Kraton ESC issue on Kraton V3

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RoBo80, Thanks very much for your advice! I was able to identify the wrong part!

So my ESC was checked and returned good by ARRMA. But I still had the same issue: no steering, no throttle, ESC blinking red, and receiver blinking red as soon as I turned on the transmitter. No possibility to re-bind transmitter and receiver.

Since my son has a Granite Mega, I tried his receiver and transmitter in my car but it didn't work.

Then I tried an extra steering servo and everything returned to normal! So the part that has a default on my car is the steering servo. But instead of just creating a steering issue (as it happened once on the granite), the steering servo of the Kraton was creating all kinds of issues mentioned above.

Now I have to ask ARRMA to replace my stock steering servo that I will save as a spare, and I am going to buy a new servo since I've seen a lot of people having issues with their stock servo. Any advice?

Thanks!

Coopjag, that's great!

I went with the Savox sw 1210sg. I found it to be a bit taller than the stock ARRMA servo and it only just fits (with some wiggling). Its definitely pressed hard against the aluminium plate of the car so I'm hoping that doesn't damage it. I've tightened the springs on the shocks so they are more responsive and the aluminium plate doesn't hit the ground as much. Also, I had to carefully wind the servo cable around the plastic parts (could just go straight for the RX, I guess, as long as it doesn't touch anything moving). Then just make sure to switch the servo on first (to centre it) before attaching the horn (after the horn is hooked up to the steering) to ensure the steering is straight. After centering the servo, I just switched the car off and made sure not to move it. Once attached, I looked up how to adjust the steering range on the tactic TX (start it in prog mode then turn the steering wheel and use those user programmable little square buttons on the side), so the servo isn't over extending past the steering limits. I noticed the servo flexes the servo housing a bit when turning the wheels hard left or hard right. I don't know whether this flex is good or not. Maybe something will get damaged if I try to reinforce it, or if i don't. :confused:

I tried the new servo yesterday at a bmx park i hadn't tried before. The jumps at this park are ridiculously steep on one side of the park (entry side of each jump having curved concrete in front). I kept pushing the car until i lost sight and it landed down the bottom of an embankment (peak to bottom must have been 15ft) and the landing must have been full frontal on the right tire as the A-frame cracked in two places clean through and bent about 10mm apart :oops:. Had a heap of fun before then, though. This is why I stay on 4S.

But, luckily the sway bar joint was just missed so I was able to join it back together with rubber strengthened CA, reinforced with some seriously tight nylon fishing line in two directions. Looks neat and 'hardly noticeable'... (see attached)

Took it out today and no problems. I suspect it is stronger than before :)

If you go with a higher torque servo than this it might be worth investigating what the current requirements might be. I'd think the ESC internal 3A BEC would be sufficient, but I added a glitch buster capacitor as insurance (though, its pretty small). I notice people in some threads throw on a 10A SBEC straight away (I'm assuming the 'S' is switched, so it can handle the higher voltages).

Good luck!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back