Kraton FYI - Kraton V3 RPM / T-BONE front bumpers don't fit

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KratonSpren

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I want to preface this by saying I emailed tbone racing before ordering their bumpers and they weren't 100% positive this stuff would fit the V3 kraton, i volunteered to be a guinea pig, and they have been absolutely great to work with.

So before I even took her out for a preliminary bash I went to bolt up my bumpers... rear fits perfectly, but the tweaks to the front end of the V3 kraton prevent the front bumper from mounting correctly.

The thrasher front bumper mounts to the underside of the chassis, and then uses a support brace to run from the vertical edge of the bumper back to the car. The chassis mounts fit perfect, but that brace is going to need some redesign for the V3.

Anyway if you're getting a kraton for the holidays, use some extra care, the redesigned front bumper from arrma is pretty strong, but does not protect the suspension arms...from say a fence post.... ask me how I know...

I noticed this on my recent v3 with the RPM front bumper.

The issue is the new v3 stock bumper bolts under the chassis onto the front of the gearbox housing - I simply removed the stock bumper, ground out the edge that went under the chassis - re-attached it so it slid into place between the chassis and was a straight edge, and then attached the RPM fron't bumper.

Certainly not simply bolt-on but also not huge trouble to resolve and also keep the stock bumper to hold the suspension hangars / hingepin holder in place.

The issue is the new v3 stock bumper bolts under the chassis onto the front of the gearbox housing - I simply removed the stock bumper, ground out the edge that went under the chassis - re-attached it so it slid into place between the chassis and was a straight edge, and then attached the RPM fron't bumper.

That sounds like a good way to resolve it! Mind posting a pic?

I simply removed the stock bumper, ground out the edge that went under the chassis - re-attached it so it slid into place between the chassis and was a straight edge, and then attached the RPM front bumper.

Tried this tonight and the tbone support brace still doesn't clear the factory bumper. Going to try and experiment more tomorrow.

V2 bumper then if they're available?

The front gearbox case is different on the new Kraton as well, so the alignment of the brace isn't right, even if you remove the factory bumper entirely.

V3 Kraton front gearbox case AR310854
V2 Kraton front gearbox case AR310427

Debating sending my kraton off to tbone so they can design up a new version.

Same issue here. Will it help if more of us escalate to TBone?

Same issue here. Will it help if more of us escalate to TBone?

Won't hurt to reinforce there is interest in getting this resolved for the V3 kraton owners.

I'm hoping to move soon, and if so will ship off my kraton to them when I pack up so they can sort out a solution, but until they get one to fiddle with we're on our own.

The vx4 does mount to the front gearbox. Two screws as a brace.

Weird, will have to look how the vx4 bolts up. I wish it covered a little more of the suspension arms, that's my only complaint about it.

I hear you there. Have already broken one and dented another a arm.

I mounted a 6 inch curved pro line led light bar behind it by chopping up a extra V2 battery tray I had. Wish I had the finished product photo on my phone but mounted it with the VX4 screws and it supports the bumper arms now for extra protection. Turned out really nice one I drilled out the holes.

Attachments

• IMG954113.jpg
    IMG954113.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 121
I'm glad they beef up the week parts on the newer versions. But some things that change to much cause problems for Hop up support.

Ok, so here is my inelegant, but functional, solution... a couple of #8 nuts to use as spacers, and some longer screws. Not the prettiest thing, but of all the solutions I tested these was by far the easiest, least invasive, and cheapest for someone else to replicate.

I used one nut on the gearbox side, and two on the bumper side. This appears to balance out the change in angle from the new gearbox case.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

• 20171219_211356.jpg
    20171219_211356.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 145
Not bad you might be able to use a few ballstud washers if they would fit? Hopefully they keep the old bumper around so people can still use the other bumpers and Voltage Hobbies front skid.

