Limitless Do capacitor packs matter?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
🫶😆I hope “yes” .. there’s just sooo much info that has been carrying on from vid to vid and now we’re at this point.
Then make more short videos that address a given topic in a concise manner. No offense, but there are a million YT vids on the benefits of cap packs. So who will watch a video that’s almost an hour long for info that can be gleaned in 2:32?

I always thought cap packs were overrated till my daughter started screaming "your truck is on fire". I've attached a picture of the esc. I agree, the info needs to be packaged in a simpler and easier to understand manner.

20221127_185212.jpg

I always thought cap packs were overrated till my daughter started screaming "your truck is on fire". I've attached a picture of the esc. I agree, the info needs to be packaged in a simpler and easier to understand manner.

View attachment 300576
Wow so that’s from the capacitors in the esc that blew up from too much load🫨

Seems the OG Max 8's do catch fire. Max 6 is the better choice. Can't really say if a Cap pack would prevent that. If an new ESC includes a separate Cap Pack, I would use it Per the manual if it states so. Just that many ESC's already have Caps on the PCB. Adding more seems odd, if the ESC was designed properly out the gate. But any Decent ESC, shouldn't need additional Caps for Bashing purposes. IMHO. For some moral support and insurance can't hurt. Subjectively, to each his own.
Speed running is another story.

I'm starting to suspect that the spektrum 150a and max8 aren't really that far off each other. From the max8's manual:
Screenshot_20230519_160037.jpg

I wasn't anywhere near one of the situations they talk about and mine went up in smoke. Almost like the max8 is designed right on "the edge" for 6s.

If the PCB mounted Caps on an ESC get to 85C (185F) then you need the Cap pack. That according to the Max 8 manual.....:unsure:
I always measure my ESC PCB mounted Caps. They have never got to 185F. With or without an external Cap pack. My Externals or PCB ones never even reach 130F. Give or take.
What I notice. FWIW. I know for sure that if caps reach 185F+, the tops of then will Pop and Split open. And Designed to do this and as a Signal that the one Cap is Bricked. Been there with Caps years past. Caps are normal getting warm to hot while doing their job.
Just there is a limit. Measure them with a temp gun. And Caps don't always measure identical temps from one to the other. Check each one. As with most ESC's, Speed Running/ Hard pulls, really gets them hot running, and quickly. Hence where caps are most important.
I'm starting to suspect that the spektrum 150a and max8 aren't really that far off each other. From the max8's manual:
View attachment 300861
I wasn't anywhere near one of the situations they talk about and mine went up in smoke. Almost like the max8 is designed right on "the edge" for 6s.
Yeah that OG Max 8 was not all that, for this reason. Poorly designed out the gate for 6s applications. It has been since discontinued for like 5 months now. Max 8 G2 replaced it. Now a Sensored ESC.(y) With very robust Parameter feature set, like with all of the HW Sensored ESC's.
Max 8 G2 is a completely different ESC altogether. No resemblence to the OG Max 8. There is no "included" Cap pack now, or or makes mention of needing one.

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/col...ucts/ezrun-max8-esc-g2?variant=40122439139443

Looks to be a nice ESC. But the proprietary Sensor wire, strong and WP, might limit you with motor choices. And I think there are Only 2 sensored motor KV combos to choose from. Might be a deal breaker for some. IDK

Last edited:
I have a bunch of the 2250kv Hobbywing motor, one is sitting in my Outcast 6s now. They're stout and don't have an overheating problem. The 2500kv one seems like a 10th scale/light buggy motor. Short can, high kv. Hobbywing makes an adapter plug for the sensor wire. I like Hobbywing motors but they're escs I question. My only 6s experience is with the Max8. One lit on fire and the other suffers from dementia right out of the box.

Seems the OG Max 8's do catch fire. Max 6 is the better choice. Can't really say if a Cap pack would prevent that. If an new ESC includes a separate Cap Pack, I would use it Per the manual if it states so. Just that many ESC's already have Caps on the PCB. Adding more seems odd, if the ESC was designed properly out the gate. But any Decent ESC, shouldn't need additional Caps for Bashing purposes. IMHO. For some moral support and insurance can't hurt. Subjectively, to each his own.
Speed running is another story.
Lots of ppl out there pushing things to the limits. We ask they make😁

Then make more short videos that address a given topic in a concise manner. No offense, but there are a million YT vids on the benefits of cap packs. So who will watch a video that’s almost an hour long for info that can be gleaned in 2:32?
If you really must know why my videos are 45 minutes long is because my channel is not monetized yet and I have requirements to meet one of them being 40,000 watch hours. Whether or not you find the information more extensive than what an experienced Rc hobbyist would prefer, it’s also because new people join the hobby every day and buy new parts and accessories all the time. Debating over a subject or topic that has already been covered in the past or recent day is not a valid reason for another channel to opt out of covering the subject from their own perspective. Content that no body has seen or heard of is more risky than covering a popular subject that people are familiar with and is still a popular search. Once my channel is monetized, I won’t need a long video to meet “hours” requirements, instead it will be solely for view count due to the adds that play regardless of the length of the video, even tho adders prefer longer videos to shove adds into.

