Easter day Speed Test

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cootertwo

Military Veteran
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hi all, did another speed run today. V3 Typhon 6S 29 tooth pinion, 34 tooth spur, spool setup. Stock motor, Max6 ESC. Seems and sounds like to me, that it's cutting power, half way through the run. 95 mph, same as last time when I had the ESC temp set to the lower setting. Raised it to the higher temp setting, and same results. Seems as if I read somewhere about the Max6 cutting power on speed runs???? Now trying to shoe horn a TP Power 4070/2700 in, but will have to use some spacers under the spool mounts, to gain clearance for the rear of the motor and suspension arm. I'm now realizing how valuable the monitoring feature that some Castle motors have would be. More to come.....

That's a bummer about the max6 cutting out. That's what I bought for my typhon. Was hoping to get above 100 mph with 30/34 gearing. Maybe a max5 would be a little better? I would have got the castle xlx like a lot of others but I didnt want to make a custom mount. Haven't had a chance to run yet. Waiting on my motor to come tomorrow. It's a tppower 4060 1950kv. Now I'm kinda bummed. It's too late to return the max6 I got. Went with the max6 cause I wasnt sure if the max5 would fit in the stock esc location.

I'm running HRB 5000mah 50C After those 4 or 5 runs back and forth yesterday, I checked my pack when I got home, and it was still showing 95% Don't be too bummed yet, as I'm not sure it's the ESC, just suspicious. Although after the 4th or 5th run, it did cut off, and required a restart to run again. At that point I called it quits. I'm going to try a different motor and see if there is a difference. Should have brought my temp meter, but didn't. Motor was fairly hot, but ESC didn't seem so much so. There's a lot to busting this 100mph thing!:geek:

@cootertwo motor temperature/heat is something I'm addressing now as the months are getting warmer.

Have you got a motor fan set up? Heat sink?
I've just bought some bits and pieces for mine to hopefully stop my motor from getting too hot as it did this weekend.

Yes, I had 2 yeah fans on the motor, with heat sink, but one burnt out. I was running them off a spar channel of the receiver, and have the Max6 BEC set to 7.2 volts. I have some better fans for the TP Power install, one I figure out how to cram it in the frame! Will probably wire in a separate BEC, i dunno, work in progress.

Finally got a chance to run my typhon today with a max6 and like you its cutting power halfway through a speed run. I'm running the max6 with a tppower 4060 1950kv motor and 34/34 gearing. First run I started on a smc 4s 7400mah to get a feel for it. Then i would bump to 6s after getting a feel for it. Just might have to go the castle xlx route. :mad:

Hhhmm wonder what's going on with these Hobbywing Max 6 ESC's then. :unsure:

Wonder if @phildogg has any experience with those and can help or maybe some of the other speed runners?.
Sorry I'm late guys. There is a reason we speed runners use castle esc. No other esc that i know of works as good as castle for speed runs. Hobbywing is good for drag I hear, but for speed the amp protection kicks in and cuts power. Its a safety that is built into the esc.

Looks like I'm gonna have a spare max6 for my kraton now. Lol
phildogg, would a monster x work for speed runs or is the xlx our only option? I don't really want to fab up a esc mount for the xlx to fit my typhon. I see amped rc out of Australia makes a mount plate for the xlx but its 32.00 usd plus whatever shipping is to the U.S.

phildogg, would a monster x work for speed runs or is the xlx our only option? I don't really want to fab up a esc mount for the xlx to fit my typhon. I see amped rc out of Australia makes a mount plate for the xlx but its 32.00 usd plus whatever shipping is to the U.S.
the mmx is a 1/8 esc and should work well unless you get too big on motor. the xlx is the answer. saga custom rc makes plates too here in the u.s.

That’s because manufacturing and things are expensive down here. You guys in the US have it pretty good

[QUOTE="Erstadw, post: 139967, member: 6324"
Sounds good. Im using a tppower 4060 1950kv motor. I guess I will just look for a xlx and be done with it. Thank you phildogg.
[/QUOTE]
well you may be ok with a mmx, i ran a 4070 2250kv on a mm2 at 138mph and the mm2 lasted for awhile but eventually died.

well you may be ok with a mmx, i ran a 4070 2250kv on a mm2 at 138mph and the mm2 lasted for awhile but eventually died.

Hi Phildogg, are the TP motors really that much better than the stock BLX 2050kv?

I'm thinking about buying a Talion but I'd like to achieve +80mph. I don't really want to spend too much money so would quite like to stick with the stock motor if possible (I've got a Yeah Racing heatsink to hopefully keep the motor cool).

I've also got a Hobbywing Max 8 esc with the extra capacitor bank soldered to it - do you think that would be capable? My lipo's are decent (Graphene 60C), if I upped the gearing provided the motor mount can handle it, and dialed down the punch on the esc, reckon I'd be able to hit 80?

Alternatively I could buy a bigger motor (cheaper than TP), but don't know how much clearance there is between the stock motor and the chassis...

Hi Phildogg, are the TP motors really that much better than the stock BLX 2050kv?

I'm thinking about buying a Talion but I'd like to achieve +80mph. I don't really want to spend too much money so would quite like to stick with the stock motor if possible (I've got a Yeah Racing heatsink to hopefully keep the motor cool).

I've also got a Hobbywing Max 8 esc with the extra capacitor bank soldered to it - do you think that would be capable? My lipo's are decent (Graphene 60C), if I upped the gearing provided the motor mount can handle it, and dialed down the punch on the esc, reckon I'd be able to hit 80?

Alternatively I could buy a bigger motor (cheaper than TP), but don't know how much clearance there is between the stock motor and the chassis...
Wouldn't say they are better, but there are different can sizes and lengths, and various kv's. Talion 80 mph easy brother. i would think only change i would make is a spool instead of center diff. i have been 123mph on a blx 2050 in a Typhon. 80 is no prob. yes max 8 should be ok just take your time pulling the throttle slowly and smoothly .

Just for future reference @phildogg so that I know I'm looking at the right ESC's as it is something I'd like to change in the future once I've surpassed what my current ESC/motor combo can handle.

MM2 = Castle Mamba Monster Max 2 ESC
Link: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/castle-mamba-monster-max-2-1-8-esc/rc-car-products/373556
MMX = Castle Mamba X sensored ESC
Link: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/castle-mamba-x-sensored-25-2v-wp-8a-peak-bec-esc/rc-car-products/407972
XLX = Castle Mamba XLX ESC
Link: https://www.modelsport.co.uk/castle-mamba-xlx-34v-esc-20amp-peak-bec/rc-car-products/394522

Thanks. (y)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back