Granite Granite BLX w/Typhon A-arms (build)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BallZack413

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
This thread is for anyone with a Granite/Big Rock Blx that is looking to widen the stance with out wheel hub extension.

I decided to widen my Granite BLX with Tyhpon 3s BLX a-arms as it was much more cost effective than buying hub extensions. I could only find 12mm or 17mm hub extensions which would not fit the 14mm wheels so I would have had to buy new wheels (which I am not ready to do at this point. Wheels and hub extensions would have been over $100, Typon A-arms from rpm cost $25 for all 4.

What I found is that the Typon 3s BLX A-arms are really close to a half inch longer then stock Granite arms (center to center on the mounting holes). I meant to buy typhon 3s turnbuckles too as the stock ones need to be a half inch longer to match the arms. I accidentally bought stock granite turnbuckels and rod ends so I just opened them up a half inch longer then stock and installed them.

Overall it was fairly easy and everything bolted up. I am going to buy typhon 3s turnbuckles for the front and rear upper support as the stock ones turned out half and inch don't have as much thread length into the rod ends and might break.

Final review: I ran 2- 3s packs through my modified Granite tonight and I have to say it was awesome! So much more stable on all terrain! I can fly on pavement and hook a fast turn without flipping. The truck now does donuts on hardpack without flipping and overall handles way better. I did quite a bit of jumping and bashing (nothing too crazy) and everything held up well. I was worried about the stock turnbuckles being turned out as far as they are but they held up fine. I'm sure if I bring it to work and start launching dirt piles they will eventually let go. The typhoon turnbuckles are like $10 for 4 so all and all the price is roughly $35 and probably one of the best upgrades imo.

The photos are stock granite arms vs rpm Typon 3s arms, I pic of the truck with one typhon arm installed to show the difference and lastly a pick of the truck with all 4 arms upgraded

Attachments

• 20200525_152740.jpg
    20200525_152740.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 768
  • 20200525_151542.jpg
    20200525_151542.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 423
  • 20200525_154744.jpg
    20200525_154744.jpg
    289.2 KB · Views: 453
  • 20200525_151612.jpg
    20200525_151612.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 485
  • 20200525_164328.jpg
    20200525_164328.jpg
    327.7 KB · Views: 438
This thread is for anyone with a Granite/Big Rock Blx that is looking to widen the stance with out wheel hub extension.

I decided to widen my Granite BLX with Tyhpon 3s BLX a-arms as it was much more cost effective than buying hub extensions. I could only find 12mm or 17mm hub extensions which would not fit the 14mm wheels so I would have had to buy new wheels (which I am not ready to do at this point. Wheels and hub extensions would have been over $100, Typon A-arms from rpm cost $25 for all 4.

What I found is that the Typon 3s BLX A-arms are really close to a half inch longer then stock Granite arms (center to center on the mounting holes). I meant to buy typhon 3s turnbuckles too as the stock ones need to be a half inch longer to match the arms. I accidentally bought stock granite turnbuckels and rod ends so I just opened them up a half inch longer then stock and installed them.

Overall it was fairly easy and everything bolted up. I am going to buy typhon 3s turnbuckles for the front and rear upper support as the stock ones turned out half and inch don't have as much thread length into the rod ends and might break.

Final review: I ran 2- 3s packs through my modified Granite tonight and I have to say it was awesome! So much more stable on all terrain! I can fly on pavement and hook a fast turn without flipping. The truck now does donuts on hardpack without flipping and overall handles way better. I did quite a bit of jumping and bashing (nothing too crazy) and everything held up well. I was worried about the stock turnbuckles being turned out as far as they are but they held up fine. I'm sure if I bring it to work and start launching dirt piles they will eventually let go. The typhoon turnbuckles are like $10 for 4 so all and all the price is roughly $35 and probably one of the best upgrades imo.

The photos are stock granite arms vs rpm Typon 3s arms, I pic of the truck with one typhon arm installed to show the difference and lastly a pick of the truck with all 4 arms upgraded
Nice! I’m in the process of putting the Rpm typhon a Arms on my sons brcc amongst a bunch of other stuff. We have the 17mm hub extenders installed already but wanted more. I’m waiting on parts because I went to change To good bearings Kinda messed up the input shaft for the rear diff And. Now I’m waiting for parts.. We can’t wait to see how it handles afterwards. You got me pumped now to finish the build haha bash on!

Hi, I did this twice with granite and switched to stock a-arms each time. much better and you should know that a wider stance is not always the best for this type of truck ... handling is better, more stable, you really need to turn sharply to roll it over but if you have heavy wheels like proline mx28 you just hurt when watching when the car is moving ... the wheels hang much more ... it seems like they're going to crack at any time ... even the suspension doesn't hold up so well if you're jumping or doing heavy bashing ... I decided to leave my granite the way it is and buy a 3s typhon.

good luck with your replacement ?

@BallZack413 this is good reading thx for posting and the part numbers it has been something on my mind. Please keep us updated on more of your experience please!

