Does anyone run without a receiver box?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harv666

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I have a waterproof receiver (I know that doesn't mean anything), but do I actually need the receiver box? Its such a pain in the ass to get in and out of it. Is there another way to mount the antenna to the chassis without the box in ? I had to modify my box to make my receiver fit so theres a hole in it anyway so just wondering if I actually need it. Any help is appreciated.

Great question. My new rectum receiver had to be jammed into the box on an angle and without the servo plug housings ( yes individually shrink wrapped pins ). Super PITA to do

I run my crawler receivers naked (and they spend A LOT of time submerged). None of them come waterproof but I dunked the boards in some kind of plastisomething liquid. No problems. Since I'm never more than a couple feet away from them, I run my antenna along the chassis. You could find a way to mount an antenna tube upright to avoid range issues.

I run my speed runners without a box for maximum antenna exposure. But my bashers don’t have an external antenna so I do run those in a box.

I think you have it backwards, if you have a physical antenna it is the very end that does the reception, box that receiver all you want and keep the tip exposed. If you have no antenna protruding then your antenna is internal so beware of the material the box is made of. The only thing that is going to mess you up is if you shield the reception and these fiber reinforced plastics are not going to do that. That would take carbon fiber or metal.

As long as it’s secured well, and the antenna is safe you shouldn’t have a problem. The box is really just a way to keep it safe and a mounting place. The biggest problem of running it out of box on a basher is your servo connections could come unplugged or possibly damaged.

With the old tiny V1 rx box, I ran with the lid off most of the time, with the RX velcro'ed into the box. Many of my RC's don't even have an RX box, the RX is just velcro'ed or taped down to the chassis some where.

For the antenna, I almost never use a tube, I will sprial-wrap it so it looks like a spring, and let it fly. It mostly stays put. I have never had range issues with the 2.8ghz gear, so I don't stress over it like I did with the old AM gear.

I think you have it backwards, if you have a physical antenna it is the very end that does the reception, box that receiver all you want and keep the tip exposed. If you have no antenna protruding then your antenna is internal so beware of the material the box is made of. The only thing that is going to mess you up is if you shield the reception and these fiber reinforced plastics are not going to do that. That would take carbon fiber or metal.
When you’re speed running and need 1000ft range, every mm of height on the antenna is helpful. The further away the tip is from other electronics, the less interference it receives. So I like to use all of the antenna length, not spool it up uselessly.

It depends, if you drive in water or dirt and bash hard then definitely use the receiver box. Mostly I drive on road so I remove receiver boxes and use a strong 3m double sided adhesive tape to hold the receiver where I want it, away from other components and mounted so I can get the antenna high over the car. To mount the antenna I usually use a small aluminum antenna mount. The 3m tape I use is thick and gummy so it provides some cushion against vibration also, but i don't wrap the receiver in foam or anything like that

Drill a hole in top same size as antenna tube.
78CDDF65-6AA1-4D10-9C35-CAEA63F61732.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back