Limitless v2 cap pack

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nah. XLX2 doesn’t need it.

If you want to be cautious, watch the ripple voltage in your data log. If it surpasses 10% total voltage (which it probably won’t), then add a cap pack.
So the esc has a sensor wire tp motor doesn’t have a sensor plug will that affect performance. I’m not a dedicated speed run guy. I just want to bash a lil bit and race my buddies 8s infraction.

So the esc has a sensor wire tp motor doesn’t have a sensor plug will that affect performance. I’m not a dedicated speed run guy. I just want to bash a lil bit and race my buddies 8s infraction.
There are two benefits of running a sensored motor, IMO. The first is that you get smoother throttle delivery at low speeds (no cogging). The second is that you can automate temperature controls - have the ESC turn off the system if the motor temp gets too high.

But plenty of people run without a sensored motor and have no problems. It’s nice but not necessary.

That motor kv might be too high for 8S bashing. Why are you only going to run 8S?

There are two benefits of running a sensored motor, IMO. The first is that you get smoother throttle delivery at low speeds (no cogging). The second is that you can automate temperature controls - have the ESC turn off the system if the motor temp gets too high.

But plenty of people run without a sensored motor and have no problems. It’s nice but not necessary.

That motor kv might be too high for 8S bashing. Why are you only going to run 8S?
I already have a 6s infraction and wanted to go a lil faster with 8s but I could run the v2 limitless on 6s also. My infraction is stock 6s and I haven’t used the high speed gearing I’ve only ran it a few 3 times. With the 8s probably only run straight lines and bash w the infraction. Would the 2200kv be too much because being on and off the throttle?

Would the 2200kv be too much because being on and off the throttle?
No motor would be happy spending much time at 70K RPM.

That motor on 8S is a great choice for speed runs. Run, cool down, run, cool down, etc. But it may overheat in a hurry if you bash with it.

I would either get a different motor or plan to bash that setup on 6S.

@Moirae thoughts here? I’m no TP expert.

I actually have that 2200kv cm motor in a stretched typhon with an mmx8s. It runs good in there but it's a stretched typhon so it has waaaaaaaaay better airflow over the motor can and I only run it on 6s. Tbh I wouldn't put the tp 4070 cm 2200kv in a v2 limitless if my objective was to mess around racing my friend and bashing. I'd go for a lower KV coke can motor but then you have to buy this

https://www.arrma-rc.com/de/product/sliding-motor-mount-plate-56-series-red/ARA320722.html

to use it.

I'd go for something like this if I wanted to 8s a limitless v2.

https://www.tppowerusa.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20_71_145&product_id=305

or

https://www.tppowerusa.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20_71_145&product_id=431

I actually have that 2200kv cm motor in a stretched typhon with an mmx8s. It runs good in there but it's a stretched typhon so it has waaaaaaaaay better airflow over the motor can and I only run it on 6s. Tbh I wouldn't put the tp 4070 cm 2200kv in a v2 limitless if my objective was to mess around racing my friend and bashing. I'd go for a lower KV coke can motor but then you have to buy this

https://www.arrma-rc.com/de/product/sliding-motor-mount-plate-56-series-red/ARA320722.html

to use it.

I'd go for something like this if I wanted to 8s a limitless v2.

https://www.tppowerusa.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20_71_145&product_id=305

or

https://www.tppowerusa.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20_71_145&product_id=431
Yes on 8s it would probably heat up and having fans on it would be a lil challenging because of the limited space. You think with a body modification it could allow fans to be installed? But on 6s you’re saying that it could be ok on 6s. What speeds you think I could hit w the set up I currently have. I really want something 8s to drive mainly a few times a month. This would be my first speed runner so I’m trying to figure it out. Maybe not gear up so high. What do you think. I’ll definitely do some more research on the motors you added on those links thanks a lot I appreciate you guys not withholding tips.

Yes on 8s it would probably heat up and having fans on it would be a lil challenging because of the limited space. You think with a body modification it could allow fans to be installed?
There’s plenty of space for fans. But fans only help a little, not a lot. Proper kv and gearing are the primary ways to control temps.

There’s plenty of space for fans. But fans only help a little, not a lot. Proper kv and gearing are the primary ways to control temps.
Or a big ass low kv motor with some nice fans! :ROFLMAO:
Yes on 8s it would probably heat up and having fans on it would be a lil challenging because of the limited space. You think with a body modification it could allow fans to be installed? But on 6s you’re saying that it could be ok on 6s. What speeds you think I could hit w the set up I currently have. I really want something 8s to drive mainly a few times a month. This would be my first speed runner so I’m trying to figure it out. Maybe not gear up so high. What do you think. I’ll definitely do some more research on the motors you added on those links thanks a lot I appreciate you guys not withholding tips.
You have to decide if you're more serious about speed running or bashing. I mean I believe you can do both with the same rig but it will be jack of all trades and master of none. If you're serious about speed running I'd go with the 2200kv tp motor but if you want to do both then 100% go with the big block low kv. You can still gear it up to reach some nice speeds and it will handle bashing a helluva lot better. Fans won't be a problem fitting without mods either.

