Ec5s ok even if they arent tight?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumguy75

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion
  3. Typhon 6s
I soldered a new ec5 connector to my Max6. Plugged it in to a battery and it went together and came apart much easier than I'm used to. Worked fine powering things up. Just wondering if it will stay together while bashing or should I cut it off and try again?

If it feels loose you may want to replace. I personally prefer XT90 connectors. They are easy to solder and stay on pretty well. Maybe it’s just me but soldering the ec5 is a pain getting the bullet to seat back in the connector. ic5 are much better but too expensive for my liking.

The EC5 connector on the ESC side has slots in the metal terminals. Put in a hex driver lightly larger than the hole in the center in the terminal and press slightly to expand the terminals. This will make the connectors tight again.

If it feels loose you may want to replace. I personally prefer XT90 connectors. They are easy to solder and stay on pretty well. Maybe it’s just me but soldering the ec5 is a pain getting the bullet to seat back in the connector. ic5 are much better but too expensive for my liking.
I have soldered about a dozen ec5 without ruining one, I have destroyed so many xt90 connectors by melting them.

+1

XT90 and EC5 are both fine. I just prefer XT90's because they are easier to deal with and solder like @GraniteFox stated. I always felt that EC5 plastic is softer as well. I messed with EC5's and felt they were not worth the effort. Pressing in the barrels etc. I also find they cost a bit more sometimes FWIW. For contemporary Arrma vehicles these days, many feel it is convenient to stay with EC5's, because the Smart IC5's on their ESC's match up. Older Arrmas used XT90's and I stayed with them. I would solder XT90's to the newer Spektrum ESC's if I used them. I am all invested in XT90's anyway. With all my lipos for many years. Slowly upgrading to XT90-S's (anti-spark) for my new Lipos. Which are interchangable with standard XT90's.

>>> If your EC5 is too loose, first try spreading the male pins slightly with an Exacto blade.
That should work fine to get a snug connection when inserted into the bullet (female) ends. I bet this will work.(y)
I do this with my XT90's sometimes as they get old with use.

20220915_150609.jpg

Last edited:
The EC5 connector on the ESC side has slots in the metal terminals. Put in a hex driver lightly larger than the hole in the center in the terminal and press slightly to expand the terminals. This will make the connectors tight again.
That should work fine to get a snug connection when inserted into the bullet (female) ends. I bet this will work.(y)

Bingo, totally worked! Really firm hold now like all my others. This forum has saved me a lot of time with easy little fixes like this! 👍

I have soldered about a dozen ec5 without ruining one, I have destroyed so many xt90 connectors by melting them.
I have melted one in the beginning. Need very high temps and a quick soldering (use leaded solder only), few seconds to solder, no more and they won't melt. Use a solder Jig or mount it similar. Preparation is key and takes the longest time. Solder Flow Must always happen fast if done correctly. Adding some additional flux Paste makes for a quick joint also if your iron has lower temps. 750-800 F is best temps( temp regulated irons), using a Large blunt tip. Never use a small pencil tip!!! That works completely against you in all cases. Pretin connector and wires. Cut off any Pretinned wire ends if there, because they are usually Lead-Free tinned at the factory. Lead free always needs a higher temp iron and makes for a slower solder flow. So Lead free and leaded are not compatible. Many make this mistake. Usually when soldering Upgrade ESC's with included factory pre-tinned wires.
>>> But most importantly, always solder with both Male and Female connectors attatched. ( XT-90's/60's/30's) The bullets won't melt easily, and they stay aligned till they cool own.:cool:

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back