GoPro setup for filming rc’s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bicketybam

Back from vacation!
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Infraction
  4. Kraton 8S
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Kraton 4s
  7. Mojave
  8. Notorious
  9. Talion
  10. Typhon 6s
I’m interested in getting a GoPro for filming my RC’s and for fishing. I know nothing about GoPros and the last time I googled them it seemed like there were a ton of different models. I know some of you guys use them (@olds97_lss ). Can someone point me in the right direction? Model and whatever I need to mount it on my head. I don’t want to mount it on my truck. Thanks!

I’m interested in getting a GoPro for filming my RC’s and for fishing. I know nothing about GoPros and the last time I googled them it seemed like there were a ton of different models. I know some of you guys use them (@olds97_lss ). Can someone point me in the right direction? Model and whatever I need to mount it on my head. I don’t want to mount it on my truck. Thanks!
I have a GoPro hero5 Black it’s awesome. I ordered a kit from amazon that has alll the attachments head strap, body strap, tripod, selfie stick etc

I have a GoPro hero5 Black it’s awesome. I ordered a kit from amazon that has alll the attachments head strap, body strap, tripod, selfie stick etc

What did that set you back?

I got a APEMAN A80. For the price it's pretty good. Got stabilization and stuff like that. Also comes with the adjustable FOV just incase you don't like the crazy fish eye shots. The 4K thing is not true 4K but I don't use it. I just record in 1080p. Haven't had it for too long so not sure if its good for the long run.

Wow. They aren’t cheap.
Nope. Not even a little.

I almost bought the hero6, then I found that it uses a codec I wasn't sure I could deal with, h265. So I went with the hero5 black instead. I also have a hero5 session for onboard that I got used on ebay.

I record everything on the hero5 black at 1920x1080 at 120fps so I can get decent slow motion when I slow it down. The hero5 session will only go up to 60fps at 1920x1080. The hero6 can go higher at 1920x1080.

I just use a stupid looking setup for a holder to hang around my neck, so the camera rests on my chest. I don't wear hats and I really didn't want to have it strapped to my head. I mean, I'm already a grown middle aged man playing with toys at the skatepark... I need to retain a slim shred of dignity somehow. :)

2018-0713-GoProLanyard-01.jpg

The session just has an aluminum cage and both have gorilla glass protector on the lens with the black having it on the screen as well.
2018-0814-GoProHero5Session-Roadrash02.jpg

Last year I used a cheap akaso ek7000. It did ok, but topped out at 60fps and at some point, it got out of focus. If I tap it, it goes back, but 90% of my video with it was so blurry you couldn't see what was going on. I tried buying a second one, but it was all jacked up. It would overwrite it's own files even though I had it set not to. I sent that one back then got the h5black.

1920x1080@120fps is a bit of a pain to edit. With my ek7000 footage, I used the free microsoft movie editor. It didn't care for editing the 120fps stuff. Then when I got the session, I wanted to do PIP footage and MS Movie Editor couldn't do that, so I bought power director 16. That software downconverts all the video when I import it. When I get home from a bash, I put all the videos in a folder, then import them into the program. It takes hours for it to downcovert the footage for editing, but it's a lot easier to edit. Then when you generate the output, it uses the original file quality, or whatever you choose.

The only thing I don’t like about my camera is the battery life it sucks big time maybe 1.5hrs of recording time.

Olds97 get a proper chest strap lol. I hear you about the camera on your head I feel silly with it also sometimes but it does get some good footage

Olds97 get a proper chest strap lol. I hear you about the camera on your head I feel silly with it also sometimes but it does get some good footage
I had one, didn't like it. Felt like I was being bear hugged by a really weak guy all day.

As for battery life, I just buy a few extra packs. The gopro batteries only last an hour or so. I usually switch out the pack every 2 truck packs.

How about a transmitter mount? Works pretty good and knocks your nerd level down a few notches.

Also, there are some well regarded GoPro alternatives nowadays that are much cheaper. Gopro used to have a unique product but at this point you are just paying a pretty hefty premium for the name.

I just use a stupid looking setup for a holder to hang around my neck, so the camera rests on my chest. I don't wear hats and I really didn't want to have it strapped to my head. I mean, I'm already a grown middle aged man playing with toys at the skatepark... I need to retain a slim shred of dignity somehow. :)

This made me literally LOL ?

How about a transmitter mount? Works pretty good and knocks your nerd level down a few notches.

