Difference between Futaba 7pxr and 10px

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dk10438

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Limitless
Hi
recently had an issue with a 4PM and so I'm returning it to Futaba. The radio I really wanted was a 7Pxr or 10px because I wanted it to be compatible with Castle telemetry so I suppose it's just as well. What are the differences between the 2 radios besides the 10PX having 3 additional channels. I can get the 10px on the popular auction site for 599 but it would be shipped from Taiwan and transit time would be 4-6 weeks. Alternatively I could get either at MSRP and have immediate gratification. Thoughts?

The 10px has a new transmission mode called F-4G. I think, given the choice, I'd go with the 10px.

From the manual:
F-4G system & telemetry Equipped with an F-4G system that enables telemetry with faster response than the T-FHSS SR system.

It certainly can. If you decide to go that route and need any help with the Castle telemetry stuff, hit me up. I'll be happy to lend a hand if you have any questions about how to connect it or get it setup in the transmitter. Some stuff is obvious, some stuff not so much. It's not particularly well documented and there's an error in Castle's own instruction manual on how to connect it. The circled connector needs to be plugged into channel two. Otherwise your range gets drastically shortened and the car just acts really funky. Don't know why they haven't updated this yet. Like said, I can help you out if anything is unclear. :)
1663732476734.png

It certainly can. If you decide to go that route and need any help with the Castle telemetry stuff, hit me up. I'll be happy to lend a hand if you have any questions about how to connect it or get it setup in the transmitter. Some stuff is obvious, some stuff not so much. It's not particularly well documented and there's an error in Castle's own instruction manual on how to connect it. The circled connector needs to be plugged into channel two. Otherwise your range gets drastically shortened and the car just acts really funky. Don't know why they haven't updated this yet. Like said, I can help you out if anything is unclear. :)
View attachment 244938
Thanks!
I was actually looking at a thread a few year ago illustrating where it was noted that the castle instructions were wrong and you had responded that range was very limited until you connected it according to the OP. What I didn't understand was the how the Castle link hooks up.
Tele link plugged into RX wire (which is where the castle link plugs into)
Sbus wire from tele link plugs into the SBUS port on the receiver
Ext input plugs into channel 2 of receiver

so how do you connect the Castle link??

I think I'm going to just get the 10px off of ebay for $599. Seems like a pretty good deal and then I won't have to worry about getting "something better".
I was able to sell my Losi SCT and my drone stuff so that pretty much paid for a new radio.

You remember that thread!! lol...nice :)

Do you mean the b-link or the quick connect duo? I'm using the quick connect duo myself. I connected the ESC and AUX from the ESC into the quick connect duo, from there the AUX into channel 3 on the receiver, the wire labeled Rx into the telemetry module, from the telemetry module the wire labeled S.BUS2 into to S.BUS channel on the receiver, the Ext. input/Castle link wire into channel 2, and the link wire back out of the electronics box. I got the larger electronics box from the Limitless to get it all to fit. It's seriously sardines in the smaller Infraction electronics box.

$599 sounds like a really good deal. It's what I'd get if I was in the market for a new Futaba Tx. There's one thing to note about Futaba transmitters that I didn't fully understand when purchasing the 7PXR that you should know about before it catches you off guard. Yes, it's a seven channel transmitter. There's a catch though (and I think this probably applies to the 10px as well - I'm not 100% on this, but the fact that it comes with a four channel Rx leads me to believe the same holds true for the 10px). It's seven (or ten) channel, but you can only use a maximum of four channels when running the system in T-FHSS or T-FHSS SR mode. I haven't looked into the above mentioned F-4G mode for confirmation whether it applies as well, but I suspect that it does. You need to "downgrade" to the slower protocol S-FHSS to use a receiver like the R2006GS to get six channels. I think the R2008GS is compatible for eight channels, but not 100% certain, so...don't quote me on that. I mean, realistically, four channels should (in theory) be sufficient for operating a car. But if you connect the AUX channel from your Castle ESC that leaves you with one channel left. Depending on your needs (I had an active aero spoiler on my Infraction and lights so I had to find a compromise).

If having a lot of channels is something that's important to what you want to do with your car, this is a caveat you should be aware of. The two receivers I named don't cost a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, but it's an additional cost nevertheless if you want to operate more than four channels (previously mentioned uncertainty notwithstanding).

Hope that all makes sense :)

Edit: I just remembered one last thing...at least I think this is correct. I don't think telemetry works with S-FHSS mode. Someone fact check me before I do it myself.

Edit 2: Yes, this is correct. S-FHSS receivers do not have an S.BUS2 port to connect the telemetry link to.

