Firma 160a sparking with burnt bullet

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exc3l

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast EXB
  2. Typhon 6s
Always something stupid happens with me. I was out jumping the outcast when I high a jump pretty fast and landed on tarmac. It was a good and flat landing but I got on the throttle and it started to cog.

First I thought it was the motor since I installed a clamp motor mount and had a feeling it was messing up the magnets inside.

Then I looked at the ESC and noticed sparks coming out whenever I hit the throttle. I took out the motor wire and it was warmer than the other 2. Loose solder connection on the pcb? I’ll open it up and check but here are some pics for now. Motor wire on the top is the one sparking.
image.jpg

IMG_2990.jpeg

Update: Okay recently I noticed the make and female bullet have a loose connection and is moving inside. I just spread the bullet out and it is a tighter fit. Will report back if helps or solves the problem.

Last edited:
Always something stupid happens with me. I was out jumping the outcast when I high a jump pretty fast and landed on tarmac. It was a good and flat landing but I got on the throttle and it started to cog.

First I thought it was the motor since I installed a clamp motor mount and had a feeling it was messing up the magnets inside.

Then I looked at the ESC and noticed sparks coming out whenever I hit the throttle. I took out the motor wire and it was warmer than the other 2. Loose solder connection on the pcb? I’ll open it up and check but here are some pics for now. Motor wire on the top is the one sparking. View attachment 334050
View attachment 334051
Update: Okay recently I noticed the make and female bullet have a loose connection and is moving inside. I just spread the bullet out and it is a tighter fit. Will report back if helps or solves the problem.
Yup. I've experienced that before. That male bullet needs to be replaced or cleaned out the best you can. I always check my bullets before I start. If they are loose, I grab the appropriate tool to open up the male bullet for a better connection. It has to be even all around though. I've ran rigs with loose bullets to the point that the bullet comes off the ESC board. I've learned through YT how to fix it , but you don't want to let it to that poinr. 👍. And yes, it's always something. Part of the RC game 😁

Yup. I've experienced that before. That male bullet needs to be replaced or cleaned out the best you can. I always check my bullets before I start. If they aewa loose, I grab the appropriate tool to open up the male bullet for a better connection. It has to be even all around though. I've ran rigs with loose bullets to the point that the bullet comes off the ESC board. I've learned through YT how to fix it , but you don't want to let it to that poinr. 👍
Cleaned it with a metal wire brush and seems to work okay now. I was so scared that the ESC was fried.

Nah, these things can take A LOT of abuse. Some of the abuse is unnecessary 😅
I saw RC dude 81 jumping the br6s 70+ft and even with bad landings it was taking the abuse. Thank god I didn’t burn up my ESC. I was going to buy a bigger motor so the funds would have been wasted. Thanks for your help.

I saw RC dude 81 jumping the br6s 70+ft and even with bad landings it was taking the abuse. Thank god I didn’t burn up my ESC. I was going to buy a bigger motor so the funds would have been wasted. Thanks for your help.
No worries, the rule of thumb is to check everything before you go bash : make sure you don't have loose screws, loose wheels, loose connectors, loose bullets. I even check things after I run my rigs since you sometimes have loose things or broken things after you are done 👍. Oh yeah, check your wheels if they need to be reglued and keep an eye out on your wheel bearings. Those love to seize up and make your electronics run hot, or even worse, blow up something in your electronics, usually your MOTOR 😫. Been there done that. Sorry for the long reply, but it's useful info. Carry on! 😂👍

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back