FlySky FS-GT5 setup question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LipoShirly

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite Grom
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
  4. Voltage
Just picked up and installed a FlySky FS-GT5 radio, one of the displays is the graph of the 5 channels output status. For instance in this display I can see the steering offset , left or right, and also see the as I move the steering control left or right , the graph display moves from that offset point to the 100%. All 5 channels display correctly , except the throttle and brake control. I only get about 50% in either direction of the graph.... I have done the STK calibration numerous times, also checked the EPA settings for the throttle and brake, they are both at 100%. Is there another setting I'm not seeing that controls this?

I think that is correct for the Throttle channel. 50/50.
A long as you Calibrated the ESC to the radio correctly, you are good to go. You should have the maximum Throttle endpoints. Max power.
Maybe I misunderstood your question??
My spin.

Maybe I misunderstood your question??
Nope, that was the question. And yep, calibrated the ESC, I seem to be getting full speeds but confused by the 50/50 display. Is there a reason for that?

Also, in my search for an answer I landed on a YouTube vid that seemed to display 100/100 .... at about the 1:50 mark

Hmmm, I saw that. :unsure:
Is your motor setup in Reverse perhaps and during Tx/ESC calib., it was restricted to 50/50?????
Wierd..... I don't have this Radio. Have the FlySky NB4 however. And yes it is 100/100. Just checked. But it automatically sets the 100% throttle endpoints when calibrated. Look over the menus GUI to see if you can alter it manually???
I assumed yours did the same as many radios do, just at 50/50 is questionable.. Can you check for a F/W update revision??? Maybe it was updated and yours is not current?:unsure:
There are many guys here with that radio. Its a nice radio that many like.
Hopefully they chime in.
Good luck.

Last edited:
The radio is being used with a sensored ESC / motor combo from Hobbywing... and yes the motor did run backwards at first , so as per the directions, rather than switching motor leads, I reversed it with the radio. I'll have to re-visit the Tx/ESC calibration, but I think its correct as well.

rather than switching motor leads, I reversed it with the radio.
This is the issue. Basically, you switched the direction of the trigger, but not the motor/ESC. So when you are doing a full pull, the ESC thinks you are in full reverse still.

Switch the motor rotation in the ESC programming, then reverse the throttle back to normal on the transmitter, and do your endpoints and calibrations again.

The radio is being used with a sensored ESC / motor combo from Hobbywing... and yes the motor did run backwards at first , so as per the directions, rather than switching motor leads, I reversed it with the radio. I'll have to re-visit the Tx/ESC calibration, but I think its correct as well.
For a sensored system, it's best to set the motor direction first in the ESC, then change the throttle direction on the radio if necessary. If you don't do that, you might see the results that you are seeing. I had that issue a couple of times, and the solution was changing motor direction in the ESC with a programming card.

Switch the motor rotation in the ESC programming

Sorry, mis-spoke earlier, I did change the direction in the ESC. I now remember changing motor rotation from CCW to CW with the programming card, 4-1 to 4-2. It was the steering I reversed on the radio, my bad. Headed out to play 9 holes, I'll "start over" again tonight

Sorry, mis-spoke earlier, I did change the direction in the ESC. I now remember changing motor rotation from CCW to CW with the programming card, 4-1 to 4-2. It was the steering I reversed on the radio, my bad. Headed out to play 9 holes, I'll "start over" again tonight
Gotcha. It still sounds like you have reverse rotation set on the ESC relative to the radio. I know this sounds wonky, but reverse both the radio throttle channel and motor rotation on the ESC again.

Reversing the ESC will get you full travel in the forward direction, but it'll be with backwards trigger input. Reversing the radio afterwards will keep the correct motor rotation, and correct the trigger throw to the correct direction.

Then calibrate again.

It's a good idea to walk away from it and pick it up later: you are less likely to make a mistake with a refreshed mind.

Ok. its working but I'm still not sure what was going on....
I first tried changing the direction of motor on both ESC and radio, and then recalibrated both the ESC and radio. The radio still displayed 50/50 when using throttle for forward or reverse. So I went ahead and did a factory reset on radio. The throttle display now is 100/100... motor ran backwards so I used the ESC to fix that, recal both the ESC and radio, and everything seems correct now.... and its now definitely faster in the forward direction.

Reversing the ESC will get you full travel in the forward direction, but it'll be with backwards trigger input. Reversing the radio afterwards will keep the correct motor rotation, and correct the trigger throw to the correct direction.
This made no sense when I read it, but was exactly what happened when I reversed everything.... thanks for your help.

It's a good idea to walk away from it and pick it up later
I'm going to have to try this with my golf game.....

I'm glad it all worked out for you. The first time I had to do that I must have spent over an hour trying to figure it out on a Castle system before I realized I had to acquire the Castle Link to change the motor direction in the ESC. The four-day wait for the programmer to arrive allowed me time to think everything out, and once the programmer arrived it all fell into place on the first try.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back