Infraction Arrma Infraction Digital HD FPV Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr9Mojave

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
VEHICLE SPECS-
1x Radiolink 7CH RC6GS V3
1X Radiolink R8EF Receiver
1x Raspberry Pi Zero W

1x Raspberry Pi 5MP Camera
1x Alfa AWUS036ACH USB Wifi Adapter
1x 3.3v Logic Converter
1x 5v UBEC
1x Holybro Kakute F4 V2 Flight Controller/Ardupilot/Rover
1x Matek SAM M8Q GPS
1x Magnetic Light Kit From 4T Design Studio
3dtechmods-
Polycarbonate Carbon Fibre Side Skirts
Polycarbonate Carbon Fibre Rear Winglets
Polycarbonate Carbon Fibre Front Wheel Covers
Polycarbonate Carbon Fibre Front & Rear Mud Guards
Polycarbonate Carbon Fibre Front Grille
Front Headlight Lenses/Rear Tail Light Buckets
1x Runcam 5

1x Runcam 2
2x Gens Bashing 3S 8000mah 100C

GROUND STATION-
1x Raspberry Pi 4B
1x 5v UBEC
1xJoystick Module
1x Alfa AWUS036ACH USB Wifi Adapter

End Goal?
To have complete control using a racing simulator steering wheel, seat, pedals and handbrake.
Antenna will be mounted up high on the roof of the house from ground station for optimum video feed.
Best antenna will eventually be a HD television antenna with tracking that will follow and always be pointing at the vehicle.

Build is now finished, test run video..very light test and first time driving an rc car in years...please don't laugh it's very boring but the next video wont be.
https://vimeo.com/835422139?share=copy#t=0

Hi everyone, i thought i would start my build thread now for I'm on the cusp of building my fpv system to go into the Infraction. Then i can just compile everything here without creating new threads.

So the fpv feed will be controlled by 2 Raspberry Pi's, one the car and the other being the ground station. I was originally going to go the 4GLTE route, but after research is has shown to have too much lag.

I'll update this thread as i go along of course for I'm learning about this system as i go along and have a few more components to purchase so will divulge more as i get more into it.

So the car will have 3 camera's all up, maybe 4 for the system allows camera switching.
One HD cam for the front and rear and of course the camera which will be my eyes running from the Pi.

Range will be interesting, i know i can use the ground station as a radio link but I'll just be using the radio with a receiver claiming 2km range. I know the video feed will reach 2km easily not sure about the radio so will be an interesting test once it's up and running.

I decided to run with the Infraction instead of the Mojave for i realised i don't want to bash off-road anymore.
I would have to get in the car and find somewhere to run it, where with the Infraction i can drive it straight out the driveway and i have a playground of roads to bash.

The Mojave is just beautiful to look at, pictures of it don't do it justice they really don't.
But all time will be going into the Infraction, I'm waiting until some side skirts with front and rear wings become available plus i have an extra set of tyres on the way to chew up for i want to keep the factory Hoons new.

It's going to be picture heavy thread because I just like taking pics.:)

So welcome to my first build thread for my first Arrma.:coffee:

First pics are just with a couple of action cams mocked up, also to check what the field of view was like from both of them after recording. The front windscreen will be getting worked on to fit both front cameras, you'll only see the lenses once finished.

DSC01473.JPG

DSC01479.JPG

endgoalcontrol.png

DSC01515.JPG

Last edited:
Nice, looking forward to this. FPV is something I've been considering myself recently and, if you don't mind a couple of questions, I'm curious how you arrived at this setup.

The system I've been contemplating is something built around the Radiolink RC8X (which basically comes pre-loaded with a lot of what is needed to facilitate FPV) where, with the exception of maybe the rearward facing cam, you could achieve forward/left/right views with only one camera that you can control via head tracking.

I suspect the initial investment with the above configuration might be more expensive (though I don't know much at all about the pricing of items needed for FPV so I might be wildly off in one direction or the other) but there's less components and (to my limited understanding) seems less complicated.

What was your thought process going into this and how did you decide on this topography? Are these items that you already had available, is it a helluva lot less expensive, is there a particular set of features this will provide that something like what I described can't offer, etc.?

