Difference between hobbywing axe and

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looking for new electronics for my trx4 because it keeps biting motors looking at the hobbywing axe or this spectrum Version of it that would have the better warranty or should I go the castle mamba x path. Open to ideas
I run the axe, and freaking love it. Lots of grunt.

I have a ton of HW setups and I can attest to the praises among bashers and pro racers.

The Axe R2 550 3300kv is what I have in my TRX-4 Bronco Raptor

The Axe is outstanding if you need a 550 for the chunky TRX4, otherwise Fusion Pro is also outstanding, as are the Fusion SEs. I have a Fusion SE in one car, Axe in another, and I'm about to put the Capra back together with a Rhino ESC paired with a cheap outrunner I'm excited to try out.

I have a ton of HW setups and I can attest to the praises among bashers and pro racers.

The Axe R2 550 3300kv is what I have in my TRX-4 Bronco Raptor
Hobbywing is definitely good for racing when I was in my prime for racing they were a great option but I used team powers for racing because I was locked to them

The Axe is outstanding if you need a 550 for the chunky TRX4, otherwise Fusion Pro is also outstanding, as are the Fusion SEs. I have a Fusion SE in one car, Axe in another, and I'm about to put the Capra back together with a Rhino ESC paired with a cheap outrunner I'm excited to try out.
Fusion SE is the way to go. There is no competition for the price.

Imho can't beat a hobbywing 1080 brushed and a rebuilable brushed motor. Reliable and cheap and seriously long run times.
I know that having BLX in your Crawler is "glamorous". But TBH, I tried it and preferred a brushed setup. If you are just wanting all the speed you get with a BLX setup, then you are not understanding the Very Slow thing. These are not fast Basher models. Not saying brushed is better. The Top HW $Axe$ model still gets rave reviews, yet I still rather have my Rebuildable Brushed motors (Holmes Hobbies) and a Brushed 1080 or ISDT90. Brushed feels so nice on a low geared Crawler on the rocks. And not as noisy as BLX setups. And I feel for much less $$$ Brushed is all you need. No "real great" advantage to BLX in a Crawler platform. Except for your ego and bragging rights of some sort??:unsure:
Most new to the hobby are not familiar with Brushed. The big marketting push is with BLX, in everything today. BLX is a big "Buzz Word" in RC. I get it.
:LOL:

Last edited:
When I had a trx 4 builders kit, I don't think I ever replaced the stock motor and it played part-time submarine.
That’s crazy I used my trx4 5 times and smoked 3 motors in that time and properly broke them in

Brushed motors handle the wet quite easily. The are open and vented and can dry out and be cleaned and lubed much quicker. Unlike BLX motors, that appear sealed, but water/moisture gets in and and can't exit, Will trash a BLX and its BB's real quick. Brushed or any motor needs to be serviced frequently, or they will all fail sooner than later. Brushed are so cheap to replace when they do fail.

Axe is nice but since the fusion has come I don’t think I’ll ever buy another axe. The fusion is so clean to instal without all long wires of the axe tied up everywhere. I have two axe systems, 2 fusion, crawlmaster minis, 2 castle micro x and a half dozen 1080s. For the money the fusion se is a bargain, the pro has nicer start up, little more power, more settings but nearly twice the price. The newer se might be better now. Hw 1080 with a Holmes crawl master sport motor is a nice up grade for the money as well but just a few dollars cheaper than the fusion se. The Holmes crawl master mini esc it’s a real winner. Probably not powerful enough for a full blown trx4 but the sport is fine with it. Needs to be used with a bec or directly wired high voltage servo.
Rock on!

I know that having BLX in your Crawler is "glamorous". But TBH, I tried it and preferred a brushed setup. If you are just wanting all the speed you get with a BLX setup, then you are not understanding the Very Slow thing. These are not fast Basher models. Not saying brushed is better. The Top HW $Axe$ model still gets rave reviews, yet I still rather have my Rebuildable Brushed motors (Holmes Hobbies) and a Brushed 1080 or ISDT90. Brushed feels so nice on a low geared Crawler on the rocks. And not as noisy as BLX setups. And I feel for much less $$$ Brushed is all you need. No "real great" advantage to BLX in a Crawler platform. Except for your ego and bragging rights of some sort??:unsure:
Most new to the hobby are not familiar with Brushed. The big marketting push is with BLX, in everything today. BLX is a big "Buzz Word" in RC. I get it.
:LOL:
Fusion SE is priced the same or lower than most quality brushed setups like a holmes and 1080, and has smoother throttle than any brushed setup I've ever seen. If you don't like the constant throttle motion from the FOC that's understandable though. Personally after driving FOC I can't go back, although Fusion Pro and Axe both have the ability to turn off the FOC and just have normal brushed style throttle.

FOC doesn't grab me. It's more like an Cruise control To me, creating some unrealistic way to Crawl. 1:1 Scale Crawlers are NOT driven that way. And because I am more of an RC Crawler purist. Hill hold works best for me and most important with my 1080.
Fusion SE is HW's budget AXE, if I am correct. It is noisy. I heard it is can be under powered for heavier Rigs. IDK much more.
I swear by the ISDT90 Brushed ESC. Yet I am the only one here that ever tried it.

The whole Fusion SE AXE setup for $84. , is basically bricked if one component fails. Being an integrated one piece ESC within Motor design. You are limited, with the out the box setup as well. And the AXE Pro is expensive. $240. Definitely the high end stuff.

I feel this is the better setup. 80 amps. Just me. But I am very comfortable with Brushed motors. Maybe just a love for them in Crawler applications.. No BLX Sensor wires to deal with.

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/col.../quicrun-1080-g2-combo?variant=40620897632371

Last edited:
Back