ESC LiPoSpark HELP

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agd125

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I bought new kraton 6s exb rtr and i plugged fully charged gensacearespammers bashing pro 6s lipo 6800mah(brand new, not old) into esc and there was a small spark, on lipo EC5 connector i see two little black dots. Is this dangerous or what? how to avoid it? HELP

Was this the very 1st time you plugged a battery into the rig?

I'm no expert but maybe the capacitors were low & grabbed all that energy from the battery quick, to fill them up. I've had my rigs do that. I'll not turn on the ESC & leave it plugged in for 60 sec, un plug & reconnect the battery & it doesn't spark. And all works fine. The yellow EC5 Gens plugs are supposed to be anti spark type. You're probably ok to go bash my friend

I'm no expert but maybe the capacitors were low & grabbed all that energy from the battery quick, to fill them up. I've had my rigs do that. I'll not turn on the ESC & leave it plugged in for 60 sec, un plug & reconnect the battery & it doesn't spark. And all works fine. The yellow EC5 Gens plugs are supposed to be anti spark type. You're probably ok to go bash my friend
i will try it tomorrow and answer you as fast as possible

The spark is normal for the factory escs. The only way to avoid it is to swap out to an anti spark connector. Unfortunately they don't make anti spark Ic5s though.

Yeah, I plugged my new build in a few days ago to set end points and mine sparked. Had LHS solder two IC5's on a brand new HW quicrun 150a. My other rigs have the better E-Flite EC5's and haven't sparked once, so idk.

Yeah, I know, I'm a bad hobbyist for not soldering, but I have enough going on in my hobby room and have no financial room for any more crap right now.

Edit - Mine made an audible pop sound with an orange spark. I ignored it and figured it is whatever it wants to do, and I'll just run the snot out of it until it doesn't work. My Castle MMX with XT90's sparked and popped everytime upon connecting the 2nd 3s battery. Years later, it still works. 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
All of my 6s ESCs spark - one Castle MMX 8s, two Hobbywing Max8 G2s, one older Max8 V3, and two Corally Torox 185 (rebranded Hobbywing) - with either EC5 or XT90 connectors. They spark even when using 4s batteries. I've never noticed any damage from them sparking.

All of my 6s ESCs spark - one Castle MMX 8s, two Hobbywing Max8 G2s, one older Max8 V3, and two Corally Torox 185 (rebranded Hobbywing) - with either EC5 or XT90 connectors. I've never noticed any damage from them sparking.
but its spark every time when u connect lipo into ecs or only few times or what? And do u have any black dots form sparks inside lipo connectors?

but its spark every time when u connect lipo into ecs or only few times or what? And do u have any black dots form sparks inside lipo connectors?
Mine spark every time. I just checked several of my 4s and 6s batteries, and I don't have any black marks on either the battery connectors or on the ESC connectors. The connectors all look new inside, even the ones that are a couple of years old that have been used often.

on my 6s ec5 connectors i have already 2 black dots after sparks, on plastic and inside(metal). What should i do

theres even 3 black dots, whats that mean?

Attachments

• IMG_20240309_215621.jpg
    IMG_20240309_215621.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
These are my 3s batteries that I use on my BLX185 esc my other batteries run on a Max6. You can even see where the sparks are starting to eat away at the connectors.

1710019513986.jpeg

1710019526566.jpeg

on my 6s ec5 connectors i have already 2 black dots after sparks, on plastic and inside(metal). What should i do

theres even 3 black dots, whats that mean?
I don't think it is an issue unless the metal connector itself starts getting eroded. Even then, if it's still functional, it's up to you to decide if you need to change connectors. A possible solution is to go with anti-spark connectors on both the ESC and the batteries.

how long u have this and is this a big problem or maybe u have less mah or something?

I have had these batteries for a year but I am pretty sure they are like 3 or 4 years old at this point in time as they were used when I got them. Not a big problem like I said earlier it is completely normal, it is caused by the capacitors charging very rapidly. Those lipos are 7000mah.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/sho...hat-am-I-doing-wrong-battery-plug-is-sparking

https://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=23454

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...-connecting-2nd-battery-is-this-normal.35994/

when i plug lipo into turned off esc there is a little spark, i leave that for 60s, unplug and plug agin and on that second plug there wasnt any spark

when i plug lipo into turned off esc there is a little spark, i leave that for 60s, unplug and plug agin and on that second plug there wasnt any spark
Good deal. 👍

The caps are already charged so of course there is no spark the second time. Did you not watch that video I posted?

Back