First test comparing SMC 4s pack vs CNHL 4s pack

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edough13

Bashing, Speed running and family!!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Mojave
  6. Notorious
  7. Typhon 6s
  8. Vorteks
So recently picked up some SMC DV Extreme 4s lipos for speed running and for bashing my 4s Granite. I usually run CNHL Racing Series packs but wanted to give SMC a try as they are popular as well. First test and comparison was some speed runs with the Limitless to get some data on voltage sag and overall top speed. First test shows CNHL out performing SMC by 1mph top speed and also less voltage sag by .4v. Now keep in mind this was also the very first cycle for the SMC pack so want to give it a few more cycles and compare again as lipos need a few cycles before they put out their full potential typically. Anyways here's the first video in the comparison series I'll be doing, hope this will be useful to someone out there👍

TY for that comparison. Nice video. Your pull durations seemed nice and sustained. A legit comparison. Like you stated, new packs need a few cycles into them for a more accurate evaluation. The logs don't lie. At least most of the time. :cool:

Thanks! Ya definitely want to give them a few cycles more and compare again and then once I start making 8s passes will also compare at 8s as well.

Here's the link for the packs I run, look around YouTube as some of the speed runners that run CNHL will have coupons for like 15% off which helps and also anything over $100 is free shipping👍 https://chinahobbyline.com/shop/detail/442

Really need the smc made for speed . I promise there would be no comparison.

According to the PF rating from SMC these are almost exact same rating as the V2 so should perform the same. At least according to SMC's own rating. I'd be happy to test some v2's if you want to donate some for the cause 😂

I'm not sure where you see a PF rating for the speed packs as they aren't even on the site anymore. I can tell you a 5200 135c pack is no comparison to the 6400 150c rated packs i ran. I tried chl and even my wore out smc produce more speed and power than the praised chl 6k packs. sorry i don't have any to send. I do however have a esr meter for lipos.

I was saying compared to the v2 packs on the website they are the same rating. I'm not doubting it I've watched you run for a long time. But the packs I picked up that are rated highly from SMC are not proving to be good or close to the CNHL packs I normally run. Not sure what a esr meter is or does?

Ok ya that could definitely come in handy for sure. Also not trying to disagree or argue as I know you have a lot more experience than I do but I've been running close to your numbers with my CNHL packs on almost same setup as well. For instance my best PB is 138mph with the open wheel Limitless running GP5 diffs and Hoons, 28/34 gearing MMX8S and TP 4060-cm 2080kv motor which is very close to your pass with the Infraction build series on very similar setup correct?

Phil/Edough, what 6s pack do you recommend for a stretched Typhon with Castle combo? Getting close to doing some test runs, but need to purchase a quality lipo to go with it.

Graphene Panther
CNHL
SMC

????

If you can find the packs Phil is talking about grab one as top guys run the SMC packs. I'd say second would be CNHL Racing Series 90c pack as it has put up great numbers for me.

Have you ever tried the Yowoo Graphene packs? I think K-Bash is running them. 🤷‍♂️
I have not but I've heard they do good. I've ran CNHL from the start and have had great results. Just got the SMC packs in the video but seem they are only a bashing pack and not going to put up good numbers speed running. I almost went with the yowoo packs but the SMC where cheaper and a lot more well known. Almost tempted to get some but really don't want 3 sets of 4s packs and they are more I believe than even the CNHL 4s packs I run. I want to try the graphines by SMC but no stock when I ordered and the DV extremes I got are rated the same or higher by SMC's PF rating as the v2 graphines but by tests they are clearly not a good speed run pack which sucks as if I'd known SMC's ratings where basically false I wouldn't have even bought the packs and went with Turnigy or maybe the yowoo.

Have you ever tried the Yowoo Graphene packs? I think K-Bash is running them. 🤷‍♂️
I use these for the most part exclusively. Yoowoo 2x 5k 100c Graphenes 3s). (For 6s speed runs (Lim/Infr.) They perform well and cosisitently. 30 plus runs into them and the IR's are consistent and stable. All 6 that I have. 👍 I feel they are on par with the Ace of Gens higher end packs at a slightly lower cost. I am not a "money is no object guy". So SMC never garnered my attention.
And I never compare a lipo packs C rate to another brands C#'s. Not the correct way to shop and compare Lipos. I never felt price was any indicator of a better lipo pack with the upper tier lipo's either. Lipo's can all be a mixed bag, IMHO. Better Batching and cell matching separates the men from the boys. And these production factors change over time. So what worked for me may not be great for you.

Last edited:
Ok ya that could definitely come in handy for sure. Also not trying to disagree or argue as I know you have a lot more experience than I do but I've been running close to your numbers with my CNHL packs on almost same setup as well. For instance my best PB is 138mph with the open wheel Limitless running GP5 diffs and Hoons, 28/34 gearing MMX8S and TP 4060-cm 2080kv motor which is very close to your pass with the Infraction build series on very similar setup correct?
I have never had a motor like that or even close. I used a stock motor, then switched to 1717. limitless open wheel I used a 4070 which is more comparable and ran 152mph(8s) 151mph (6s) and 164 gt car.
Phil/Edough, what 6s pack do you recommend for a stretched Typhon with Castle combo? Getting close to doing some test runs, but need to purchase a quality lipo to go with it.

Graphene Panther
CNHL
SMC

????
panthers are top notch packs, as are smc 150c packs. You can run fast on chl also at a lower price. Depends on how fast you want to go.

I have never had a motor like that or even close. I used a stock motor, then switched to 1717. limitless open wheel I used a 4070 which is more comparable and ran 152mph(8s) 151mph (6s) and 164 gt car.

panthers are top notch packs, as are smc 150c packs. You can run fast on chl also at a lower price. Depends on how fast you want to go.
That's right you did go to 1717 my bad. I haven't got a chance to run the 1717 on 8s yet as the one I got had a defective shaft that bent and grub dug into shaft about a mm deep. I know you ran a very similar setup with a TP and MMX8S as I remember asking you about good setup when I first started and you suggested to watch one of your vids with the TP and MMX8S. By estimate though 1717 with my setup should push low to mid 140's minimum running CNHL packs and just 28/34.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back