This is my limitless v1 with a tp 5860 1150kv iirc. I show the inside within the first 60 seconds of the video so you can see how messy it is in there and how much space you actually have to work with. With the motor I have in that limitless I can gear for 85 mph and bash without worrying about temps.

Last edited:

+1
With speed running, Sensored control is bypassed at aprox. 1/2 to full throttle anyway. No performance disadvantage either way you go.
With Track running Sensored is the preferred choice. For Best throttle modulation and control for navigating a technical confined track.
I always upgrade to Sensored electrics (motor and ESC) when my Stocker RTR stuff is done. No matter the rig.
I got spoiled with full sensored electrics.

Hey thanks I was planning on running stock
+1
With speed running, Sensored control is bypassed at aprox. 1/2 to full throttle anyway. No performance disadvantage either way you go.
With Track running Sensored is the preferred choice. For Best throttle modulation and control for navigating a technical confined track.
I always upgrade to Sensored electrics (motor and ESC) when my Stocker RTR stuff is done. No matter the rig.
I got spoiled with full sensored electrics.
that makes a lot of sense on sensored and sensorless set ups I guess the sensored set up for speed runners does go out the window when not going from zero to top speed like a dragster. It’s like a distance runner long enough stretch to gradually build speed

You have to decide if you're more serious about speed running or bashing. I mean I believe you can do both with the same rig but it will be jack of all trades and master of none. If you're serious about speed running I'd go with the 2200kv tp motor but if you want to do both then 100% go with the big block low kv. You can still gear it up to reach some nice speeds and it will handle bashing a helluva lot better. Fans won't be a problem fitting without mods either.

This is my limitless v1 with a tp 5860 1150kv iirc. I show the inside within the first 60 seconds of the video so you can see how messy it is in there and how much space you actually have to work with. With the motor I have in that limitless I can gear for 85 mph and bash without worrying about temps.
Where is the video I’d love to see the setup. My tp motor has short leeds it might not reach to the esc do I just get some wire and add some pieces so it’s long enough

Hey thanks I was planning on running stock

that makes a lot of sense on sensored and sensorless set ups I guess the sensored set up for speed runners does go out the window when not going from zero to top speed like a dragster. It’s like a distance runner long enough stretch to gradually build speed

Where is the video I’d love to see the setup. My tp motor has short leeds it might not reach to the esc do I just get some wire and add some pieces so it’s long enough
I'm lazy and use these instead of making my own.

https://www.radiocontrolpower.com/product-page/8mm-male-to-8mm-female-motor-wire-extension

I see nothing lazy about that, those are perfect for me. Adding these wires, does it create more resistance causing heat build up and eventually a fire or something. Also would you shrink wrap them or just leave them bare?
it doesn't matter. I have to use extensions in almost every single rig I have because I have tp motors in most of my rigs. I've never had a single problem, especially in an on road rig. In a basher I use heat shrink over the bullets to help secure them from coming unplugged in hard bashes.

it doesn't matter. I have to use extensions in almost every single rig I have because I have tp motors in most of my rigs. I've never had a single problem, especially in an on road rig. In a basher I use heat shrink over the bullets to help secure them from coming unplugged in hard bashes.
Thanks I was looking for specifically these that you posted. You are right on bashers they must be secured I will go ahead and purchase these and start building only left is to get a servo and I’ll be done. Another thing I will possibly have to do is modify the esc tray or get a center brace w esc mount. Installing the esc on the esc/servo tray causes the body to not sit a lil higher on the esc side causing a small gap between the body and chasis. Did you have to do any mods to that part to allow the body to sit flush?
Word on the street is that for 8s use putting the ESC at its limits a cap pack can be helpful to extend the life of the ESC.
I’ve also been looking into that. Some say it’s not needed some say it’s needed. Who’s right and who’s wrong and why?

Sick job bro. That’s a huge motor. I’m guessing the motor being on one side and batteries on the other they kinda even out the weight distribution so it’s not heavier on one side. I can definitely hear that sucker smash. And you’re probably not even going 1/2 throttle.

Last edited:
To ask how many, I think the more caps the merrier. Or at least it will never hurt you.
The ESC already has them. Yet many ESC's incorporate additional packs? Most Spektrums ESC's and some CC and HW are this way.
I see many who run the XLX2's, show ripple data to be so extremely low, almost negligeable without any Cap pack. If you keep Ripple below 10% of the packs total voltage, lower the better, you are good. Need to check ripple data to know for sure.
ESC Ripple and Cap packs seem to be a dark subject. One can debate forever.
I only have 2 cap packs for my on road stuff. Running 6s. I make my own packs. And with HW sensored electrics. I think the correct grade and type of capacitors make all the difference. And how close you solder the leads to the ESC mains wires. Otherwise the packs do little for you. And only CC Ripple data can show this.
:cool:

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back