Free-ish steering upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Granite
  3. Granite Mega
  4. Infraction
  5. Mojave EXB
  6. Nero
  7. Notorious
  8. Typhon 3s
I figured this out while rebuilding my Granite. There was play in the ackerman arm. As I had already changed the bearings in the diff I noticed that the screw and flange fit perfectly inside the diffs internal 5x8 bearing.

So I drilled out the arm with a 5/16 step drill and pressed in the old (but still good bearings). Now there's no play and it turns smooth.

Probably won't notice any different while driving since there is play everywhere, but for a free mod I'd rather remove slop wherever possible.
IMG_20220116_230840~2.jpg

After drilling 5/16 just the depth of the bearings (not through).
IMG_20220116_230956.jpg

After bearing pressed in.
IMG_20220116_231106.jpg

Nice mod! I like your idea. Awhile back I got several new stock steering yoke assemblies, servo saver included, for $3/each on Jenny’s, and a few s652 servos for $15/each each. I swap them out every few months or when things get rough. But I may try your idea for fun.

Probably won't notice any different while driving since there is play everywhere, but for a free mod I'd rather remove slop wherever possible.

Actually, I've found removing slop at those points in the Ackermann is one of the best ways to eliminate steering wobble in the 3s line (along with shimming the steering posts and upgrading/removing slop in the servo link). I just added shims, but a bearing should be even better.

Actually, I've found removing slop at those points in the Ackermann is one of the best ways to eliminate steering wobble in the 3s line (along with shimming the steering posts and upgrading/removing slop in the servo link). I just added shims, but a bearing should be even better.
Where do you add shims?

Where do you add shims?
PhillyB_RC made a good video. You may not need the Ackermann shims since you used bearings. Note: His instructions on shimming the steering posts and Ackermann are excellent, but I think his servo link solution is temporary. The plastic servo link wears down quickly. I use the red aluminum link provided here (I don't use the servo saver, only the red link) https://www.amazon.com/Hot-Racing-A...id=1643516336&sprefix=atf48sh02,aps,43&sr=8-2

So I did the mod again on my new Typhon. Only difference is I tried putting the bearing on the topside this time.
IMG_20220319_164232~2.jpg

Attached a video showing the comparison with and without the bearing. Almost zero pl now.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back