Last edited:
$599 sounds like a really good deal. It's what I'd get if I was in the market for a new Futaba Tx. There's one thing to note about Futaba transmitters that I didn't fully understand when purchasing the 7PXR that you should know about before it catches you off guard. Yes, it's a seven channel transmitter. There's a catch though (and I think this probably applies to the 10px as well - I'm not 100% on this, but the fact that it comes with a four channel Rx leads me to believe the same holds true for the 10px). It's seven (or ten) channel, but you can only use a maximum of four channels when running the system in T-FHSS or T-FHSS SR mode. I haven't looked into the above mentioned F-4G mode for confirmation whether it applies as well, but I suspect that it does. You need to "downgrade" to the slower protocol S-FHSS to use a receiver like the R2006GS to get six channels. I think the R2008GS is compatible for eight channels, but not 100% certain, so...don't quote me on that. I mean, realistically, four channels should (in theory) be sufficient for operating a car. But if you connect the AUX channel from your Castle ESC that leaves you with one channel left. Depending on your needs (I had an active aero spoiler on my Infraction and lights so I had to find a compromise).

If having a lot of channels is something that's important to what you want to do with your car, this is a caveat you should be aware of. The two receivers I named don't cost a whole lot in the grand scheme of things, but it's an additional cost nevertheless if you want to operate more than four channels (previously mentioned uncertainty notwithstanding).

Quoting the part about amount of channels of the above radios, I have the 7PXR and use it with some of my crawlers (main reason I bought it was the 7 channels) but I could only get more than 4 channels working unless I switched to analog in one of the menus 🤔 maybe I'm wrong but if anyone knows better please let me know.

@Diem Turner .. Telemetry with castle esc's ?? what works, how and what do I need to buy extra to get this to work.??
I may PM you later for more info/help 👍🏼

Quoting the part about amount of channels of the above radios, I have the 7PXR and use it with some of my crawlers (main reason I bought it was the 7 channels) but I could only get more than 4 channels working unless I switched to analog in one of the menus 🤔 maybe I'm wrong but if anyone knows better please let me know.

@Diem Turner .. Telemetry with castle esc's ?? what works, how and what do I need to buy extra to get this to work.??
I may PM you later for more info/help 👍🏼
What you need is the Castle Futaba telemetry link.
https://www.castlecreations.com/en/telemetry-link-for-sbus2-010-0152-00

I highly recommend getting the quick connect duo as well if you intend to use data logging as it's a royal PITA to always have to open up your electronics box and unplug the ESC so you can plug it into your PC (if you do intend to make use of data logging I highly recommend going the USB dongle or programming card route with a PC and not the b-link bluetooth unit).
https://www.castlecreations.com/en/quick-connect-duo-010-0149-00

I like the telemetry for monitoring my battery voltage. The rest like RPM and stuff is fun to look at but not practical when driving around (or maybe I'm just too big of a wuss to look at my transmitter during speed runs 🤪).

Aside from that I got the Futaba SBS-01TE temperature sensor for my motor so I can keep an eye on that on my transmitter which is nice. The ESC temp is wonky but I don't really worry about XLX2 temps.

You're always welcome to slide into my DMs if you have any questions bro. Always happy to help out :)

Edit: As for operating the 7PXR with more than four channels requires switching to the S-FHSS protocol. None of the T-FHSS surface receivers have more than four channels and the receivers with six or eight channels all operate on the S-FHSS protocol. It's not a digital/analog thing. So, just to be clear, it's not possible to utilize the telemetry with more than four channels as it requires an S.BUS2 port which the S-FHSS receivers do not have. Me and my buddy have spent many hours trying to figure out a way around this limitation but, to my knowledge and everything I've researched in relation to it, it just isn't possible. If anyone out there has been able to find a workaround to this conundrum and can show me a working setup with Castle telemetry and more than four channels, I'm all eyes so...please @ me :)

Last edited:
Yeah
I seem to remember reading that all channels were not available with the T-FHSS mode and that had to use a sbus hub to use all the channels or something like that.
Anyway, don’t really need all the channels. Only using 2 plus a gyro currently but I have the temp sensor on my desk waiting to be installed. The temp sensor and the gyro can both be plugged into a sbus hub? Even if it can’t, it’s still only 4. Excited to get this and install it!