Also, there are some well regarded GoPro alternatives nowadays that are much cheaper. Gopro used to have a unique product but at this point you are just paying a pretty hefty premium for the name.

Having it on my chest works well for me. I just had to get out of the habit of turning my head to follow the truck and turn my body like batman... there went that last shred of dignity...

There are cheaper ones out there, which is why when I started I got the akaso camera. $70 or so got me started. But it was pretty fussy, would overheat and shut off, PQ was ok, but it was very fragile. The gopro's may be expensive, but if you don't want 120fps, you can get the cheaper gopro 2018 for $199 I think. It will still do 1920x1080@60fps. Then your still getting a solid camera that's shock resistant, waterproof and built well.
Hero 2018 - $189
Hero5 black - $239
Hero6 black - $343

When I got mine, they were $200, $300, $400.

Now they have the Hero7 and different colors/features... kind of lame they did that.
Hero7 white - $199
Hero7 Silver - $299
Hero7 Black - $399

I'm sure each are varying degrees of capability with the Black being the best, obviously, by price. So it seems they are still selling the hero4/5/6, but call them all hero7 with a different color instead. I haven't read up on any of those because since I bought mine, I was done buying cameras, so I haven't looked anymore. I only noticed this due to looking today. lol

I suggest to you the Yi 4K+ I like this cam and on many review it considered better than the Go Pro Hero 7, better stabilisation with 4K+ 4000x3800 at 60fps, it not waterproof like the Go Pro 7 but many guy try to submerge the Go Pro and each time water go inside lens. The Yi 4K+ cost 209$ and go pro7 400$

Yi 4K+ at amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/YI-4K-Action-Resolution-Control/dp/B01CW4AZ4M/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1545596228&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=yi+4K+&psc=1&smid=A7K6H818001EY

Waterprof case and adaptor for head and chest https://www.amazon.com/Kupton-Discovery-Waterproof-Housing-Handlebar/dp/B01HRJI38M/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1545596639&sr=8-6&keywords=yi+4K++waterproof+case

Last edited:
I suggest to you the Yi 4K+ I like this cam and on many review it considered better than the Go Pro Hero 7, better stabilisation with 4K+ 4000x3800 at 60fps, it not waterproof like the Go Pro 7 but many guy try to submerge the Go Pro and each time water go inside lens. The Yi 4K+ cost 209$ and go pro7 400$

Yi 4K+ at amazon.com https://www.amazon.com/YI-4K-Action-Resolution-Control/dp/B01CW4AZ4M/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1545596228&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=yi+4K+&psc=1&smid=A7K6H818001EY

Waterprof case and adaptor for head and chest https://www.amazon.com/Kupton-Discovery-Waterproof-Housing-Handlebar/dp/B01HRJI38M/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1545596639&sr=8-6&keywords=yi+4K++waterproof+case

From what I can see the Y4k+ offers the enhanced IS at 4k/30 but not at 4k/60 ?

From what I can see the Y4k+ offers the enhanced IS at 4k/30 but not at 4k/60 ?
Yes your right image stabilisation work with 4K at 30fps and lower resolution but control the image distortion at 4K 60fps. The go pro 7 black record 4K60fps but only on fish eye no linear footage.

"Having Hypersmooth stabilisation on the max 4K/60fps setting is a boon, but there are a couple of restrictions to bear in mind. Firstly, the ‘linear’ field of view still isn’t available in 4K recording, so you’ll have to shoot with the classic ‘fisheye’ look. And if you’re shooting extended clips in this mode, the Hero 7 Black does get very hot – in fact, mine started shutting down due to excessive heat after about 35 minutes. So it’s very much something to reserve for short clips.

Probably more useful are the Hero 7 Black’s slo-mo modes. You can shoot at 120fps in anything up to 2.7K resolution, or 240fps in up to 1080p."

And the guy that review the cam doesn't see a difference between go pro 7 and go pro 6 with image stabilisation when ride on go cart

https://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/gopro-hero-7-black

I'm interested in getting an action cam, I have 2 'important' criteria.

1. 1080p/240 slow motion
2. 4K/60 with effective stabilisation.

I wouldn't be shooting for more than a half hour straight so the potential overheat-shutdown shouldn't be a factor.

From everything I've read the only thing I can see that fits the bill is a Go Pro Hero 7 Black. Sadly it costs more than I want to pay, lol.

The go pro 7 or 6 doesn't have a standard thread 1/4" 20 and doe not fit on a standard tripod

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back