Help a noob out

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Binmgus

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to the hobby and bought a rtr gorgon kit a couple days ago. It was cool for the first run with the included battery, but after the first charge with the s120 charger it came with, it wouldn't last as long. I checked the light on the esc and the manual says its the lvc. Though I'm pretty sure the esc's nimh mode doesn't trigger the lvc?

So would this be more of a battery issue?

Thank you

Invest in a Spektrum smart charger. You’ll be charging 6s lipos before you can say “RC car addiction!”

I bet you are getting poor run time now, because Nim packs have that dreaded "memory thing" going on.
Research what I am saying. Learn what that is. Look it up, to reverse this memory effect. Needs to be cycled a few times, from 1.2v /cell to full charge, how this works. A cheap charger with no display and C rate control, is usually not much help in this regard.
>>> Or just get into Lipo packs and charger. A different world of RC fun.(y)

I bet you are getting poor run time now, because Nim packs have that dreaded "memory thing" going on.
Research what I am saying. Learn what that is. Look it up, to reverse this memory effect. Needs to be cycled a few times, from 1.2v /cell to full charge, how this works. A cheap charger with no display and C rate control, is usually not much help in this regard.
>>> Or just get into Lipo packs and charger. A different world of RC fun.(y)
Might just jump to lipo, the videos I've seen makes the rc livelier

Hello, I'm new to the hobby and bought a rtr gorgon kit a couple days ago. It was cool for the first run with the included battery, but after the first charge with the s120 charger it came with, it wouldn't last as long. I checked the light on the esc and the manual says its the lvc. Though I'm pretty sure the esc's nimh mode doesn't trigger the lvc?

So would this be more of a battery issue?

Thank you
Look in the manual, the esc has the plug in the lipo setting. Switch it from lipo to nimh.
Now lvc will not kick in.

I bet the problem is your charger settings. Do you have it set to NiMH mode?
I don't believe you can charge a Nim with Lipo charge settings. The charger will not start its cycle. No bal lead connected will fail the charge cycle. Need balance lead volts to match the Mains lead voltage, or the charger wont start the charge cycle. A fail safe.
>>The ESC Should be in Nim mode by default. Unless the Jumper was intentionally moved. Jumpers don't move on their own to the next pin outs . But they can fall out altogether.

Last edited:
With QC issues, wouldn't be surprised if the nimh/lipo jumper was put in the wrong jumper pins🫣🤔😉
Kind of like the Blind leading the Blind😵🥴
Or is HH assuming all are going with lipo over nimh to start with?

I don't believe you can charge a Nim with Lipo charge settings. The charger will not start its cycle. No bal lead connected will fail the charge cycle.
My charger allows for it. A warning pops up and asks if you want to continue without the balance connector. Not that I’d ever do it though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back