@Mk_Rc thx for the post as well. I currently have the BLX 3s and I did the HR extenders with the Proline MX28 tires. I was trying to get a wider stand because I was flipping the rig on turns. I do not have this issue anymore with the HR extenders and tires but I feel in the end being a newbie still throttle control was the key but I do like that I can turn on a dime and not flip. There are times I do dislike the extenders. Once a pin came out and so I had to blue loctite the hub screw....but it is a pain in the #$% when I have to break them off to clean the bearings. So there are times when I wish I had the same setup extended but on the OEM hubs. Also, I have the OEM tires that are like new but cannot use on 17mm hubs so money lost there. Thx for the post

Hope others provide more feedback...the HR extender for 17mm works but I don't like it when I have to pull the hubs apart it can take a heat gun and some work at times.

Typhon 3s BLX turnbuckels arrma part #AR330542, need a total of 6, I believe they come in a 2 pack.

Typhon 3s BLX a arms, I got mine from RPM part number 80762 and 80842.

just did the same last weekend to my modified Mega brushless.
yes you need 6 turnbuckles, so you need 3 packs of it.

so far no issues with the longer arms.

If only the stock shocks would hold oil :LOL: but hey that's next on the upgrade list...

@Mk_good information! I knew just by looking at the typhon arms that they are not as beefy as the stock granite, add the half inch of length and extra leverage in a crash and they will probably break at some point. Never thought about the heavier tires tho, looks like I will keep those stock as long as I have the typhon arms on. I like it for now, I don't see myself changing it back unless stuff starts constantly breaking. Still gotta work out issues with the esc low voltage cut off and other things before I think about modding anything else.

Last edited:
If only the stock shocks would hold oil :LOL: but hey that's next on the upgrade list...

@Mk_good information! I knew just by looking at the typhon arms that they are not as beefy as the stock granite, add the half inch of length and extra leverage in a crash and they will probably break at some point. Never thought about the heavier tires tho, looks like I will keep those stock as long as I have the typhon arms on. I like it for now, I don't see myself changing it back unless stuff starts constantly breaking. Still gotta work out issues with the esc low voltage cut off and other things before I think about modding anything else.
Get a max 10sct esc and it will solve all the low voltage issues. Just don’t sink it in water like my son did haha. I bought the HR shock bodies front and rear. I haven’t had the time to build them yet but they are supposed to be better than stock and not leak. The typhon 6s shocks are hard to come by

I finally finished mines. And Now it sways to the left i follow all measurements right in the lenths fir the turnbuckles 82mm & 69mm steering and my wheels look like its too much chamber now but i just eye balled the chamber and now the wheel are straight but its sways to the right now anybody kno why?

9A26D9EA-1539-4738-8DD2-8A47E5D186D3.jpeg

45104280-B7E5-4130-AA47-1C1E1736DBC1.jpeg

I finally finished mines. And Now it sways to the left i follow all measurements right in the lenths fir the turnbuckles 82mm & 69mm steering and my wheels look like its too much chamber now but i just eye balled the chamber and now the wheel are straight but its sways to the right now anybody kno why?

View attachment 101303

View attachment 101304

See if these suggestions work...bearings is very easy to check:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/i-am-having-a-problem-with-my-steering.27308/

Hi, I did this twice with granite and switched to stock a-arms each time. much better and you should know that a wider stance is not always the best for this type of truck ... handling is better, more stable, you really need to turn sharply to roll it over but if you have heavy wheels like proline mx28 you just hurt when watching when the car is moving ... the wheels hang much more ... it seems like they're going to crack at any time ... even the suspension doesn't hold up so well if you're jumping or doing heavy bashing ... I decided to leave my granite the way it is and buy a 3s typhon.

good luck with your replacement ?
I'm running a Granite with Typhon arms. Handling is different, but not the way you describe. Longer arms will make steering response less quick because you're turning on a wider arc. Also longer arms flex more, which will also make steering response less quick. But the Typhon arms have no problem handling MX28's, I run MX28's as well as heavier Trenchers. As for jumping, longer arms provide MORE flex and cushion for jumping. So more stability, less rollover, softer landings is what you gain, slightly slower steering response is what you lose. The Granite is a very quick turner to begin with and with Typhon arms it will still turn quicker than many RC's. Plus, one turn of your steering turnbuckles and slightly stiffening your shocks immediately fixes the slightly slower response.

Last edited:
I'm running a Granite with Typhon arms. Handling is different, but not the way you describe. Longer arms will make steering response less quick because you're turning on a wider arc. Also longer arms flex more, which will also make steering response less quick. But the Typhon arms have no problem handling MX28's, I run MX28's as well as heavier Trenchers. As for jumping, longer arms provide MORE flex and cushion for jumping. So more stability, less rollover, softer landings is what you gain, slightly slower steering response is what you lose. The Granite is a very quick turner to begin with and with Typhon arms it will still turn quicker than many RC's. Plus, one turn of your steering turnbuckles and slightly stiffening your shocks immediately fixes the slightly slower response.
I bought typhon 3s and solve my problems ?

Back