Lots of ppl out there pushing things to the limits. We ask they make😁
Thanks. (y)
I have a bunch of the 2250kv Hobbywing motor, one is sitting in my Outcast 6s now. They're stout and don't have an overheating problem. The 2500kv one seems like a 10th scale/light buggy motor. Short can, high kv. Hobbywing makes an adapter plug for the sensor wire. I like Hobbywing motors but they're escs I question. My only 6s experience is with the Max8. One lit on fire and the other suffers from dementia right out of the box.
8 HW sensored ESC's, some really old, still going strong. Not a hiccup.

Last edited:
So i just clicked randomly in the middle of a 52 min video and instantly have my name mentioned :)

On topic:
A MMX8S does indeed benefit from a cappack, a XLX2 does have plenty of caps to do great without.
Caps have a limited lifespan, so the more the esc is used, ripple will go up.
Rule of thumb, ripple has to be less then 10% of your imput voltage. <3% is great.

View attachment 300576
Just because there is an ESC fire, doesn't necessarily mean because of the lack of Caps. Like stated earlier, that Max8 is a known POS. And Discontinued for a reason. Giving HW a black eye. There were numerous threads in regards years back when this ESC was the new flavor of the month, a Hot item. Yeah, real Hot when it burns up.:LOL: No better than the Arrma BLX185 at the time. Had a fire with this one also when switching over to its first 6s lipo You just can't overgear these ESC's. Same basic ESC. HH warranteed a good amount of burnt up BLX185's also. Made by HW. If you look close, the BLX185 even has Hobbywing branding on the bottom of it.
Be thankful they are both gone now.

Last edited:
If you really must know why my videos are 45 minutes long is because my channel is not monetized yet and I have requirements to meet one of them being 40,000 watch hours. Whether or not you find the information more extensive than what an experienced Rc hobbyist would prefer, it’s also because new people join the hobby every day and buy new parts and accessories all the time. Debating over a subject or topic that has already been covered in the past or recent day is not a valid reason for another channel to opt out of covering the subject from their own perspective. Content that no body has seen or heard of is more risky than covering a popular subject that people are familiar with and is still a popular search. Once my channel is monetized, I won’t need a long video to meet “hours” requirements, instead it will be solely for view count due to the adds that play regardless of the length of the video, even tho adders prefer longer videos to shove adds into.
I don’t “must know” but if you’re looking for watch hours then I think you’re hurting your case by making hour long videos that nobody is going to watch when they can choose from a couple of hundred similar and equally informative videos that last only a few minutes. And I agree, new perspectives are quite valuable and offer an alternative viewpoint. But if you can’t offer your individual perspective in a concise and informative manner that’s less than 45 minutes or an hour long then you’re losing the battle. IMHO. I don’t care how much I personally love a YouTube channel or find the creator entertaining and/or awesome but there is no way I’m ever going to waste an hour of my life watching something that long that can be better explained in 8 or 10 minutes. After your channel is “monetized“ perhaps you can rely on fanboys that will watch your content no matter how excruciatingly long they may be, if you’re lucky. Not trying to be mean at all, this is just the feedback you asked for from my perspective.
Also, nice job on your editing and production. You’re good at that.

I don’t “must know” but if you’re looking for watch hours then I think you’re hurting your case by making hour long videos that nobody is going to watch when they can choose from a couple of hundred similar and equally informative videos that last only a few minutes. And I agree, new perspectives are quite valuable and offer an alternative viewpoint. But if you can’t offer your individual perspective in a concise and informative manner that’s less than 45 minutes or an hour long then you’re losing the battle. IMHO. I don’t care how much I personally love a YouTube channel or find the creator entertaining and/or awesome but there is no way I’m ever going to waste an hour of my life watching something that long that can be better explained in 8 or 10 minutes. After your channel is “monetized“ perhaps you can rely on fanboys that will watch your content no matter how excruciatingly long they may be, if you’re lucky. Not trying to be mean at all, this is just the feedback you asked for from my perspective.
Also, nice job on your editing and production. You’re good at that.
No body is asking you about my channel’s content production or progress in analytics. Nor am I asking you for any advice on how to produce content on my channel. No offense but I enjoy what I do and I go with the flow based on my personal life style and free time. If you truly care about another person’s channel success, then say positive things rather than only the things which you strongly disagree with.

No body is asking you about my channel’s content production or progress in analytics. Nor am I asking you for any advice on how to produce content on my channel. No offense but I enjoy what I do and I go with the flow based on my personal life style and free time. If you truly care about another person’s channel success, then say positive things rather than only the things which you strongly disagree with.
No offense intended at all. Just saying I personally wouldn’t choose to watch a YouTube video of that length. And like I said, your production is good. When you view the analytics can you see how long people watched it? Just curious, I’m trying to learn a bit before I start having to post videos.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back