Not bad you might be able to use a few ballstud washers if they would fit? Hopefully they keep the old bumper around so people can still use the other bumpers and Voltage Hobbies front skid.

Yep ball stud washers would probably work even better, but I had the nuts on hand, and I think they are $2 for a bag of them at any home Depot.

I could definitely have also used shorter screws up front, but next time I take it off I'll swap them. Got a handy mixed m3 cap head set off of Amazon that has varying lengths from 16 to 35mm, and a way better deal then ordering screws 4 at a time from arrma or whatever.

With that bumper from what i can tell from your picture, T-bone should probably be able to make spacers and include them if needed for v3 . I like that arrma beefs up stuff but hope in the future they don't change things to much. It will help with vendors making newer stuff and newer vendors. Meaning if a after market part was made it can work on v1 to v? without them having to totally redesign. That's why some other RC's have so much aftermarket support. One of the reasons i started purchasing ARRMA they listen to their customers and make changes if needed:).

I would leave it also for now it don't look bad at all.

Last edited:
With that bumper from what i can tell from your picture, T-bone should probably be able to make spacers and include them if needed for v3 . I like that arrma beefs up stuff but hope in the future they don't change things to much. It will help with vendors making newer stuff and newer vendors. Meaning if a after market part was made it can work on v1 to v? without them having to totally redesign. That's why some other RC's have so much aftermarket support. One of the reasons i started purchasing ARRMA they listen to their customers and make changes if needed:).

I would leave it also for now it don't look bad at all.

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with this solution, and agree it should be pretty easy for tbone to make a little adapter for the v3..

I'm sure it's a balancing act with the manufacturers to try and keep things from messing with the aftermarket support, while still improving them. Can't complain too much about arrma since they have improved their lineup considerably, and yet almost all the aftermarket stuff is interchangeable between the versions. This bumper issue is a bit of an oddity no? I really wish they would just include a bumper from the factory that protects more of the suspension. The new glass filled nylon bumper is clearly tougher then the old one, but it has no more coverage.

here's some pics with the body on. No need to trim or anything, it fits basically perfect with the body juuuust barely touching the bumper support.

I hear you there. Have already broken one and dented another a arm.

I mounted a 6 inch curved pro line led light bar behind it by chopping up a extra V2 battery tray I had. Wish I had the finished product photo on my phone but mounted it with the VX4 screws and it supports the bumper arms now for extra protection. Turned out really nice one I drilled out the holes.

That's pretty neat, any chance of posting a pic of it on the car?

Attachments

• 20171220_172128-1.jpg
    20171220_172128-1.jpg
    270.9 KB · Views: 131
  • 20171220_172023.jpg
    20171220_172023.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 125
Looks good most people probably would think it was made like that.

The bumper is probably good on the v3 if nobody wanted to put a after market one on compared to the v2. As long as they keep the v2 bumper it will be an easy fix for the other bumpers?

I want to preface this by saying I emailed tbone racing before ordering their bumpers and they weren't 100% positive this stuff would fit the V3 kraton, i volunteered to be a guinea pig, and they have been absolutely great to work with.

So before I even took her out for a preliminary bash I went to bolt up my bumpers... rear fits perfectly, but the tweaks to the front end of the V3 kraton prevent the front bumper from mounting correctly.

The thrasher front bumper mounts to the underside of the chassis, and then uses a support brace to run from the vertical edge of the bumper back to the car. The chassis mounts fit perfect, but that brace is going to need some redesign for the V3.

Anyway if you're getting a kraton for the holidays, use some extra care, the redesigned front bumper from arrma is pretty strong, but does not protect the suspension arms...from say a fence post.... ask me how I know...

Yeah I just ground down on the bottom of the stock bumper and my t bone bumper went on just fine with no problems. It is super durable and already saved the truck multiple times! At first I was like Gus isn't going to fit and after looking at the v2 and v3 kraton I figured it out. I am sure t bone will be fixing this issue soon.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back