Castle 1650kv 4s vs 6s test

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Logan's_Rcs

Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone has done this test before, but I am currently interested in trying 4s in my tekno mt410 geared for approximately 55mph, vs 6s geared for approximately 55 mph, same motor.
One would suppose that running the 1650kv on 6s would make it run cooler, due to less amp draw, but I am unsure that this is the case. Previously, I had a 2200kv 1515 from Castle, and I ran it on both 4 and 5s geared for 57 mph, and the motor ran cooler on 4s than even though 5s would have less amp draw.

This makes me wonder if motor RPM is actually a huge factor in heat, larger than most people realize. Could it be possible that 1650kv is more of a 5s motor, and something like 1350/1400 is more of a 6s setup due to the rpm?

Thanks!

What are you doing with a little MT10 that requires that much amp draw to only go 55-60mph? If you’re going back and forth full throttle in grass/dirt track for 20minutes you’re going to have high system temps no matter what. There are ESC thermal protections for a reason, get adequate cooling to the motor if you don’t have a sensored system. My cans have run near 200F externally for entire bashes, rotor/stator materials have evolved…

In fact, e-motors are more efficient when heat sink temps are hot due to designed clearances within windings/magnet.

Last edited:
What are you doing with a little MT10 that requires that much amp draw to only go 55-60mph? If you’re going back and forth full throttle in grass/dirt track for 20minutes you’re going to have high system temps no matter what. There are ESC thermal protections for a reason, get adequate cooling to the motor if you don’t have a sensored system. My cans have run near 200F externally for entire bashes, rotor/stator materials have evolved…

In fact, e-motors are more efficient when heat sink temps are hot due to designed clearances within windings/magnet.
Yeah, I basically rip full throttle in grass for about 20 minutes. For most people this setup would be fine, but with my driving style, I'm always looking for a slightly more efficient setup.

I thought these charts were interesting on your other thread:

Post in thread 'What is the most efficient RPM for a brushless motor?' https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/...t-rpm-for-a-brushless-motor.53903/post-777570

It would seem if your are running the motor at its most efficient RPM's (to match the RC's speed you are trying to achieve) you would probably see less heat and power consumed.

The answer though isn't that simple since the torque and other characteristics of the motor changes at different RPM.

Last edited:
6S in a Tekno? It'll run fine for a bit then it'll start making a grinding sounds and come to a stop. My ET lasted about 10 minutes before it came to a stop.

6S in a Tekno? It'll run fine for a bit then it'll start making a grinding sounds and come to a stop. My ET lasted about 10 minutes before it came to a stop.
I've beefed up the drivetrain, it actually takes 6s power quite well

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back