Does Ear plugged center diff contribute to rear diff fail? (Outcast)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harith7oe

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Current setup on my outcast is max5/800kv with 37/39 gearing, I always run it on punch level 3 and I have already ear plugged my center diff out of the box. Previously on stock setup, there is no issue with it everything runs smooth.

Recently I broke both rear CVD pins (m2c driveshaft) and then followed with blown rear diff. Currently Im rebuilding all 3 diffs and try to make it last.
Already bought the aluminum diff cases for front and rear diff, new diff internal , new RCAWD CVDs with 4mm pin and new set of Duratrax Lockup tire.

The question is, should I maintain the ear plug in the center on my current setup or lower it to 20million since the lockups is heavier than the stock backflips. Will it helps to prevent me blowing another diff if I go down to 20million diff fluid? or should I just maintain the ear plug but lower down the gearing to 34-35/39

Thanks

What do you mean by blown diff? I blew stock rear dogbones with heavy tires and castle 2028 1100kv. That was before I had ear plugs in the center. Now I have m2c overkill shafts in the rear with slightly lighter tires and an ear plugged center diff. I've had nothing but a good experience with ear plugging my center diff. I liked it so much I did it to my o8s too and that still has stock rear dogbones. No problems with that so far either and it's using kraton exb tires.

My kraton has mx43's which are heavier than your duratrax tires fwiw.

What do you mean by blown diff? I blew stock rear dogbones with heavy tires and castle 2028 1100kv. That was before I had ear plugs in the center. Now I have m2c overkill shafts in the rear with slightly lighter tires and an ear plugged center diff. I've had nothing but a good experience with ear plugging my center diff. I liked it so much I did it to my o8s too and that still has stock rear dogbones. No problems with that so far either and it's using kraton exb tires.

My kraton has mx43's which are heavier than your duratrax tires fwiw.
My rear diff case cracked and the gears inside are missing few teeth. I do sus the diff case fail first resulting the gear to bind and break. I hope by replacing the plastic diff case with aluminum it will hold up stronger.

and yeah I really love how my truck perform when the center is ear plugged. But afraid by doing that Imma break the diff again. I think I will give it another go and maintain the ear plug. Maybe lower down the gearing a bit and stick to loose dirt bash lol.

Thanks Man

The v2 stock setup is 20million weight in the center which imo is about the same as the ear plugs (ear plugs might be a little thicker). It is what I run, I am pretty easy on that rig though, driveshafts and plastic diff case has been fine. I am pretty meticulous about setup and now use plastic safe grease on the ring gear. Have used Red and Tacky as well with no issues.

If you go with the Arrma aluminum diff case be sure to use good Locktite, I have also heard from extreme bashers sometimes the screws shear off on those. I hear Vitavon makes some pretty decent cups, I like their V1 one piece design personally.

The v2 stock setup is 20million weight in the center which imo is about the same as the ear plugs (ear plugs might be a little thicker). It is what I run, I am pretty easy on that rig though, driveshafts and plastic diff case has been fine. I am pretty meticulous about setup and now use plastic safe grease on the ring gear. Have used Red and Tacky as well with no issues.

If you go with the Arrma aluminum diff case be sure to use good Locktite, I have also heard from extreme bashers sometimes the screws shear off on those. I hear Vitavon makes some pretty decent cups, I like their V1 one piece design personally.
Yeah Imo I feel like 20million will be less harsh to the rear drivetrain since the power is distributed to the front more than the ear plugged center diff. But if its too much power transferred to the front I do afraid it will start to break. On stock, I find that arrma did not fill the center diff enough and mine came with 3/5 diff fluid in it. I will try to pack as much as I can this time and see how.

I do go with GPM aluminum diff case since the vitavon one is quite pricey for me lol. Hope they last

Anyway thanks for the input boss

Yeah Imo I feel like 20million will be less harsh to the rear drivetrain since the power is distributed to the front more than the ear plugged center diff. But if its too much power transferred to the front I do afraid it will start to break.
just my two cents being still very new to the 8s arena...

Since you are going with belted tires, in the Lockup X, you should get less ballooning even if you go with the 20mil in the center vs the silicone. FWIW I run silicone in my center diff in my Outcast as well in my X-Maxx

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back