Lots of questions so get ready haha. what are you using for video tx? Is this a drone fpv style with goggles or will you be using a screen? Can't wait to see how this turns out, good luck.

Last edited:
Lots of questions so get ready haha. Are you going with digital or analog video transmission? And what are you using for video tx? Is this a drone fpv style with goggles or will you be using a screen? Can't wait to see how this turns out, good luck.
I have a hard time imagining doing this via screen. To me goggles seem the only way to go. If you're gonna be on board, you might as well be really immersed. I'd have to set up like a 20" monitor to feel like I could properly see what's going on and depth perception on a screen just seems like it would make everything feel totally detached from what I'm doing. Sort of like those deep sea ROVs, if you know what I mean.

I have a hard time imagining doing this via screen. To me goggles seem the only way to go. If you're gonna be on board, you might as well be really immersed. I'd have to set up like a 20" monitor to feel like I could properly see what's going on and depth perception on a screen just seems like it would make everything feel totally detached from what I'm doing. Sort of like those deep sea ROVs, if you know what I mean.

Agree with your assumption on depth perception on a screen.

I sure like watching drone footage following a surface vehicle ripping around though.

Nice, looking forward to this. FPV is something I've been considering myself recently and, if you don't mind a couple of questions, I'm curious how you arrived at this setup.
After flying fpv drones and recently fixed wing, i wanted a different system instead of analogue, so decided to try digital. Driving fpv is very addictive just as flying is.
The system I've been contemplating is something built around the Radiolink RC8X (which basically comes pre-loaded with a lot of what is needed to facilitate FPV) where, with the exception of maybe the rearward facing cam, you could achieve forward/left/right views with only one camera that you can control via head tracking.
Yeah that radio is awesome, love how their built towards fpv use.
I suspect the initial investment with the above configuration might be more expensive (though I don't know much at all about the pricing of items needed for FPV so I might be wildly off in one direction or the other) but there's less components and (to my limited understanding) seems less complicated.
It's certainly different, and more expensive than say a regular analogue VTX. Basically a mini computer running the display.
What was your thought process going into this and how did you decide on this topography? Are these items that you already had available, is it a helluva lot less expensive, is there a particular set of features this will provide that something like what I described can't offer, etc.?
For the fpv system i could have gone a few different routes, DJI was out of the question but i looked at most of the hd digital systems and decided on Ruby-https://rubyfpv.com/
I'll have a very clean fpv feed with good range. Sadly didn't have any of the items available to build it because it's all different.

It's a WIFI system so instead of having an antenna running from a vtx i have an antenna running from a network card which is run from the Pi.

Lots of questions so get ready haha. what are you using for video tx? Is this a drone fpv style with goggles or will you be using a screen? Can't wait to see how this turns out, good luck.
Ha awesome ask away! Video tx is the Raspberry Pi/wifi network card being run by the Ruby software.
Yep I'll be mostly using my goggles, i can plug my hdmi screen into the Ruby also. The goal is to be able to drive it from a simulator steering wheel.
I could drive it from home with the Ruby connected to a 40" tv if i wanted, but yeah goggles will be used the most for i love the immersion goggles give you. But my goggles have no audio output so I'll be playing the feed through the tv, etc.

ruby_basic_vehicle_wiring.jpg

ruby_basic_controller_wiring.jpg

This is what will be the system, the picture with the camera will be in the car, the other is for the ground station.

Last edited:
For the fpv system i could have gone a few different routes, DJI was out of the question but i looked at most of the hd digital systems and decided on Ruby-https://rubyfpv.com/
I'll have a very clean fpv feed with good range. Sadly didn't have any of the items available to build it because it's all different.

It's a WIFI system so instead of having an antenna running from a vtx i have an antenna running from a network card which is run from the Pi.

Ha awesome ask away! Video tx is the Raspberry Pi/wifi network card being run by the Ruby software.
Yep I'll be mostly using my goggles, i can plug my hdmi screen into the Ruby also. The goal is to be able to drive it from a simulator steering wheel.