If I bought just those two Castle products you link to, what data would the 7PXR read out??
I'm using a MMX8s with TP motors 😎
1663740986518.png

I know they say battery current, but that doesn't work correctly. At least not for me. The reading is all over the place and completely unusable. As always, YMMV. Motor power output is just a 0-100% scale, so don't expect a wattage meter or anything like that :) Some of the stuff is just a novelty. Like I don't see any reason why I'd need a real time monitor of ripple voltage. That's just kind of silly to me. It's probably just there because it can and not because it's useful. But that's just me.
Yeah
I seem to remember reading that all channels were not available with the T-FHSS mode and that had to use a sbus hub to use all the channels or something like that.
Anyway, don’t really need all the channels. Only using 2 plus a gyro currently but I have the temp sensor on my desk waiting to be installed. The temp sensor and the gyro can both be plugged into a sbus hub? Even if it can’t, it’s still only 4. Excited to get this and install it!
An S.BUS hub will get you more S.BUS input ports, but not more channels on the transmitter. It's good for hooking up telemetry sensors but you cannot exceed four channels when operating in the T-FHSS transmission protocol. I have a GYC-441 installed but I don't have it connected to my S.BUS yet. I have a hub but my electronics box is so full of wires I don't think I can make it fit. I just have a Y-harness in my S.BUS port where I have my telemetry link and temp sensor plugged into at the moment. I'll give it a try at some point to get the S.BUS hub in there so I can connect the gyro and, hopefully, be able to adjust it remotely. For now I've settled on manual adjustment with a jewelers screwdriver.

You remember that thread!! lol...nice :)

Do you mean the b-link or the quick connect duo? I'm using the quick connect duo myself. I connected the ESC and AUX from the ESC into the quick connect duo, from there the AUX into channel 3 on the receiver, the wire labeled Rx into the telemetry module, from the telemetry module the wire labeled S.BUS2 into to S.BUS channel on the receiver, the Ext. input/Castle link wire into channel 2, and the link wire back out of the electronics box. I got the larger electronics box from the Limitless to get it all to fit. It's seriously sardines in the smaller Infraction electronics box.

Edit: I just remembered one last thing...at least I think this is correct. I don't think telemetry works with S-FHSS mode. Someone fact check me before I do it myself.

Edit 2: Yes, this is correct. S-FHSS receivers do not have an S.BUS2 port to connect the telemetry link to.
It’s been nearly 2 years since iv purchased this quick connect and it’s still in its packet.
Iv got a B link stashed in the receiver box, and like you said she gets a little tight in there.
Iv yet to use it but they reckon they’ve updated the B link so you can down load logs of a speed run pass…..

E42F9DC9-849C-4B80-A3A4-69D53598E6E3.jpeg

Stupid question, I guess it only works with receivers with S-BUS ??

correctamundo-pulp-fiction.gif

It only works with the following receivers: R304SB / R324SB / R334SB / R404SB

Unless you plan on using a flight Tx/Rx. Then you're open to using the R7008SB / R7104SB / R7108SB

Last edited:
I'm a smidge annoyed with Futaba since they seems to have a pattern of overstating the capabilities of their radios. 3pv was listed as having "telemetry" but is only compatible with a single telemetry sensor (voltage I believe) and 7Px and 10Px only have 7 and 10 channels with non tele and slower protocols. It's all good though.

Edit-
I guess with the new 404SB receivers you get 4 channels and the other 6 are accessible via the SBUS and the ports are daisy chained but you can access all 10 channels..
View attachment 245021

It only works with the following receivers: R304SB / R324SB / R334SB / R404SB

Unless you plan on using a flight Tx/Rx. Then you're open to using the R7008SB / R7104SB / R7108SB
R7000 series receivers work with 7Px and 10px?
not listed that way on the futaba compatibility chart....

Last edited:
I'm a smidge annoyed with Futaba since it seems to be a pattern of m

R7000 series receivers work with 7Px and 10px?
not listed that way on the futaba compatibility chart....
No, they don't. Futaba has an A and a B protocol for surface and air Tx/Rx combos and they're not compatible. There's a small selection of older aircraft receivers like the R2006GS and R2008SB that straddle the boundary before they sectioned off their receivers by these two different protocols. The R2006GS doesn't have an S.BUS port at all and the R2008SB has an older S.BUS port (not S.BUS2 and, from my research, is not upward compatible but that's not confirmed) so Castle telemetry is off the table...probably. I have yet to see anyone try it with the R2008SB so there's a remote possibility that it might be possible. I don't have it all in front of me anymore as it's been a while since I went down that rabbit hole but I'm pretty sure that I came to the conclusion that it wouldn't work. I might send an email to Castle and ask if they actually ever tried out telemetry with the R2008SB or if they know for certain that it wouldn't work, just to see if I can get some verification whether or not it's even worth trying.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back