out to one wheel) or sudden torques to one wheel? How much fluid was in the diff case where the internal gears were?
What you thinking is absolutely true. I was using a 10k diff oil not from some brand. I think I need more cst for my driving style. So I got a hudy 80k diff oil so it isn't too easy for the gears in the diff to spin.

What you thinking is absolutely true. I was using a 10k diff oil not from some brand. I think I need more cst for my driving style. So I got a hudy 80k diff oil so it isn't too easy for the gears in the diff to spin.
80k seems a little high, your ability to steer might suffer quite a bit. But that's all a matter of driving preference. As far as your gears, can you warranty them? HH should replace them through warranty.

80k seems a little high, your ability to steer might suffer quite a bit. But that's all a matter of driving preference. As far as your gears, can you warranty them? HH should replace them through warranty.
I don't know if I can cause I be owning my granite for 21 months. I already bought a set but I may try to send an email to hh

I don't know if I can cause I be owning my granite for 21 months. I already bought a set but I may try to send an email to hh

Yep if you used an 80wt diff oil too heavy

I run 30/10K
20/10k
20/20k can make it more manageable

I try to stay under 30k with this lighter RC and play within those numbers. 10-50k is a normal range seen here, but I have success in my bash style in that range. I like to enter corners under power, and punch out of the corner seems for me heavier up front helps a lot.

Tires....have a big play on why I use the number I use. I have two totally different style tires I run. It's all about testing and finding your zone.

Yep if you used an 80wt diff oil too heavy

I run 30/10K
20/10k
20/20k can make it more manageable

I try to stay under 30k with this lighter RC and play within those numbers. 10-50k is a normal range seen here, but I have success in my bash style in that range. I like to enter corners under power, and punch out of the corner seems for me heavier up front helps a lot.

Tires....have a big play on why I use the number I use. I have two totally different style tires I run. It's all about testing and finding your zone.
Exactly that's what I'm trying to do, find the one that is suitable for my driving style Thanks for all the info!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back