I could drive it from home with the Ruby connected to a 40" tv if i wanted, but yeah goggles will be used the most for i love the immersion goggles give you. But my goggles have no audio output so I'll be playing the feed through the tv, etc.
This rubyfpv looks pretty dope. Now...correct me if I'm wrong but, that video at the top of the page, that's the video once you have the bird back at base correct? It's not that pristine when viewed through the goggles while you're flying, right? The goggle feeds I typically see have a fair bit more interference and artefacts. Or have they gotten that good?

And yeah...one of the few price tags I know for fpv gear are DJI goggles...I'm sure they're great n all but...a Cleveland? Holy balls man, that's rough.

This rubyfpv looks pretty dope. Now...correct me if I'm wrong but, that video at the top of the page, that's the video once you have the bird back at base correct? It's not that pristine when viewed through the goggles while you're flying, right? The goggle feeds I typically see have a fair bit more interference and artefacts. Or have they gotten that good?
The feed will be exactly as you see it pretty much, someone has flown really long range with this system, around 30-40km i think it was with perfect video. It's interesting to read how it does it.

The feed will be exactly as you see it pretty much, someone has flown really long range with this system, around 30-40km i think it was with perfect video. It's interesting to read how it does it.
And you would expect the image quality to be just as good for an earth bound vehicle? Or is there more chance for interference due to building and the like? Sorry for the game of 20 questions. I'll look into it further myself. Just trying to get a feel for some of the basics.

And you would expect the image quality to be just as good for an earth bound vehicle? Or is there more chance for interference due to building and the like? Sorry for the game of 20 questions. I'll look into it further myself. Just trying to get a feel for some of the basics.
That's a good question, but yeah i hope it to be very similar, it won't suffer from certain interference like analogue systems.
I hope it's going to be a good solid link, the first test will be really interesting.:)

That's a good question, but yeah i hope it to be very similar, it won't suffer from certain interference like analogue systems.
I hope it's going to be a good solid link, the first test will be really interesting.:)
Hell yeah man. I have to say, you've piqued my interest in FPV even more. It's not something I'll be doing anytime soonish but I definitely see a new area of technology I need to become better acquainted with. A new rabbit hole, as it were. :)

Hell yeah man. I have to say, you've piqued my interest in FPV even more. It's not something I'll be doing anytime soonish but I definitely see a new area of technology I need to become better acquainted with. A new rabbit hole, as it were. :)
Yeah it adds a new dimension to driving an rc car that's for sure.;)

Yeah it adds a new dimension to driving an rc car that's for sure.;)
Definitely. Especially if it looks...real, like that. Some of the drone goggle footage I've seen (I'm just going to assume it was old analog tech from what you described) that was rather glitchy, noisy with a fair bit of interference....kinda like back in the day when adjusting the bunny ears over the TV. That video is plush and luxurious by comparison. Much like when cable came to town. It's like the TV revolution all over again.

Last edited:
Not much to update, postal services have been really bad lately.

At least my network cards arrived today..i didn't expect them to be so large but they will give me the best video feed compared to all the others on the market so fingers crossed they perform flawlessly.

Higher gain antenna's are available for them but will see how these go first.

DSC01503.JPG

DSC01500.JPG

DSC01502.JPG

This is basically the ground station, just waiting for a micro to hdmi cable which will give me live video feed from the Infraction.
I'll be running another hdmi from the screen to my goggles also.
Just waiting for the other Pi and a few others things so i can then boot them both up.
Just need to make a mount for the network card and Raspberry Pi.
Should be able to test everything next weekend.:)

DSC01506.JPG

Replacement aftermarket tyres arrived from an ebay seller for the Infraction today so i thought I'd take a few comparison pics to show the differences between them and the Hoons.

They have a higher tyre wall than the hoons and are also slightly wider...anyone else running these?
Please let me know if you are.:)

They need to be glued but the rubber feels really good, they feel sticky compared to the Hoons.

Still waiting for the Vipaz tyres so got these until their ready.
Going to keep the Hoons, don't know why but just want to keep the factory set new and unused.

Hopefully the other Raspberry Pi which i need for the Infraction arrives this week, if it does and weather permitting i might get a chance to test everything this weekend.

Screenshot from 2023-05-08 14-46-27.png

DSC01507.JPG

DSC01508.JPG

DSC01509.JPG

DSC01510.JPG

DSC01511.JPG

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back