Spektrum 160a Esc Wont turn on

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArrmaK8

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi,
The esc wont turn on after trying out dual 3s batteries. But when i use the same type of batteries but its dual 4s it works.

It doesn't turn on when i try to drive it on 6s, but it will turn on if i drive it on 8s.

Have you balanced charged all you batteries and checked all cells if they are 4.2 volts?

Take a close look over all you ESC parameters. Try an ESC reset.... Sounds like a defective ESC otherwise. The ESC wont initialize and start if it sees an Under or Over volt condition. But should absolutely run on 6 cells, no issue.
This assuming you have good lipos with "Good" connectors.

Take a close look over all you ESC parameters. Try an ESC reset.... Sounds like a defective ESC otherwise. The ESC wont initialize and start if it sees an Under or Over volt condition. It should absolutely run on 6 cells, no issue.
This assuming you have good lipos with good connectors.
How should i do an esc reset. Cant find it on internet. Is spektrum program card worth it so i can firmware upgrade it?

The Smart Programmer is worth it. Any Brand ESC best to use their programmer. But you can do it manually with the Manual in hand. Using the "Set Button method". Yeah you need the Smart programmer to upgrade the F/W if yours is NOT up to date.
You do have the manual? Right? Should have went to the manual first before posting Here.
We are making the assumption you already have referred to the manual in regards.
Manual is also available for download on the Arrma site, if your dog ate it.(y)

The Smart Programmer is worth it. Any Brand ESC best to use their programmer. But you can do it manually with the Manual in hand. Using the "Set Button method". Yeah you need the Smart programmer to upgrade the F/W if yours is NOT up to date.
You do have the manual? Right? Should have went to the manual first before posting Here.
We are making the assumption you already have referred to the manual in regards.
Manual is also available for download on the Arrma site, if your dog ate it.(y)
I know i can program it with the set button, but i think to update it i must need the programbox, but can i use spektrum program box to connect hobbywing esc on my other car?
B
Take a close look over all you ESC parameters. Try an ESC reset.... Sounds like a defective ESC otherwise. The ESC wont initialize and start if it sees an Under or Over volt condition. But should absolutely run on 6 cells, no issue.
This assuming you have good lipos with "Good" connectors.
Btw how can i reset my esc?

Toss those Deans plugs. They are cheap junk. They are notorious for short connections and disconnections. And never use any Adapters at the ESC. Only ok for charging purposes.. Don't cheap out like that. Need to solder on the correct IC5 lipo connectors.
And I bet this is your main problem right there, Like @cazrack correctly stated.(y)

Last edited:
IC5 and EC5 connectors seem to work mix good together atleast for me.

XT90 to EC5/IC5 well maybe on 6S power, I melted together both connectors with ESC XT90 to 2 4S batteries EC5 on a run with 7000mah 80c Outcast 8s exb 800kv hobbywing Max5 39:39 hard/high speed amp draw.

Deans seem to have a rating of 60 amps, its to low to be safe with 6s and 8s under all circumstances, its just a bad idea on anything above 4S that draws massive amounts of amps like @SrC said.

Last edited:
It is odd the ESC works on 8S but not 6S, any pictures of the setup you can provide? And for sure ditch the deans out of that setup.

FYI, XT90 and EC5/IC5 are not compatible with each other, the barrel connector sizes are .5mm apart.

It is odd the ESC works on 8S but not 6S, any pictures of the setup you can provide? And for sure ditch the deans out of that setup.

FYI, XT90 and EC5/IC5 are not compatible with each other, the barrel connector sizes are .5mm apart.
Ill buy ec5 connectors today, to change them out. The esc is on a Traxxas E-Revo because i took it out if my kraton 8s to upgrade it too

somehow I had a hard time with fitting/soldering ec5 male connectors on my esc. It was easier with IC5 male connectors.

FYI, XT90 and EC5/IC5 are not compatible with each other, the barrel connector sizes are .5mm apart
Same problem with the new ec5 lipo connectors.
Toss those Deans plugs. They are cheap junk. They are notorious for short connections and disconnections. And never use any Adapters at the ESC. Only ok for charging purposes.. Don't cheap out like that. Need to solder on the correct IC5 lipo connectors.
And I bet this is your main problem right there, Like @cazrack correctly stated.(y)
I don't know what is wrong with it. I changed the connectors on the lipo to ec5.

IC5 and EC5 connectors seem to work mix good together atleast for me.

XT90 to EC5/IC5 well maybe on 6S power, I melted together both connectors with ESC XT90 to 2 4S batteries EC5 on a run with 7000mah 80c Outcast 8s exb 800kv hobbywing Max5 39:39 hard/high speed amp draw.

Deans seem to have a rating of 60 amps, its to low to be safe with 6s and 8s under all circumstances, its just a bad idea on anything above 4S that draws massive amounts of amps like @SrC said.
Not sure if I understood you.....>>>> Never plug EC/IC 5's with XT90's. They are NOT a match at all...... Looking for big trouble if you do.
>>>For charging purposes connecting to a charger, you may get away with that. Just never when running your rig. ESC and Lipo must have the Same Connector whatever they are , EC's or XT's
They look like a fit to each other. But surely are NOT!!:cool:
EC's and IC's are perfect match. Work together as intended.

Last edited:
Not sure if I understood you.....>>>> Never plug EC/IC 5's with XT90's. They are NOT a match at all...... Looking for big trouble if you do.
>>>For charging purposes connecting to a charger, you may get away with that. Just never when running your rig. ESC and Lipo must have the Same Connector whatever they are , EC's or XT's
They look like a fit to each other. But surely are NOT!!:cool:
EC's and IC's are perfect match. Work together as intended.
How do i do an esc reset?

Back