Talion For my Custom Talion build.. Motor / esc combo question..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLspeeddragon

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
  2. Talion EXB
For those who don't already know, I am doing a Talion 4-6S Off Road backyard track racer build. (not pro-comp, super basher, or ROAR approved)
I've been on the search for Motor / ESC 2-6S combo, not wanting to spend over $300, but with alot of great features..
I have found this on Aliexpress and It looks like a damn good serious setup for under $250.
I have spent a few days watching vids and reading reviews on this brand from many sources, Been all good / great reviews..

So...
I'm wondering if I should go with the 1950KV or 2150KV combo..

Before you say it.. Yes I have bought plenty of times from Aliexpress and everything I have received was either on time or earlier then ship date and never damaged.
So check this out and let me know what you think?
ZTW 32-Bit Beast PRO G2 150A ESC Turbo 2-6S 6V/7.4V BEC 6A Brushless Sensored Motor 4269 For 1/8th RC Car Truck Buggy Monster

I’d recommend anything hobbywing.
(8bl160 if ur wanting cheapest) MAX8 seems like a good deal.

For those who don't already know, I am doing a Talion 4-6S Off Road backyard track racer build. (not pro-comp, super basher, or ROAR approved)
I've been on the search for Motor / ESC 2-6S combo, not wanting to spend over $300, but with alot of great features..
I have found this on Aliexpress and It looks like a damn good serious setup for under $250.
I have spent a few days watching vids and reading reviews on this brand from many sources, Been all good / great reviews..

So...

Before you say it.. Yes I have bought plenty of times from Aliexpress and everything I have received was either on time or earlier then ship date and never damaged.
ZTW 32-Bit Beast PRO G2 150A ESC Turbo 2-6S 6V/7.4V BEC 6A Brushless Sensored Motor 4269 For 1/8th RC Car Truck Buggy Monster
That things pricey if you want motor/ESC 240$ is a lot to spend on some no-name china thing

I’d recommend anything hobbywing.
(8bl160 if ur wanting cheapest) MAX8 seems like a good deal.
agreed, however when you want to get into the deeper settings and fine tuning the price on the Hobbywing setups go through the roof pretty quickly. Hence why I found that ZTW and it's extremely comparable to the New Hobbywing XR8 Plus G2 series but a fair amount cheaper..
And the nice little extra feature that ZTW combo has.. Built in Bluetooth in the ESC for instant phone app connection and fast programming...

So...

When you click over to the combo that is including the motor its $234 and the HW Max 8 G2 is $249. I'd probably trust HW first just due to their reputation.
The new G2 sensored setups are very nice. I love the bluetooth app also for pulling up motor and ESC temps and easy to adjust the ESC settings.

1710179387351.png

agreed, however when you want to get into the deeper settings and fine tuning the price on the Hobbywing setups go through the roof pretty quickly. Hence why I found that ZTW and it's extremely comparable to the New Hobbywing XR8 Plus G2 series but a fair amount cheaper..
And the nice little extra feature that ZTW combo has.. Built in Bluetooth in the ESC for instant phone app connection and fast programming...
I don't think there's really much else to buy besides the Max8 combo? I mean yes, they do sell a program card, but aside from software updates, no need for it. BT built in, download the HW app and adjust from your phone. Easy peasy.
Also, as others have mentioned, $124 is just the esc. The combo is $234, which is MORE than the Max8 combo. Use coupon exocagedrc for 10% off, or $225. Tax free, free shipping.. winner winner!!👍😎😁

FWIW, I would go long can (4274,4278) vs short can buggy (4268,4269) motor with the Talion, it's a relatively heavy rc for a buggy motor. It'll run, but likely hot.

Last edited:
I don't think there's really much else to buy besides the Max8 combo? I mean yes, they do sell a program card, but aside from software updates, no need for it. BT built in, download the HW app and adjust from your phone. Easy peasy.
Also, as others have mentioned, $124 is just the esc. The combo is $234, which is MORE than the Max8 combo. Use coupon exocagedrc for 10% off, or $225. Tax free, free shipping.. winner winner!!👍😎😁

FWIW, I would go long can (4274,4278) vs short can buggy (4268,4269) motor with the Talion, it's a relatively heavy rc for a buggy motor. It'll run, but likely hot.
Sadly only the max 6 g2 has built in bluetooth. I was very salty they didn't think to add that to the 450$ max 4 lol.

For heat management it may be wise to run a Max6 G2 and then get the motor you want to match it.

That would be nice if they offered the G2 Max6 with other 1/8 scale motor options.
The Max8 can't handle a Talion for backyard racing?

Sadly only the max 6 g2 has built in bluetooth. I was very salty they didn't think to add that to the 450$ max 4 lol.
Ya man that is crazy. It seems like all the new models should have it.

I am sure it can, but if the Max6 runs cooler, does not weigh much more and offers the Bluetooth were the others do not..... might be worth it.

I'm with ya. I know it would be fine for me since I've had no problems from any of my 6s esc's.

@LibertyMKiii and @Moirae make good points though, higher capacity and BT connectivity with not much bigger footprint.

OK, You guys got me convinced with the Max8 Combo.. and it's waterproof compared to the ZTW.
And thank you for the promocode as well to take the price down a notch :)

I'm with ya. I know it would be fine for me since I've had no problems from any of my 6s esc's.

@LibertyMKiii and @Moirae make good points though, higher capacity and BT connectivity with not much bigger footprint.
True, However the Max 6 doesn't come with pre-soldered connections.. I don't have a soldering set, no close LHS's either to get it done.. It's a great set and I'll be primarily running 4S most of the time. Occasionally 6S just for kicks.

Agreed, I'll go with the 4278 for sure.. More I think about it from racing a few years ago.. the truggy class KV specs were 2000-2200KV. so it makes sense to go with that..

And I just sent HW a contact message asking if they would swapout the default XT-90's with EC-5 when / If I order it shortly.. Hoping for a fast response from them before I hit the buy button.

OK, You guys got me convinced with the Max8 Combo.. and it's waterproof compared to the ZTW.

True, However the Max 6 doesn't come with pre-soldered connections.. I don't have a soldering set, no close LHS's either to get it done.. It's a great set and I'll be primarily running 4S most of the time. Occasionally 6S just for kicks.
None of these esc come with pre soldered battery connectors but all of hw combos come with pre soldered motor wires. If you don't want to solder you should order from here

https://www.radiocontrolpower.com/hobbywing-esc

You can get battery connectors pre soldered when you order esc's from them. They have a drop down box where you can pick whatever connector you want.

None of these esc come with pre soldered battery connectors but all of hw combos come with pre soldered motor wires. If you don't want to solder you should order from here

You can get battery connectors pre soldered when you order esc's from them. They have a drop down box where you can pick whatever connector you want.
hmmmm.. Well then that kind of defeats the purpose... I'll post up on the local FB Group and see if there's anyone local to do the soldering.. Otherwise, I'm spending more then I would prefer too.. I'm on a budget so I'm limited to what I got to cha-ching with..

What are you using for connectors currently? The Max8 combo I linked above has XT-90's on the esc, bullets on the motor I believe.

Actually it states at the bottom in the details of that combo via HW.. It comes with XT-90's

ScreenShot_20240311152544.png

What are you using for connectors currently? The Max8 combo I linked above has XT-90's on the esc, bullets on the motor I believe.
I use EC-5's.. So I sent them a message via the Contact us page to see if they could swap them out for the EC-5's.

Back