Help! One side of my QS8 connector looks burnt after fairly easy run…

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I_Am_Doug

Hold thy mead. I am on the cusp of making history.
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Kraton EXB
After a fairly tame bashing session in my backyard, I found that my QS8 connection felt fused together. The plug was ever so slightly crooked in the socket as well. When I separated them, it looks like the connection shorted or there was too much something going on.
Ia this something I should be worried about? Did I do something wrong?

For reference, this is a K8S with HW Max5 800kv combo. 1:1 gearing using SMC batts, 8800mah. Third run on the packs.

IMG_3238.jpeg
IMG_3237.jpeg

After a fairly tame bashing session in my backyard, I found that my QS8 connection felt fused together. The plug was ever so slightly crooked in the socket as well. When I separated them, it looks like the connection shorted or there was too much something going on.
Ia this something I should be worried about? Did I do something wrong?

For reference, this is a K8S with HW Max5 800kv combo. 1:1 gearing using SMC batts, 8800mah. Third run on the packs.

View attachment 354472View attachment 354473
Replace those connectors, get some new ones on then test battery to make sure it's OK and test the esc. It isn't so bad if it is the battery that caused an issue. I'm working off the assumption you know how to change connectors?

Quite familiar and I actually already decided to change them. I’m more attempting to find the root cause and I was hoping someone would have some insight. My personal theory is I had the connection in slightly crooked of not in fully.

I’ll run some tests tomorrow. Puzzled.

Quite familiar and I actually already decided to change them. I’m more attempting to find the root cause and I was hoping someone would have some insight. My personal theory is I had the connection in slightly crooked of not in fully.

I’ll run some tests tomorrow. Puzzled.
Yeah that's why I said to test battery and esc it could, be as simple as a bad plug loose connection on that side causing slight spark or bad solder job creating a slight spark perhaps. 🤔

I wonder if the anti-spark resistor failed? Would make sense seeing the damage on the secondary connector inside.

Third run seems to be the charm. The same thing happened to me today on the 3rd run with SMC batteries max5 800kv combo but I’m geared 37/39. Did you ever figure out what the cause was? My bullet prongs may have been set too small/loose creating a gap inside the connector.

I’m getting ready to replace my connectors on the esc and the battery and give it another go.

So, the only thing I can figure is I didn't have my plugs fully seated and during a nose landing, the plug itself cocked to the side and caused additional resistance within the connector. That, in turn, popped the resistor and caused a spark condition within the connector. I simply swapped this out for a new connector and all has been right as rain. (Also changed the ESC connector)

I tested the battery proper for any cell issues, passed, and did cycle a charge and then discharge to storage voltage in my BattSafe, then ran it in the K8S. I really do not feel this is an SMC problem in any way. Complete operator error and exuberant bashing.

Back