Outcast EXB diff question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jordan10R

Rich Duperbash wannabe
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Notorious
  4. Talion
  5. Typhon 6s
Screenshot_20220128-135753.png

Does it matter if this goes in the front or rear. Is there a difference between the front and rear in the EXB diffs?

I run
20 front MAX LSD , 500k center open or if you have lsd center them 250k max, 7k MIN LSD rear. Perfect!

Based on how the LSD multiplies the fluid I can see how this would work...come close to something I am doing.

You will get the greatest benefit from adding LSD to the front, but the assembly will fit either side.
Thanks so this is open diff?

Just trying finger out why these kraton diffs are more money and the difference?

Screenshot_20220128-143252.png
I run
20 front MAX LSD , 500k center open or if you have lsd center them 250k max, 7k MIN LSD rear. Perfect!
Right and to get the max and min lsd is to just move the star shaped shims right?

@Monster Dork, makes sense.
I feel at the center only, an EXB LSD diff could also make for a nice driver.
I was thinking same thing I bought a EXB center diff. And was just going to change that and leave f/r v4 diffs. I really don't have problems with the regular open diffs. I will just on occasion break the big planetary shim.

Right and to get the max and min lsd is to just move the star shaped shims right?
Exactly! Have you seen the Arrma video on LSD diffs? They show you everything
I was thinking same thing I bought a EXB center diff. And was just going to change that and leave f/r be diffs. I really don't have problems with the regular open diffs. I will just on occasion break the big planetary shim.
I have been told the EXB diffs are a lot stronger now. I was watching a video and this guy was just straight up doing rolling backflips on the tarmac. I am happy I built my EXB with EXB diffs ground up

I have been told the EXB diffs are a lot stronger now. I was watching a video and this guy was just straight up doing rolling backflips on the tarmac. I am happy I built my EXB with EXB diffs ground up
No I haven't I only have the talion EXB all the others are v4 with open diffs so don't know much about EXB diffs. I did open them tho and changed fluids. I will have to watch this. Thanks

@Monster Dork, makes sense.
I feel at the center only, an EXB LSD diff could also make for a nice driver.

I run a LSD center (only) in my Typhon, it runs great.

Thanks so this is open diff?

Just trying finger out why these kraton diffs are more money and the difference?

View attachment 196027
Those have the same part number, so they are the same diff. Jenny's rear EXB Kraton diffs are shimmed to open or less effect, front diffs are full effect. You can make the full effects into less effects, but open EXB diffs will most likely have the shim kit installed instead of the LSD plates (Arrma did all of the above as the KEXB rolled out the first year). Best to buy full effect and re-stack the plates for less effect on the rear. Keep the full effect configuration for the front. Don't overdo it with your oil weights on EXB diffs. They work well with lighter oils than you're used to.

I was thinking same thing I bought a EXB center diff. And was just going to change that and leave f/r v4 diffs. I really don't have problems with the regular open diffs. I will just on occasion break the big planetary shim.
Me also, I prefer dialing in all 3 open diffs with oil. Seems easier. I'm good with it. LSD makes sense at the F/C as another alternative.
Advantage to LSD diffs overall, would only be the stronger F/R Main and Input gears. But I run 6s only and standard diffs have been fine for me.
But I like to experiment also. I find that using Mugen shim sets for the standard open diffs and proper filling of the diffs makes for a strong diff. And proper main gear shimming goes without saying.

Last edited:
I run a LSD center (only) in my Typhon, it runs great.

Those have the same part number, so they are the same diff. Jenny's rear EXB Kraton diffs are shimmed to open or less effect, front diffs are full effect. You can make the full effects into less effects, but open EXB diffs will most likely have the shim kit installed instead of the LSD plates (Arrma did all of the above as the KEXB rolled out the first year). Best to buy full effect and re-stack the plates for less effect on the rear. Keep the full effect configuration for the front. Don't overdo it with your oil weights on EXB diffs. They work well with lighter oils than you're used to.
Sweet thanks for the info and yea I have read that lighter oil for EXB diffs
Me also, I prefer dialing in all 3 open diffs with oil. Seems easier. I'm good with it. LSD makes sense at the F/C as another alternative.
Advantage to LSD diffs overall, would only be the stronger F/R Main and Input gears. But I run 6s only and standard diffs have been fine for me.
But I like to experiment also.
Yes exactly I got into hobby on the open diffs and learned to tune with oil. But like you said like to experiment 😜

Difference is how power is directed. Open diffs use viscosity to drive both axles with a tendency to "want" to turn the same speed. Excess power goes to heat and continues on the slipping wheel. LSD actually "clamps" the faster-turning axle, shunting power to the other. Excess goes to some heat, but dumps a lot of energy into turning the non-slipping axle. On the dirt, the effect is fairly transparent. I think the open diffs tend to be a little smoother, but the LSDs have much more forward propulsion in the scraggle surfaces.

Thank you for posting the video! Now I need to rebuild my diffs again, didn't realize the disc sides where different.

Thank you for posting the video! Now I need to rebuild my diffs again, didn't realize the disc sides where different.
I remember reading something about that on here. And when I changed my diff wights I tryed to see what they where talking about bout couldn't really tell so I'll have to do the same 😞

Difference is how power is directed. Open diffs use viscosity to drive both axles with a tendency to "want" to turn the same speed. Excess power goes to heat and continues on the slipping wheel. LSD actually "clamps" the faster-turning axle, shunting power to the other. Excess goes to some heat, but dumps a lot of energy into turning the non-slipping axle. On the dirt, the effect is fairly transparent. I think the open diffs tend to be a little smoother, but the LSDs have much more forward propulsion in the scraggle surfaces.
Agree. Much of that translates from 1:1 scale car diff technology.

From left to right, rear-center-front. The group on the left is an open-diff tune, and the group on the right is a LSD tune with less-effect or open rear. These setups handle similarly.
IMAG1311.jpg

I put the EXB LSD diffs in my Kraton about a month ago. I got them from Jenny's and mine were full effect front, full effect center, and minimal effect rear. I took them apart to check and top up fluids.

Not only do those have the LSD effect, the gear cut is also improved for durability (supposedly). I've been very happy with the upgrade.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back