Drone with camera

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Typhon 6s
  3. Typhon Mega
I’ve been looking (kinda) for a “good” drone with a good camera for my oldest son .
I’d prefer one that you don’t have to connect your phone to …./and one that takes good pics and vids (he will wanna take videos of his brothers riding dirt bikes and other “throttle junkies” events …
Looking for suggestions opinions ideas !!
His birfday is the 18th !!!
So ya
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!
RFB

+1 for DJI, it even has built in safety to tell you when drones aren’t allowed. I’m looking for a drone as well, and DJI Mini 3 Pro has been one of my top tries so far. It wasn’t able to do what I wanted to do, so I ended up sending it back. I wanted it to autonomously follow my RC and my daughter around. It follows myself or a full size car around. A RC car, Power wheels, or a toddler, and it would lose the target and start flying away. The next one on my list is a skydio, but they’ve been out of stock for awhile.

+1 for DJI, it even has built in safety to tell you when drones aren’t allowed. I’m looking for a drone as well, and DJI Mini 3 Pro has been one of my top tries so far. It wasn’t able to do what I wanted to do, so I ended up sending it back. I wanted it to autonomously follow my RC and my daughter around. It follows myself or a full size car around. A RC car, Power wheels, or a toddler, and it would lose the target and start flying away. The next one on my list is a skydio, but they’ve been out of stock for awhile.
This is why we originally got a drone and we quickly learned it's just not possible to auto follow rc. skydio would work but the beacon is so big it wont fit in any normal sized rig. I also am under the impression that skydio is getting out of consumer drone market and only dealing with businesses. If you really want to to follow an rc the best bet is to get into fpv drones and learn to actually pilot but that is definitely not as easy.

I'd go a different direction, and look at exo drones. U.S. based customer service, and they haven't been blacklisted by the US government, so you can still get the app on the play store if you want.

I'd go a different direction, and look at exo drones. U.S. based customer service, and they haven't been blacklisted by the US government, so you can still get the app on the play store if you want.
To bad they suck compared to dji. Would be nice if an american company actually was able to compete but none of them are even close to approaching dji in features and quality. :cry:

Dji mini 3 pro
I love the kid to death but not sure I ❤️ him $750 ?
Just sayin…..
Lol
I’ve internet looked at some of these DJI drones and they get salty….
Now I’m reading something bout registering to fly er something????
I’ve had my fill of “Tax Stamps” not sure which route to go now ……
We have 70 ish acres and it’s difficult for me to ask anyone “permission” to do whatever I want from the core of the earF to the galaxy on my lil section of erF …
Cogitating ……

I love the kid to death but not sure I ❤️ him $750 ?
Just sayin…..
Lol
I’ve internet looked at some of these DJI drones and they get salty….
Now I’m reading something bout registering to fly er something????
I’ve had my fill of “Tax Stamps” not sure which route to go now ……
We have 70 ish acres and it’s difficult for me to ask anyone “permission” to do whatever I want from the core of the earF to the galaxy on my lil section of erF …
Cogitating ……
iirc you have to register any drone that is over 250 grams in weight. I think the mini 3 pro is actually under 250 grams so you don't have to register it. Regardless, registering is free and takes like 30 mins of reading some common sense info that wouldn't be a bad idea to know anyway. You take a quick and easy multiple choice test and when you're done you write your registration number on your drone somewhere. Whole process was like less than an hour.

You also only have to do it once and after that you can write your number on any drone you get afterwards.

The mini 3 pro is definitely the best drone in it's class and has lots of cool features but yea 750$ aint cheap. If it was me I'd get an amazon store card and charge that female dog with the ability to pay in 6 months no interest :ROFLMAO:

What about a “Heli” ?
Good reasonable Heli options???
I got him a plane some time ago it would have been awsome if there was never any wind !!!!
Uhg

I’m torn on Birfday gifts ……
IMO my boys are spoiled ..
I’m considering not getting the oldest anything for his Birfday just to see how he reacts! 😀😀
He will be 13 !!!
What could possibly go wrong?
Lol

I’m torn on Birfday gifts ……
IMO my boys are spoiled ..
I’m considering not getting the oldest anything for his Birfday just to see how he reacts! 😀😀
He will be 13 !!!
What could possibly go wrong?
Lol
Maybe just gift him a gas can for his dirtbike.

Dji mini 3 pro
+1
My personal choice right now, also. DJI cams and video are the best there is. Just make sure to check with FAA regs, depending where you plan on flying it.
Technically ANY quad must be registered. The Under 249 grams Rule ( Mini 3), not needing the license is deceiving. Not completely immune to regulations. The FAA flying safety rules still apply. And although Police, state or local, really have no say or jursidiction with Federally controlled air space, local police scan be assholes. Much about this all over YT right now. They don't even have the right to ask that the FAA license be shown. Only the FAA can demand it and enforce it. BTW, the FAA is trying to subvert DJI, and prevent them from being flown all together. Not meeting FAA spec. I think it is just a big China/USA pissing contest. DJI is a huge Chinese company and the #1 brand in the Quad market share.

Last edited:
+1
My personal choice right now, also. DJI cams and video are the best there is. Just make sure to check with FAA regs, depending where you plan on flying it.
Technically ANY quad must be registered. The Under 249 grams Rule ( Mini 3), not needing the license is deceiving. Not completely immune to regulations. The FAA flying safety rules still apply. And although Police, state or local, really have no say or jursidiction with Federally controlled air space, local police scan be assholes. Much about this all over YT right now. They don't even have the right to ask that the FAA license be shown. Only the FAA can demand it and enforce it. BTW, the FAA is trying to subvert DJI, and prevent them from being flown all together. Not meeting FAA spec. I think it is just a big China/USA pissing contest. DJI is a huge company and the #1 brand in the Quad market share.
What sucks is local city regulations can make stupid rules like "no landing or take off from city property. That's how it is in my city. You can fly over all the parks you want but you can't take off or land. Awesome if you have a house close by but good luck otherwise. Really poopy tbh, and then the county 30 mins away has zero rules about drones at all lol. I know where I'm moving :ROFLMAO:

Maybe just gift him a gas can for his dirtbike.
Been there done that. Somehow they think a gift is right these days. I am always reminded of that by my son.:ROFLMAO: I always give something. I even tried just a B-day card. As a joke. To see his response. Yeah He is spoiled though. That is my fault. I get it.
Need to change things up, he 13 yo now.:LOL:

Last edited:
What sucks is local city regulations can make stupid rules like "no landing or take off from city property. That's how it is in my city. You can fly over all the parks you want but you can't take off or land. Awesome if you have a house close by but good luck otherwise. Really poopy tbh, and then the county 30 mins away has zero rules about drones at all lol. I know where I'm moving :ROFLMAO:
Then they tell you to go to the air field that you have to pay yearly to use. I don't even have a problem paying but why would I want to fly at the same location every single time? that sounds lame af.

I never knew how annoying it could be to fly a drone until recently. You think RC cars get karens? PFFT people are straight up ignorant and clueless when it comes to drones.

I have a Dji Phantom 3 Standard, Mavic Pro, Mavic mini and Spark.

Probably get a mini 3 with multiple batteries.

I'm registered with the FAA (last time I checked) I just need to remember to put the FAA number on my Mavic Pro. It's on my Phantom.

Ron maybe get your son a 360 degree camera and some good mics and he can make videos that way.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back